Tamales for family Christmas party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
I was planning on making pork tamales in advance for our family Christmas party and then freezing them and reheating them Christmas morning for lunch. Can this be done and how?

Yes. Make the tamales and steam them. Let them cool, then wrap and freeze. You can steam to reheat from frozen or thaw and steam when you're ready to eat them. I've done this with store-bought and homemade and both work fine.

I worked in a small café Mexican eatery in Texas and the cook every Monday morning did exactly as GG told you. Only she made a pile of them for the week. She put a layer of parchment paper between each row of Tamales. They were placed in a large metal pan and popped into the freezer for the week. 99% of her clientèle were Mexican and had not idea that they had been frozen. They along with me thought they were wonderful. :angel:

Have you made tamale's before? It's a two day job. The first day you make the filling, the next day you fill them. I know this now, not then. Too much work for me now, and I'd just as soon buy them.

I agree with Kayelle. A huge amount of work. I have bought them from some local tamale ladies, and they freeze just fine.

I was planning on making pork tamales in advance for our family Christmas party and then freezing them and reheating them Christmas morning for lunch. Can this be done and how?

It can all be done in one day/solo..If your left uninterrupted.
The local ladies, myself included usually go to our local Hispanic grocery store and by a few Lbs of pre made dough.Not all of them have the resources to do that.While your there they can point out what size steamer would suit you.It's a cheaper and most times guaranteed in time and taste by the stores.If your not happy they probably have already heard and will give you a free batch.The dough is made twice daily around here.

Trust me tell them what your planning they will point you out to all the the right ingredients and methods on how to make your own.Right down to the best spices to use for any type of meat.

They can be frozen ahead of time.Don't forget the ziploc bags :)

It can all be done in one day/solo..If your left uninterrupted.

Only if you're super woman.

I know my way around a kitchen alright but making everything required for tamale's SOLO in one day is flirting with an emotional and physical breakdown! I made 50 of them by myself in one day and long into the night when I was a young woman. Never again! I'll gladly pay to have them made by a family of experts.

Last edited:
Only if you're super woman.

I know my way around a kitchen alright but making everything required for tamale's SOLO in one day is flirting with an emotional and physical breakdown! I made 50 of them by myself in one day and long into the night when I was a young woman. Never again! I'll gladly pay to have them made by a family of experts.

Ok, I'm a Flirty Super Woman.:LOL::wub:

You can make the pork filling in the slow cooker overnight and then make the tamales the next day. It is a huge amount of work. A margarita or two might help ;)

Last edited:
I've made them once and they were every bit as good as the handmade tamales made by a Mexican friend who was selling them at Christmas one year. I'm going to take the long route and do it in at least three days. My anglophile family will be in for a new experience. My niece who is hosting Christmas wanted Mexican food and she's going to get some. ?

Sent from my 831C using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I would need more than one or two margaritas :ermm::LOL:. I can't imagine having the time to make homemade tamales during the holidays, but that's just me. The Latino families here that make and sell them do a much better job that I could ever do - I would be happy to pay them for their skills and amazing homemade tamales. I've seen one family in action, they have an assembly line going and are so organized, it was a real treat to watch. :chef:

edited...posting at the same time as you, fairygirl...I hope it all goes well for you! My family once wanted a Mexican feast for Christmas dinner, so Mexican feast it was. It's not always about turkey or ham! :)

Last edited:
I've made them once and they were every bit as good as the handmade tamales made by a Mexican friend who was selling them at Christmas one year. I'm going to take the long route and do it in at least three days. My anglophile family will be in for a new experience. My niece who is hosting Christmas wanted Mexican food and she's going to get some. ?

Good for you fairygirl. I didn't mean to discourage you, and a three day plan is very smart thinking if you're doing it solo. Maybe everyone who loves them should cook them at least once, if for no other reason than to appreciate the work involved. Frankly, I'd love to be right in the action of making them as a big family. Now that sounds like great fun!

The trick is to make a huge batch you can freeze. That way you have them when you want them.

As long as I prepare the filling ahead of time, I make my tamales in a couple of hours. But I cheat, instead of placing the masa dough into a softened corn husk, filling, and shaping. I spread the dough on parchment paper, place the filling on top, and use the paper as you would a sushi mat to roll the dough around the filling. I then encase the tamale in the same paper, and place a bunch of them into the steamer. While they steam, I make the sauce.

DW likes her tamales filled with shredded beef. I like mine with pork. I have had them filled with desert fillings by a wonderful Spanish Lady whose bird cage I cleaned with the help of a companion, in San Diego. In our church, we have assigned families we visit to assist them, and just to get to know each other. This was an elderly woman. She always made us some kind of goodie to make sure we'd visit each month. Her flans, tamales, etc. were fantastic.

The tamales taste the same whether made in corn husks, or parchment paper. just so's ya knows.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As long as I prepare the filling ahead of time, I make my tamales in a couple of hours. But I cheat, instead of placing the masa dough into a softened corn husk, filling, and shaping. I spread the dough on parchment paper, place the filling on top, and use the paper as you would a sushi mat to roll the dough around the filling. I then encase the tamale in the same paper, and place a bunch of them into the steamer. While they steam, I make the sauce.

DW likes her tamales filled with shredded beef. I like mine with pork. I have had them filled with desert fillings by a wonderful Spanish Lady whose bird cage I cleaned with the help of a companion, in San Diego. In our church, we have assigned families we visit to assist them, and just to get to know each other. This was an elderly woman. She always made us some kind of goodie to make sure we'd visit each month. Her flans, tamales, etc. were fantastic.

The tamales taste the same whether made in corn husks, or parchment paper. just so's ya knows.

:w00t2:Authentic tamale's without corn husks or banana leaves??:w00t2:

I do a mean Tamale Pie. ;):yum:

:w00t2:Authentic tamale's without corn husks or banana leaves??:w00t2:

I do a mean Tamale Pie. ;):yum:

As long as it's a flavorless wrapper, and non-edible, and gives the same quality and results, I say my tamales are just as authentic.:-p

Bet you couldn't tell the difference if blindfolded. But I also think you'd end up with more tamale on your shirt.:LOL:

Oh my gosh! I just started the pork for the tamales in the slow cooker with some veggies chicken base and homemade chili powder. It was so tender it was like butter! Since it was a ten lb pork shoulder I snuck a small sandwich. Oooh I can't wait for the tamales to be ready!

Back
Top Bottom