"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I fear if I go to my cousin's this year, I go alone. DH did not like the food at all.
One year when we had an exchange student with us, I invited us to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving, because she has four kids and several grandkids and I wanted to show our student a family Thanksgiving.

OMG! I love her, but she cooked the turkey two days before because it's easier to carve cold The gravy and stuffing were from a packet and box mix. My cousin brought pecan pie from a grocery store. The only homemade fresh food was the mashed potatoes my second cousin brought and the broccoli-cauliflower-cheese casserole I made.

I cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner that Saturday so we would have a good dinner and yummy leftovers.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
Senior Cook

We get a free-range, organic, fresh turkey. Started this about five years and will never go back to frozen or injected birds. The flavors are so much more intense IMO. Traditional all the way with the stuffing (in the bird) and dressing in a casserole, homemade cranberries, creamed onions, yams, mashed potatoes and homemade pumpkin pie. Leftovers of Thanksgiving are the best. I think I look forward to the leftovers more than to the meal.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
PF, your oven looks fairly clean. I'd give it a try. As long as it works, chances are it will be fine.
Thanks Andy!

I preheated it, smells like a hot oven. Not sure what temp I got, you would think I could find an oven thermometer around here. But it works fine and it was quick to get to the set temp.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving 2015 - Planning Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
One year when we had an exchange student with us, I invited us to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving, because she has four kids and several grandkids and I wanted to show our student a family Thanksgiving.

OMG! I love her, but she cooked the turkey two days before because it's easier to carve cold The gravy and stuffing were from a packet and box mix. My cousin brought pecan pie from a grocery store. The only homemade fresh food was the mashed potatoes my second cousin brought and the broccoli-cauliflower-cheese casserole I made.

I cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner that Saturday so we would have a good dinner and yummy leftovers.

I can totally relate! I've bought a turkey breast, cooked it, made dressing and fresh cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and most importantly, GRAVY! When we returned home after the 3 hour trip. Just to wash the taste of my cousin's meal out!

Bless her heart, I have no idea what she feeds her DH, or how her kids ever grew to adulthood. Come to think of it, they all look kind of skinny and pallid.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
I can totally relate! I've bought a turkey breast, cooked it, made dressing and fresh cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and most importantly, GRAVY! When we returned home after the 3 hour trip. Just to wash the taste of my cousin's meal out!

Bless her heart, I have no idea what she feeds her DH, or how her kids ever grew to adulthood. Come to think of it, they all look kind of skinny and pallid.
A funny scene from a movie whose name I can't remember comes to mind. The setting was the deep South. In he scene, one of the actresses states that in the South, women have found a way to justify saying mean things about each other. They simply add the qualifier - Bless her heart - before saying the negative thing they want to say.

Some examples would be;

1. Bless her heart, Sylvia always looks so disheveled when she leaves her house.

2. Bless her heart, BobbySue wares entirely too much make-up for her pale skin.

3. Bless her heart, she tries so hard to keep those children on the straight and narrow. Can't she see that she's smothering them?

Dawg, you don't live in the Deep South, do you?

Yes, I know you want to. Go ahead. Say it. Bless his heart, the Chief is such a brat.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:48 AM   #26
Master Chef

My mother's line was "Bless her heart, she tries!"
Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 AM   #27
Master Chef

Chief, now you've reminded me of a family gathering we were at ages ago. My Mom and my dear Aunt Helen had just heard a joke about a young girl who was sent to finishing school and was taught to say "Fantastic!" instead of "Bull....". Aunt Helen had one too many by the time the hostess was taking family members to see her newly redecorated living room...the kind with plastic covers on all of the furniture and a plastic carpet protector along the room's travel path. Needless to say, every time pretentious Aunt Irene mentioned the cost or the hard time the decorator had finding something, Aunt Helen said "fantastic!". BTW, Aunt Irene had not heard the joke - hopefully she never did!

Dawg, if "Bless your heart" is too tame, you can go with "Fantastic"! I'll never tell...
Old 09-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Fantastic, bless your hearts!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
I fear if I go to my cousin's this year, I go alone. DH did not like the food at all.

I usually bring the dressing/stuffing, which I make to my own personal specifications, with bread. It is neither gluten-free nor vegan. Last year's lack of gravy was a complete and utter travesty. There were a couple of turkeys that were edible, one was even smoked. Other than that, the menu mainly consisted of various Brussels sprouts dishes and sweet potatoes. Two of my most despised dishes.

I also brought a big plate of deer sausage, cheese, and crackers. Guess what completely disappeared first?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #30
Master Chef

Probably the same menu as usual, last minute changes, omissions or additions are common place .

Appetizers/Soup
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée
Roasted Turkey
Stuffing
Yams/Sweet Potatoes (maybe Candied Sweet potatoes/yams)
Green Bean salad
Brussels sprouts
Sautéed Mushrooms
Mashed potatoes (with butter and Philadelphia cream cheese chive & onion spread)
My Turkey Gravy
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Cranberry sauce

Dessert
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Homemade Whipped cream

Beverages
Assorted soda
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Coffee

Tags