Thanksgiving 2015 - Planning Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Oh me, Oh my! Thanksgiving is fast approaching, first our Canadian friends and neighbors on Monday, October 12 and then American on Thursday, November 26.

Who is coming for Dinner?
Where are you going?
Trying a new recipe?
Traditional or something else?

We have the need to know, please use this forum to talk out your menus, ask questions and offer ideas.

Me first:
Family, all coming to MY house. This is the first Thanksgiving celebration with family in the last 23 years.
I will be assigning dishes to bring and those with special needs will be asked to bring at least one dish that complies with their diet.
Chairs, they need to bring chairs. I only have 8 and there will be 20 of us...I think.
Traditional Dinner, Mom elected me to host the meal...I hope I can do it up right.

You will do a bang up job, I'm sure. We are traditionally invited to a friend's home and hope too be going there again this year. She has the biggest house of all of us so, we all bring food and wine and have a great day. she is having surgery later this month, so prayers and fingers crossed.

That is great. Your first Thanksgiving in your new home. What better blessing can fall on it. Will any of Shrek's family be able to attend? I hope you are going to have help!

I stopped cooking for holidays. I do bake desserts. And if I make more than one, they both go to my daughter's. Last year my grandson and his girlfriend made the whole meal. I missed it. Had a little heart problem and left in an ambulance just as everyone was sitting down to eat. I made a chocolate chip cheesecake. My grandson's favorite. :angel:

That's cool PF. I have no doubt your dinner will be great.

I have given it little or no thought. Probably because I'll do the same thing I always do.

I expect my daughters and family to attend. I'll brine and roast a turkey, make stuffing, gravy, pilaf, lyonnaise potatoes, roasted butternut squash, broccoli, rolls, cranberry sauce, a couple of pies and ???. Wine, beer, apple cider and such will also be served.

Despite the fact that I always tell them when to arrive and when dinner will be served, everyone will arrive and make book on what time dinner is actually served. I am notoriously a bit late with dinner.

Way too premature - the topic hasn't even been raised around here yet. We still have two more family birthdays to celebrate (and another just finished two days ago) before I worry about Thanksgiving.

Oh me, Oh my! Thanksgiving is fast approaching, first our Canadian friends and neighbors on Monday, October 12 and then American on Thursday, November 26.

Who is coming for Dinner?
Where are you going?
Trying a new recipe?
Traditional or something else?

We have the need to know, please use this forum to talk out your menus, ask questions and offer ideas.

Me first:
Family, all coming to MY house. This is the first Thanksgiving celebration with family in the last 23 years.
I will be assigning dishes to bring and those with special needs will be asked to bring at least one dish that complies with their diet.
Chairs, they need to bring chairs. I only have 8 and there will be 20 of us...I think.
Traditional Dinner, Mom elected me to host the meal...I hope I can do it up right.

Check around town with the local VFD, church, VFW, etc... and see if you can borrow some folding chairs for the day.

Save me a place at the kids table in the kitchen or maybe even in the garage!

I'll bring the olives :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

10805785_1537985706446761_3403136452440436987_n.jpg

Thank you for your vote of confidence, LyndaLou. Funny...I got rid of my large serving platter a few years ago as I was never going to cook a whole Turkey again.:ROFLMAO:

I'm hoping I can get my new stove before Thanksgiving rolls around. I may have to try out the oven on this old thing and see how it handles roasting.

Attachments

• stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 221
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 195
If we end up going to my beloved cousin's again, I am bringing my own gravy. Last year's gluten-free, vegan, organic, gravy-free meal was, um, well, words fail me.

You will do great, PF! I know there will be plenty of gravy!

Last edited:
Gotta get DW up to speed first, then we'll figure out Thanksgiving, especially since we have so much to be thankful for. This one will be more poignant than in the past.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

We definitely have something to be Thankful for as a group. You and DW are still in my heart and prayers. Any meal will be Thanksgiving for you folks.

That's cool PF. I have no doubt your dinner will be great.

I have given it little or no thought. Probably because I'll do the same thing I always do.

I expect my daughters and family to attend. I'll brine and roast a turkey, make stuffing, gravy, pilaf, lyonnaise potatoes, roasted butternut squash, broccoli, rolls, cranberry sauce, a couple of pies and ???. Wine, beer, apple cider and such will also be served.

Despite the fact that I always tell them when to arrive and when dinner will be served, everyone will arrive and make book on what time dinner is actually served. I am notoriously a bit late with dinner.

There is nothing wrong with Tradition...even to being late with dinner:LOL:

Way too premature - the topic hasn't even been raised around here yet. We still have two more family birthdays to celebrate (and another just finished two days ago) before I worry about Thanksgiving.

Well, if you don't get around to it...just follow the Greeley Highway north till you hit Lingle, I can come up with the extra.

That is great. Your first Thanksgiving in your new home. What better blessing can fall on it. Will any of Shrek's family be able to attend? I hope you are going to have help! :angel:

While Shrek's brothers are invited, I doubt they will show. The kids usually go to their Mom's, but we might see the eldest and his brood.

Check around town with the local VFD, church, VFW, etc... and see if you can borrow some folding chairs for the day.

Save me a place at the kids table in the kitchen or maybe even in the garage!

I'll bring the olives :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

10805785_1537985706446761_3403136452440436987_n.jpg

I really hope you bring more than 5 olives! No kid's table this year, the youngest just turned 13. She's more mature than many of us in our 30's and up.

Wow, princess....23 years since your last big Thanksgiving get together! This will definitely be an extra joyous occasion, with close family present and being in your new home.

I was just thinking about Thanksgiving yesterday! For the past 15 years we've had T dinner at my house, but my youngest daughter and her hubby just bought their first new home and it's only a mile from me. We haven't set any plans yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll want to host dinner at their home this year.

I'm pretty sure we'll do the usual dishes that everyone has to have - roast turkey and dressing, gravy, mashed russets, baked sweet potatoes with a little OJ and brown sugar, fresh green beans with almonds and pearl onions, salad, rolls, and some kind of pie. I love homemade cranberry sauce, but no one else does so I'll probably just make a small amount for me again. :) We always share in the cooking duties.

Dawg....I would bring my own fat laden gravy, too! LOL

Last edited:
PF, your oven looks fairly clean. I'd give it a try. As long as it works, chances are it will be fine.

Well, if you don't get around to it...just follow the Greeley Highway north till you hit Lingle, I can come up with the extra.

Lingle looks to be about the same size as Fleming CO on Google Maps - but it appears that you have two schools, while Fleming School is K-12 in one building. Lingle looks to be about 3 hours away from us routing through Sidney and Scotsbluff. That almost makes us neighbors. :)

One way or another, we will definitely be doing Thanksgiving with my wife's father who is 92 years young tomorrow. It will either be here at our home or at her brother's house about 2 miles from us. I do thank you for the warm invitation though.

Last edited:
Oh me, Oh my! Thanksgiving is fast approaching...Family, all coming to MY house. This is the first Thanksgiving celebration with family in the last 23 years...Traditional Dinner, Mom elected me to host the meal...I hope I can do it up right.
1) I know we'll eat! :LOL: Details, for us, are down the road.
2) 23 years is forever in dog years. It's been at least 10 for us, and I'm entertaining the idea of spending Thanksgiving with the kids rather than Christmas this year.
3) You WILL do it right. 20 or so will be a piece of cake after running craft service for scads of firemen and support services back in MT. Hopefully you will not be hosting them this year, what with your fireplace and all. ;)

If we end up going to my beloved cousin's again, I am bringing my own gravy. Last year's gluten-free, vegan, organic, gravy-free meal was, um, well, words fail me...
If I were you, I'd bring my own entire MEAL! :LOL:

If we end up going to my beloved cousin's again, I am bringing my own gravy. Last year's gluten-free, vegan, organic, gravy-free meal was, um, well, words fail me.

You will do great, PF! I know there will be plenty of gravy!

1)
If I were you, I'd bring my own entire MEAL! :LOL:

Yeah... vegan and Thanksgiving don't belong in the same sentence.... not in my house anyway. ;)

(I do understand that some people have medical reasons for dietary restrictions, but beyond that I just don't get vegan :question: )

:LOL: I fear if I go to my cousin's this year, I go alone. DH did not like the food at all.

I usually bring the dressing/stuffing, which I make to my own personal specifications, with bread. It is neither gluten-free nor vegan. Last year's lack of gravy was a complete and utter travesty. There were a couple of turkeys that were edible, one was even smoked. Other than that, the menu mainly consisted of various Brussels sprouts dishes and sweet potatoes. Two of my most despised dishes.

I also brought a big plate of deer sausage, cheese, and crackers. Guess what completely disappeared first?

Last edited:
Gotta get DW up to speed first, then we'll figure out Thanksgiving, especially since we have so much to be thankful for. This one will be more poignant than in the past.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Absolutely Chief. She may be on a special diet, but I bet a broth of turkey will be on her approved list. With the love and special care she is getting, she will enjoy the holiday even more. :angel:

Thank you for your vote of confidence, LyndaLou. Funny...I got rid of my large serving platter a few years ago as I was never going to cook a whole Turkey again.:ROFLMAO:

I'm hoping I can get my new stove before Thanksgiving rolls around. I may have to try out the oven on this old thing and see how it handles roasting.

A couple that we are good friends with have a stove about that age, it doesn't even look like it should work, it too is a drop in. They manage to create some wonderful things with that oven!

Last edited:
Since we are talking Thanksgiving, I just posted a recipe in the Poultry forum for the Wild Mushroom Stuffing that I make about every other year for the holiday. It's always been a hit, so if you like mushrooms, it might be worth a try. It's a good one to take when you need a dish to take to someone else's house for the holiday.

I'm going to Utah to visit #2 son.
He's talking a buffet at what used to
be The Canyon's. That works for me.

Back
Top Bottom