"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #31
Head Chef

Hi Mexico Karen you can count me in :-) I am so sick of the cold in Chicago, I wish I did not have so much family here and then I would move to some place warm.

In the spirit of keeping my two cultures alive my Thanksgiving menu will have all the traditional dishes but with an Indian twist. My turkey will be cooked and then a tandoori glaze will go on it so that it has a bright red and spicy crust on it.

My stuffing will have all the traditional ingredients but it will have cumin powder, corrainder powder, some spice and a little cilantro and curry leaves added to it.

My sweet potato souffle or the recipe that Amy on this board gave me for sweet potato balls will have cardamom added to it instead of cinnamon.

I will leave the gravy untouched and the mash potatoes will be untouched as well so made the traditional way.

My cranberry sauce that I always make every year will have fresh orange juice, fresh orange slices and some chili and cumin. Almost like a sweet chutney that Indians make with mangoes.

I think it should be fun this year with the twist. I have never attempted twist before so wish me goodluck

Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Thanksgiving is pretty traditional for us because we like it, and all the leftovers it brings.

Free Range fresh turkey (local farm), seasoned the night before, roasted over root veg
but of course fresh made stock for the gravy.
2 stuffings (dressings) sausage pecan wild rice and bacon oyster.
mashed potatoes with swedes (rutabaga)
chopped carrots and turnips
local baby sprouts roasted with pancetta and garlic, balsamic tossed
roasted haymans (local heirloom white sweet potato
yeast rolls (my first time)
pumpkin pie

sis will bring the pies (she's the expert there) and will help with the veg. I'm the stock sauce and gravy guy, and the bird actually takes very little effort once it is roasting.

the payoff: wonderful smells all day long, a great meal with family and friends, several leftover creations after the second meal of the same next day, and eventually turkey soup somewhere mid January!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
Head Chef

Oh this all sounds so good! Laury, I'm thinking we may have to '86' the tamales and go to Vera's for Thanksgiving - with a stop in Chicago for some of Yakuta's tandoori turkey...that sounds delicious!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Nope, I'm sticking with your tamales. We can always go get some of Vera's and Yakuta's leftovers on Friday!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #35
Senior Cook

One more thing Karen. Acini de pepe is a tiny pasta shape. So it's some kind of a pasta salad. Hope they share the recipe!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #36
Head Chef

I guess Laury is right - and thanks to her, I have some beautiful new placemats and new candleholders to grace my Thanksgiving table...we drove up to Sayulita this morning to shop for them. Beautiful blue sky, gorgeous surf, tropical breeze - but it doesn't quite feel like Thanksgiving to either of us!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
How wonderful to be dining al fresco for the holiday. I hope the weather cooperates and it's a spectacular event.

We always enjoy a variety of cheeses and crackers/breads in the parlour with cocktails. The traditional cocktail is Rob Roys. Lou and I wait patiently for Thanksgiving, not so quietly jonesing for them.

First course is a huge antipasto platter with genoa salami, mortadella, ham, prosciutto, sharp provolone, marinated mushrooms, marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers, three types of olives and anchovies (kept on the side for those who desire them).

Second course is the one course than has priveledge to change each year. Some years it s a soup, others it a pasta. This year, my daughter is making home made jumbo (very jumbo, she says) ravioli, stuffed with ground veal and pancetta, ricotta salade and fresh parsley. she's making a simple sauce of sauteed tomato, garlic and basil.

Third course is the turkey with sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, buttered corn, home made apple sauce and cranberry sauce and a very special family recipe for a lemon creme mold. Some would consider that dessert instead of part of the entree, but I've discovered that the sweet lemony taste compliments the spicy sausage stuffing in the most magnificent way.

I make the bread, usually a cranberry walnut braid, corn bread, and brioche rolls.

There is always a bowl of assorted nuts to be cracked right after the main course.

Dessert, this year is a pecan pumpkin tart, steamed chocolate pudding with port hard sauce, and cream puffs. Dessert changes a bit, each year as well. The rest of the menu has very very little wiggle room.
VeraBlue, I would love to know what lemon creme mold is. The name implies that is something that I would find quite tasty. I would love to have the recipe.

P.S. Your Apple Cake is wicked!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #38
Master Chef

Kim's going to deep fry a couple of turkeys (may as well, while the grease is hot), I'm going to make dressing, mashed potatoes and turkey gravy (jarred gravy enhanced with the broth from the giblets), and Pillsbury frozen dinner rolls. I will also make a crumb-top pear pie using a quart of home canned pears my friend gave me. My daughter is bringing her green bean casserole, which she tops with stuffing mix instead of onions, and a sugar-free pumpkin pie, topped with Cool Whip (which we all prefer to whipped cream).
Our grandson has diabetes I, but on special occasions he gets to eat pretty much anything he wants, and just takes a bigger shot of insulin. Since he is an active, growing boy, and not overweight, it's surprising how much he does get to eat.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieV View Post
I think our menu is set now but Mom went into the hospital yesterday so things might change.

1/2 Turkey with stuffing
how to you stuff a half turkey?

we don't celebrate Thanksgiving as much as you do, but DH wants to have a turkey, but I don't know what we two shall do with a whole bird..
Thought about inviting some friends, but they are all over Germany and to get them together at the table at one date seems to be impossible..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #40
Cook

No one is having Mac and cheese this Thanksgiving?

I sure am hurt.