Thanksgiving 2008 - Menu/Dinner Plans/Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how to you stuff a half turkey? :huh:

we don't celebrate Thanksgiving as much as you do, but DH wants to have a turkey, but I don't know what we two shall do with a whole bird..
Thought about inviting some friends, but they are all over Germany and to get them together at the table at one date seems to be impossible..

i cooked a turkey and there is only me. only paid 3.88 for it. to good to pass up. tomorrow will portion it and freeze. some for pot pie and some for soup down the road. if that was all i did, it would pay for itself. can freeze some sliced for sandwiches. good e.r. stuff for unexpected guests. so make him a turkey. lol

I'm going to MexicoKaren's!!!

Standard fare here:

My ex MIL's broccoli casserole
sweet potato casserole or some sort of sweet potato dish
mashed potatoes
brined and smoked turkey
oyster dressing
wild mushroom bread pudding
rosemary/pine nut peas
roasted brussels sprouts drizzled with a reduced balsamic glaze
some sort of cranberry sauce with port and shallots
acini de pepi salad (Frog Eye Salad)
wild rice salad with dried figs
some sort of bread
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
slice of sin (chocolate dessert)

I feel sure I'm missing something...

All recipes available upon request. I just don't have the time to post them all right now.
We're having what she's having!

Let me know if we can bring something (in addition to doggie-bags, that is!).

:)Barbara

Had considered stuffing and cooking a Cornish hen for myself. First time in 41 years I haven't cooked a turkey. I LOVE cooking a turkey. The smell alone is sensual and promises wonderful things.

However, a few days ago, one of our sons called and asked me if I would join him and his family for the holiday. So...for the first time in my life, I'm going to drive a serious distance (to Atlanta, GA) and have Thanksgiving with three of our five children and all of our grandchildren.

I've been asked to bring "Mom's special potato rolls," our traditional no-bake pumpkin pie, "green" salad, and cut-out cookies.

Being the mom that I am, all their requests will be granted.

We are keeping it simple this year again:
Roasted Turkey Breast in a cranberry sauce
Dressing and gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Sauted green beans
Dinner roles
And for dessert pecan pie with french vanilla ice cream.

Our dinner menu is a tradition I don't mess with too much. But our apps are always different, w/shrimp always on the app menu. We'll do turkey breast and ham (don't like to mess with the big bird anymore), my cranberry sauce (have to have that!) with red wine, ginger, golden raisens, etc., mashed tators with carmlized onions and white cheddar. Instead of sauteed bacon and onion in the green beans I'll switch with Pancetta and shallots. I may sub my pumpkin pie crust with a gingersnap graham cracker crust.

That sounds tasty.

How wonderful to be dining al fresco for the holiday. I hope the weather cooperates and it's a spectacular event.

We always enjoy a variety of cheeses and crackers/breads in the parlour with cocktails. The traditional cocktail is Rob Roys. Lou and I wait patiently for Thanksgiving, not so quietly jonesing for them.

First course is a huge antipasto platter with genoa salami, mortadella, ham, prosciutto, sharp provolone, marinated mushrooms, marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers, three types of olives and anchovies (kept on the side for those who desire them).

Second course is the one course than has priveledge to change each year. Some years it s a soup, others it a pasta. This year, my daughter is making home made jumbo (very jumbo, she says) ravioli, stuffed with ground veal and pancetta, ricotta salade and fresh parsley. she's making a simple sauce of sauteed tomato, garlic and basil.

Third course is the turkey with sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, buttered corn, home made apple sauce and cranberry sauce and a very special family recipe for a lemon creme mold. Some would consider that dessert instead of part of the entree, but I've discovered that the sweet lemony taste compliments the spicy sausage stuffing in the most magnificent way.

I make the bread, usually a cranberry walnut braid, corn bread, and brioche rolls.

There is always a bowl of assorted nuts to be cracked right after the main course.

Dessert, this year is a pecan pumpkin tart, steamed chocolate pudding with port hard sauce, and cream puffs. Dessert changes a bit, each year as well. The rest of the menu has very very little wiggle room.

Sounds intresting. Care to share??

No one is having Mac and cheese this Thanksgiving?

I sure am hurt.

I am not, but a friend of mine is. I am making a LARGE dish of Mac-n-Cheese for a friend, in return he is deep frying me two Turkey Breasts.
In response to someone (I forgot who), I plan on buying a turkey leg and maybe wings to roast to make my gravy. Also having Mashed Sweet Potatoes with nut topping, Stuffing(dressing), Bacon seasoned Green Beans, Mashed white potatoes, Glorified Cauliflower, Cranberry Sauce, Corn and Yeast Rolls. Pumpkin, Apple, Pear Pies.
I wanted to have Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham, but I have been buying too much "Fire King Jadeite" to afford that now. I hope to make it for Christmas.

I am not, but a friend of mine is. I am making a LARGE dish of Mac-n-Cheese for a friend, in return he is deep frying me two Turkey Breasts.
In response to someone (I forgot who), I plan on buying a turkey leg and maybe wings to roast to make my gravy. Also having Mashed Sweet Potatoes with nut topping, Stuffing(dressing), Bacon seasoned Green Beans, Mashed white potatoes, Glorified Cauliflower, Cranberry Sauce, Corn and Yeast Rolls. Pumpkin, Apple, Pear Pies.
I wanted to have Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham, but I have been buying too much "Fire King Jadeite" to afford that now. I hope to make it for Christmas.

Patty1, I live in Maryland, closer to D.C., and I have heard of Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham. I heard it is really good, but labor intensive to make. Looks like you have a pretty good spread going on. Happy Thanksgiving.

i cooked a turkey and there is only me. only paid 3.88 for it. to good to pass up. tomorrow will portion it and freeze. some for pot pie and some for soup down the road. if that was all i did, it would pay for itself. can freeze some sliced for sandwiches. good e.r. stuff for unexpected guests. so make him a turkey. lol

how big is the bird? I'll have to see if I may get a small one..
still consider that for the new year..

Patty1, I live in Maryland, closer to D.C., and I have heard of Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham. I heard it is really good, but labor intensive to make. Looks like you have a pretty good spread going on. Happy Thanksgiving.

My avatar is Stuffed Ham. You are right, it is simple, but labor intensive. I love it! It is a tradiation to have it (brought to room tempture) with scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast the morning of or the day after the holiday. I have had Bean Soup made with the bone and Stuffed Ham Pizza, I personally don't like either.

Thank you, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

how big is the bird? I'll have to see if I may get a small one..
still consider that for the new year..

New Years day is Pork Roast, sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes and Black Eyed Peas and kale(greens).

this meal has been slow in coming together related to too many unknowns....even though we will be having three dinners this Thanksgiving, it looks like it will be just dh and me on Thursday, so..

pork chops, kadesmas onion gravy recipe
mashed and garlicked yukon gold potatoes
corn maque choux
braised collard greens
whole wheat dinner rolls

probably no dessert, but I have had a strange hankering for home made butterscotch pudding, never made it before, but would not be surprised if I give it a try in the next couple of days

Back
Top Bottom