"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanksgiving 2015 - Planning Time

Oh me, Oh my! Thanksgiving is fast approaching, first our Canadian friends and neighbors on Monday, October 12 and then American on Thursday, November 26.

Who is coming for Dinner?
Where are you going?
Trying a new recipe?
Traditional or something else?

We have the need to know, please use this forum to talk out your menus, ask questions and offer ideas.

Me first:
Family, all coming to MY house. This is the first Thanksgiving celebration with family in the last 23 years.
I will be assigning dishes to bring and those with special needs will be asked to bring at least one dish that complies with their diet.
Chairs, they need to bring chairs. I only have 8 and there will be 20 of us...I think.
Traditional Dinner, Mom elected me to host the meal...I hope I can do it up right.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Head Chef

You will do a bang up job, I'm sure. We are traditionally invited to a friend's home and hope too be going there again this year. She has the biggest house of all of us so, we all bring food and wine and have a great day. she is having surgery later this month, so prayers and fingers crossed.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

That is great. Your first Thanksgiving in your new home. What better blessing can fall on it. Will any of Shrek's family be able to attend? I hope you are going to have help!

I stopped cooking for holidays. I do bake desserts. And if I make more than one, they both go to my daughter's. Last year my grandson and his girlfriend made the whole meal. I missed it. Had a little heart problem and left in an ambulance just as everyone was sitting down to eat. I made a chocolate chip cheesecake. My grandson's favorite.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Master Chef

Gotta get DW up to speed first, then we'll figure out Thanksgiving, especially since we have so much to be thankful for. This one will be more poignant than in the past.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

That's cool PF. I have no doubt your dinner will be great.

I have given it little or no thought. Probably because I'll do the same thing I always do.

I expect my daughters and family to attend. I'll brine and roast a turkey, make stuffing, gravy, pilaf, lyonnaise potatoes, roasted butternut squash, broccoli, rolls, cranberry sauce, a couple of pies and ???. Wine, beer, apple cider and such will also be served.

Despite the fact that I always tell them when to arrive and when dinner will be served, everyone will arrive and make book on what time dinner is actually served. I am notoriously a bit late with dinner.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Head Chef

Way too premature - the topic hasn't even been raised around here yet. We still have two more family birthdays to celebrate (and another just finished two days ago) before I worry about Thanksgiving.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh me, Oh my! Thanksgiving is fast approaching, first our Canadian friends and neighbors on Monday, October 12 and then American on Thursday, November 26.

Who is coming for Dinner?
Where are you going?
Trying a new recipe?
Traditional or something else?

We have the need to know, please use this forum to talk out your menus, ask questions and offer ideas.

Me first:
Family, all coming to MY house. This is the first Thanksgiving celebration with family in the last 23 years.
I will be assigning dishes to bring and those with special needs will be asked to bring at least one dish that complies with their diet.
Chairs, they need to bring chairs. I only have 8 and there will be 20 of us...I think.
Traditional Dinner, Mom elected me to host the meal...I hope I can do it up right.
Check around town with the local VFD, church, VFW, etc... and see if you can borrow some folding chairs for the day.

Save me a place at the kids table in the kitchen or maybe even in the garage!

I'll bring the olives

Old 09-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you for your vote of confidence, LyndaLou. Funny...I got rid of my large serving platter a few years ago as I was never going to cook a whole Turkey again.

I'm hoping I can get my new stove before Thanksgiving rolls around. I may have to try out the oven on this old thing and see how it handles roasting.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving 2015 - Planning Time

If we end up going to my beloved cousin's again, I am bringing my own gravy. Last year's gluten-free, vegan, organic, gravy-free meal was, um, well, words fail me.

You will do great, PF! I know there will be plenty of gravy!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Gotta get DW up to speed first, then we'll figure out Thanksgiving, especially since we have so much to be thankful for. This one will be more poignant than in the past.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.
We definitely have something to be Thankful for as a group. You and DW are still in my heart and prayers. Any meal will be Thanksgiving for you folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's cool PF. I have no doubt your dinner will be great.

I have given it little or no thought. Probably because I'll do the same thing I always do.

I expect my daughters and family to attend. I'll brine and roast a turkey, make stuffing, gravy, pilaf, lyonnaise potatoes, roasted butternut squash, broccoli, rolls, cranberry sauce, a couple of pies and ???. Wine, beer, apple cider and such will also be served.

Despite the fact that I always tell them when to arrive and when dinner will be served, everyone will arrive and make book on what time dinner is actually served. I am notoriously a bit late with dinner.
There is nothing wrong with Tradition...even to being late with dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Way too premature - the topic hasn't even been raised around here yet. We still have two more family birthdays to celebrate (and another just finished two days ago) before I worry about Thanksgiving.
Well, if you don't get around to it...just follow the Greeley Highway north till you hit Lingle, I can come up with the extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That is great. Your first Thanksgiving in your new home. What better blessing can fall on it. Will any of Shrek's family be able to attend? I hope you are going to have help!
While Shrek's brothers are invited, I doubt they will show. The kids usually go to their Mom's, but we might see the eldest and his brood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Check around town with the local VFD, church, VFW, etc... and see if you can borrow some folding chairs for the day.

Save me a place at the kids table in the kitchen or maybe even in the garage!

I'll bring the olives

I really hope you bring more than 5 olives! No kid's table this year, the youngest just turned 13. She's more mature than many of us in our 30's and up.

Tags
thanksgiving