Thanksgiving 2015 - Planning Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We aren't big fans of turkey, so we will probably follow our new tradition of doing something interesting with chicken.

PF, congratulations on your new house and having the holiday is one of the things that makes a house a home.

Try to take the day before off from work too. There are some things that can be done several days/ even the weekend before. Then there is a whole lot you can do the day before, like chop veggies for the stuffing, peel the potatoes, put in water and keep cold overnight. Everything takes longer to prepare than you may anticipate. Cooking a serving of potatoes for 2 is not the same as prepping a 10 lb bag... Also if you can pace yourself, you can actually enjoy the holiday as it happens.

Make lists.

Oh, and buy butter or margarine if it ever goes on sale before now and the holiday. Toss in the freezer. Everything gets a pat or a chunk of butter, the taters, sweet potatoes, stuffing, bread rolls, well maybe not everything, but pretty near. Don't forget the cranberries !

Last edited:
As someone already pointed out, I have done cooking for crowds during fire season in Montana. So this should be a snap. Here I have to deal with those that are not appreciative of the work involved and are vocal about it. Those firefighters ate anything I put in front of therm.

So, I will have more than cooking for 2 and less than cooking for 200-500. I'll figure it out. Unfortunately I will likely not have the day off before, seeing as I work night shifts, I will get home about 6 in the morning on Thanksgiving. Everything will work out. I have two Sisters, a Brother and a Mom who are willing to help out.

...Here I have to deal with those that are not appreciative of the work involved and are vocal about it. Those firefighters ate anything I put in front of them...
The difference between family, and people who's job it is to be of service to those in need. :D The second group doesn't expect people to serve them, so they are grateful. The first group? Not so much. :glare:

I'm going to make a sign that says, "Buffet - just a fancy word that meas 'Get it yourself!'"

Now that is a plan! Go for it. But who is going to carve the star of the show? :angel:

I never carve at the table. I remove the breasts whole, then cut them against the grain so that everyone gets crispy skin, and a well propotioned piece of meat that is more tender and juicy. The slices, both dark and light, are laid out on the platter in the positions that they would have been found on the carcass. The oysters and other back meat are form the cooks, and whoever I choose to be that special someone for the dinner. The carcass is then broken down so as to fit in a soup pot and simmered to create the broth for that obligatory soup that will be eaten for following meals. Nothing is wasted. I share the neck, and any innards with the few in my family besides me who will eat them. I find them delicious.

Carving at the table is dramatic, but cumbersome at best, and gives only one or two people that yummy skin.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I never carve at the table. I remove the breasts whole, then cut them against the grain so that everyone gets crispy skin, and a well propotioned piece of meat that is more tender and juicy. The slices, both dark and light, are laid out on the platter in the positions that they would have been found on the carcass. The oysters and other back meat are form the cooks, and whoever I choose to be that special someone for the dinner. The carcass is then broken down so as to fit in a soup pot and simmered to create the broth for that obligatory soup that will be eaten for following meals. Nothing is wasted. I share the neck, and any innards with the few in my family besides me who will eat them. I find them delicious.

Carving at the table is dramatic, but cumbersome at best, and gives only one or two people that yummy skin.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I always got the neck as a kid. But when I started to make my own holidays, I presented the turkey so everyone could see it, and back into the kitchen for carving. Your choice, white, dark meat, or both. I still get the neck though. :angel:

I agree that carving at the table is much overrated. Easier to make a good presentation on a platter after carving on the kitchen counter where there is more room for maneuvering.

I like carving the breast of chicken that way too, off the bone and then across the grain. Makes nice chunks/slices.

Turns out Brother and crew may not be there if he has to work. That cuts it down by 7 people. Will know more in November about that. It might be just us and Mom & Dad...it that is the case we will have a Cajun inspired meal. Weather is very dependent on the how many we are expecting. If it's bad out, my Sisters won't be here either.

Turns out Brother and crew may not be there if he has to work. That cuts it down by 7 people. Will know more in November about that. It might be just us and Mom & Dad...it that is the case we will have a Cajun inspired meal. Weather is very dependent on the how many we are expecting. If it's bad out, my Sisters won't be here either.

Relax and cook the foods that mean Thanksgiving to you and Shrek.

Holidays have always been sort of "loaves and fishes" type meals, if they all show up everyone will get fed. If the weather is bad you may end up feeding a whole new bunch of family and friends that get pulled out of a snowdrift by the highway patrol! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite meal to make. It's also the easiest IMO. Once the turkey is stuffed and in the oven, the rest is, well....just gravy! LOL

Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite meal to make. It's also the easiest IMO. Once the turkey is stuffed and in the oven, the rest is, well....just gravy! LOL

For the past twenty-three years Shrek and I have tried out different cultures foods for Thanksgiving. I would pick whatever country and come up with a menu. Now that there is family involved, they expect traditional...I can do that, too!:)

This is my problem too. I love to prepare traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I start a week or two before and fit stuff in as needed until the day before when the action gets hectic. And dinner is always late. My kids make book on when dinner will actually be ready.

This is my problem too. I love to prepare traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I start a week or two before and fit stuff in as needed until the day before when the action gets hectic. And dinner is always late. My kids make book on when dinner will actually be ready.

I'm with you guys. I have 360 odd other days to try different things. For me Thanksgiving is the one day each year where I expect turkey with all the trimmings. I may make occasional modifications to some of the trimmings, but the guest of honor is a necessity. :yum:

There aren't any leftovers that are as good as Thanksgiving leftovers. The turkey, stuffing, cranberries...all of it, delicious!

I couldn't imagine having picky family members being vocal about what they did and did not want. In our family it's usually a pot luck, the turkey is cooked at the hosts house. If someone doesn't like how someone cooks a certain dish, they bring their version and nobody thinks much of it.

My menu will likely be very similar to recent years, pretty much everyone likes everything I make.

Gravy, there has to be homemade gravy.

We often go to my M-I-L's home for Thanksgiving. My B-I-L complained the time I helped with the turkey. The white meat wasn't dry enough for his taste. :wacko:

We often go to my M-I-L's home for Thanksgiving. My B-I-L complained the time I helped with the turkey. The white meat wasn't dry enough for his taste. :wacko:

The first time I gave my sister a juicy chicken breast to eat, she cut into it and asked if I was sure it was done.

Back
Top Bottom