Tamales for family Christmas party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exactly what I was thinking. I had seen so many of them when I lived in Texas. I have never had nimble fingers. And I would see these Mexican children sitting in their yard making these dolls from corn husks to be sold . I once asked the kids that lived across the street from me to teach me. They started to laugh when I was done. The boy took it in the house to show his mother. I heard her laugh also. So much for my nimble fingers.

Good luck CWS. You will now have another means of expressing your individuality. I can only envy you from afar. Although I can make some very impressive reindeer candy canes. One year I made more than 300 of them for the party for the homeless kids of Boston to be passed out for the party that the City throws for them. :angel:

I was thinking more in the lines of in the kitchen...LOL! I have more Christmas ornaments than I care to put out, so don't think I need more! But I do like the angels....

I was thinking more in the lines of in the kitchen...LOL! I have more Christmas ornaments than I care to put out, so don't think I need more! But I do like the angels....

Here;s a few recipes I've located for you.

1.Salmon in Corn Husks Recipe : Marcela Valladolid : Food Network

2. Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloins in Corn Husks with Cranberry-Avocado Salsa Recipe | Epicurious.com

3. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/charred-corn-husk-oil-dressing

4. http://www.chow.com/recipes/29868-corn-husk-wrapped-grilled-halibut-with-charred-corn-salsa

I hope one or more of those helps inspire you. I'm thinking that there has to be a way to use corn husks to make a desert.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tamales 101 by Alice Guadeloupe Tapp has every tamale recipe imaginable including dessert tamales!

Sent from my 831C using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I love making tamales, but it does take time. Still - if the time is there, they are so fun to make. Like playing with Play-Doh as a child and so rewarding when served to family and friends!!!

I love making tamales, but it does take time. Still - if the time is there, they are so fun to make. Like playing with Play-Doh as a child and so rewarding when served to family and friends!!!

That is why Mama Lupe took all day Monday when the place was closed to make them for the week. I stopped in one Monday to see if I could be of any help. She politely told me she had it down to a routine and it would be better if she didn't have any help. After watching her for about 30 minutes, I understood exactly what she meant. She did show me how to take the husks out of the packages and line them up. I also got to make some strips to tie them. I could hardly keep up with her. Good heavens, her hands were flying! :angel:

You guys should see the fat that came off the pork stock for the tamales. It's so plentiful I am considering using it for the lard for the masa. What do you think?

Heck yeah I'd use it too. I'm betting it has more flavor also! GG isn't it you who also uses some whole kernel corn in your Massa too? That sounds brilliant to me.

Last edited:
Yes, I use Marcela Valladolid's recipe. It tastes just like the ones made by a local restaurant owned by two Bolivian sisters. I love the pop of crunch and sweetness you get when you eat them.

This is just for the masa, so you can fill it with whatever you want.

Easy Corn Tamales Recipe : Marcela Valladolid : Food Network

IF I ever make tamale's again, I'll be using that recipe GG. The "pop, crunch and sweetness" would put that Masa right over the top even if you only have frozen corn kernels! :yum:

60 tamales wrapped and waiting for their steam bath. They won't win any most beautiful tamales contest but they taste good. I'm pooped. I hope it's worth it and my family likes them

60 tamales wrapped and waiting for their steam bath. They won't win any most beautiful tamales contest but they taste good. I'm pooped. I hope it's worth it and my family likes them

:clap::zorro::punk: Atta girl, fairygirl and thanks for the report...put up your feet now and enjoy!

Yes, I use Marcela Valladolid's recipe. It tastes just like the ones made by a local restaurant owned by two Bolivian sisters. I love the pop of crunch and sweetness you get when you eat them.

This is just for the masa, so you can fill it with whatever you want.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/easy-corn-tamales-recipe.html

This sounds great, but if you purée the corn until smooth, where does "the pop of crunch" come from? Just curious, I wonder if you could leave some of the corn kernels whole?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

This sounds great, but if you purée the corn until smooth, where does "the pop of crunch" come from? Just curious, I wonder if you could leave some of the corn kernels whole?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Bunny, although the recipe reads to blend the corn till smooth, on the video she contradicts that by saying to leave some texture. Too bad the recipe doesn't read that way also.

Bunny....I hear ya - it sounds weird to me, too. I can't imagine making tamales from fresh cut corn off the cob in a blender :ohmy: for tamales that very night. Marcela's recipes may be good, but this one just doesn't make sense to me. :ermm:

The ladies around here that make fresh tamales use masa, and either lard or corn oil, and maybe some chicken stock. I've never heard of a tamale with chunks of corn in the masa.

Yay! Can't wait to hear how the family likes them! Thanks for the update!

Somebunny and Kayelle, I don't remember. I thought the recipe said to reserve 1/2 cup of corn kernels to stir in at the end. I do remember that I didn't purée it until absolutely smooth; it seemed to take too long and I wanted the texture of the ones from the restaurant. I also saw that episode, so maybe I remembered it from that. Anyway, I made that change in my own copy of the recipe and I really like it. Sorry for the confusion :)

And Kayelle, I do use frozen corn. I also used lard instead of butter because I was looking at her recipe and Rick Bayless's and his specified lard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom