"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We aren't big fans of turkey, so we will probably follow our new tradition of doing something interesting with chicken.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #42
Executive Chef

PF, congratulations on your new house and having the holiday is one of the things that makes a house a home.

Try to take the day before off from work too. There are some things that can be done several days/ even the weekend before. Then there is a whole lot you can do the day before, like chop veggies for the stuffing, peel the potatoes, put in water and keep cold overnight. Everything takes longer to prepare than you may anticipate. Cooking a serving of potatoes for 2 is not the same as prepping a 10 lb bag... Also if you can pace yourself, you can actually enjoy the holiday as it happens.

Make lists.

Oh, and buy butter or margarine if it ever goes on sale before now and the holiday. Toss in the freezer. Everything gets a pat or a chunk of butter, the taters, sweet potatoes, stuffing, bread rolls, well maybe not everything, but pretty near. Don't forget the cranberries !

Old 09-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

As someone already pointed out, I have done cooking for crowds during fire season in Montana. So this should be a snap. Here I have to deal with those that are not appreciative of the work involved and are vocal about it. Those firefighters ate anything I put in front of therm.

So, I will have more than cooking for 2 and less than cooking for 200-500. I'll figure it out. Unfortunately I will likely not have the day off before, seeing as I work night shifts, I will get home about 6 in the morning on Thanksgiving. Everything will work out. I have two Sisters, a Brother and a Mom who are willing to help out.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...Here I have to deal with those that are not appreciative of the work involved and are vocal about it. Those firefighters ate anything I put in front of them...
The difference between family, and people who's job it is to be of service to those in need. The second group doesn't expect people to serve them, so they are grateful. The first group? Not so much.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm going to make a sign that says, "Buffet - just a fancy word that meas 'Get it yourself!'"
Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm going to make a sign that says, "Buffet - just a fancy word that meas 'Get it yourself!'"
Now that is a plan! Go for it. But who is going to carve the star of the show?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Now that is a plan! Go for it. But who is going to carve the star of the show?
I never carve at the table. I remove the breasts whole, then cut them against the grain so that everyone gets crispy skin, and a well propotioned piece of meat that is more tender and juicy. The slices, both dark and light, are laid out on the platter in the positions that they would have been found on the carcass. The oysters and other back meat are form the cooks, and whoever I choose to be that special someone for the dinner. The carcass is then broken down so as to fit in a soup pot and simmered to create the broth for that obligatory soup that will be eaten for following meals. Nothing is wasted. I share the neck, and any innards with the few in my family besides me who will eat them. I find them delicious.

Carving at the table is dramatic, but cumbersome at best, and gives only one or two people that yummy skin.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I never carve at the table. I remove the breasts whole, then cut them against the grain so that everyone gets crispy skin, and a well propotioned piece of meat that is more tender and juicy. The slices, both dark and light, are laid out on the platter in the positions that they would have been found on the carcass. The oysters and other back meat are form the cooks, and whoever I choose to be that special someone for the dinner. The carcass is then broken down so as to fit in a soup pot and simmered to create the broth for that obligatory soup that will be eaten for following meals. Nothing is wasted. I share the neck, and any innards with the few in my family besides me who will eat them. I find them delicious.

Carving at the table is dramatic, but cumbersome at best, and gives only one or two people that yummy skin.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I always got the neck as a kid. But when I started to make my own holidays, I presented the turkey so everyone could see it, and back into the kitchen for carving. Your choice, white, dark meat, or both. I still get the neck though.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #49
Head Chef

I agree that carving at the table is much overrated. Easier to make a good presentation on a platter after carving on the kitchen counter where there is more room for maneuvering.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I like carving the breast of chicken that way too, off the bone and then across the grain. Makes nice chunks/slices.

Tags
thanksgiving