Thanksgiving 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my first Thanksgiving as a new widow...
Dear Dawg, you know my heart aches for your loss. I'm sure it's been hard for you to share, but you know we're here to help. Then again, a big bowl of dressing and a good gravy make all sorts of problems go away. Thank goodness, too, for dear neighbors with open hearts.

BTW, if you want another husband, consider Himself. All it will cost is the price of a landscaper and a remodeler. I need people to work at getting the house in shape for market. I might have to knock Himself off for the insurance money so I can hire out... :shock: :LOL:

I mentioned earlier in this thread that, because there are only the two of us, I’m planning on roasted stuffed Cornish game hens as our main course. I came across this recipe for stuffing, which looks a bit unusual and very tasty. The recipe is really for dressing, not stuffing, which leads me to ask if I should leave it uncooked to stuff the hens and then place the remaining stuffing in the bottom of the pan, using it as a “rack” for the hens.

It is a little much for just two hens. I figure that I can cook what’s left over, and use it in sammies, or freeze for later.

I’ve never stuffed any kind of fowl before, although I’ve made dressing many times; any tips or advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

We really like hens stuffed with wild rice. Get up under the skin with some duxelles. Precook the rice with some additions like mushrooms and onions.

Dear Dawg, you know my heart aches for your loss. I'm sure it's been hard for you to share, but you know we're here to help. Then again, a big bowl of dressing and a good gravy make all sorts of problems go away. Thank goodness, too, for dear neighbors with open hearts.

BTW, if you want another husband, consider Himself. All it will cost is the price of a landscaper and a remodeler. I need people to work at getting the house in shape for market. I might have to knock Himself off for the insurance money so I can hire out... :shock: :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the offer, CG, but you two are just too cute, and made for each other!

This is my first Thanksgiving as a new widow, DH died unexpectedly this April. I was going to blow off T'giving, then I thought, wait a minute. I like to cook, I LOVE dressing/stuffing and pumpkin pie, a turkey breast will produce leftovers and soup fixin's, so I'm in. As is my cranberry-orange relish. Jury's still out on mashed potatoes, but there WILL be gravy!

Same here, but I have family close. Mom, Dad and I have plans for dinner out, the truck stop has a nice spread on Thanksgiving.

Hugs Dawg, will be thinking of you.:wub:

I'm sorry to hear your knews. A few years back, I lost my first husband, in a road accident. It's hard, but you get through. A few years laters - an (understatement), I met my second husband, and now he has prostate cancer.

Please bear in mind that I will think of you. You will get the strength to carry on, and I for one will be right behind you all the way.

I've gone off topic, but, everybody else, please accept what I said, because when you're down and out, you need to know that there are people out there helping. Thoughts to you!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Same here, but I have family close. Mom, Dad and I have plans for dinner out, the truck stop has a nice spread on Thanksgiving.

Hugs Dawg, will be thinking of you.:wub:

Thanks PF:wub: I'm so glad your family is nearby!

And thanks also to you, Di, and all, for your kind words.

And now back to our regularily-scheduled T'giving plans!

Last edited:
We (as usual) have a bunch of friends coming for thanksgiving and staying the weekend. Most of them love to cook so we share the fun with everyone cooking something that is special to them. it seems that most folks find the t-day meal is laced in tradition. Seemingly reasonable folks who love fancy cooking suddenly want traditional dishes or it's just not thanksgiving. Here's the menu and it's big... we have 11 coming for the weekend and this year no kids. 1 vegetarian, 1 no gluten, 1 diabetic - challenges..

Menu:
  • Turkeys: 2 @ 16 lbs cooked in the BIG Easy
  • Gravy: 3 kinds. vegetarian, regular and no gluten
  • Stuffing: 2 kinds. Vegetarian and regular
  • Cranberries: 3 kinds (yes, really) cooked, raw and canned with ridges. Really dreading this BTW - we've had some difficulty in past years with cranberry relish. Details here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/cranberries-vs-hubby-round-1-a-82908.html#post1210110
  • Corn Puff: Gluten free corn casserole with chilies, eggs, cream and cheese
  • Hot green veggies: 2 ways. Green bean casserole and roasted Brussels Sprouts
  • Crunchy bits - Pickles, veggie sticks, olives, etc
  • Potatoes 2 ways: whipped and a yam-apple bake with maple syrup and pecans
  • Dessert 3 ways: Pumpkin pie w/ no gluten crust, chocolate Bourbon pie and a fruit crumble - all with whipped cream
  • Wine, beer, tea, water

The birds are in the freezer and I'm busy making shopping lists. The whole crew of guests arrives late Wednesday night and Thursday we will cook this together with bowls of popcorn and hot cider to keep us going until dinner is ready. Over the weekend we'll eat leftovers, play games, walk dogs and generally do not much of anything. It should be fun.

I could use some help with the no gluten gravy - any ideas about how to do this?

We will be having Thanksgiving @ daughter & sil's. First family Thanksgiving in 7 years...

I take the before dinner snacks, which always spoil our appetite.. Hey!!! Its a family tradition!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I will also make the dressing in case anyone still wants dinner... :rolleyes:

Ross

We are celebrating in our big family this year. My mom will cook most of the dishes but she has put me in charge of the turkey this year.
I've decided to use this recipe with marinade of wheat beer, soy sauce and orange juice.
Hope it will be quite easy and tasty as it's the first time I'll be cooking the turkey for Thanksgiving! :innocent:

Hi Everyone! On another forum, someone is searching for a recipe for Widgets Stuffing. No one seems to know of one, and a search online turned up nothing. Does anyone here know what she's talking about?

I would like to offer condolences to all who are going through this Holiday Season after losing a loved one. Holidays can really be difficult and add to your grief. May God bless you.

Janet, I had to google the Big Easy to see how you are cooking your turkeys. One at a time? Or do you have 2 Big Easys?

I always buy 2 turkeys, the smallest I can get, which this year are 13 pounders. I can fit both in my oven, they are done quicker than a huge one, and I get more dark meat, which most of my family prefers. Some day I would like to deep fry one of them, but our weather is never right for that.

Someone finally posted the Widgets Stuffing. Apparently it's a low carb thing.

Widgets Stuffing

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pork rinds (approx. 1/2 oz.)
1 tablespoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder

1 lb. bulk sausage
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped

2 eggs
1/2 cup chicken broth

Grind the pork rinds into a flour. In a small bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients. Set aside. Oil an 8" square pan.

Brown the sausage, remove the sausage from the skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add the butter, onion and celery to the skillet and cook until done the way you like it. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs and broth until well combined. Stir in 1/2 of the dry ingredients until well blended, then the other half. Stir 1/2 of this mixture into the skillet, then the other half. Stir in the sausage.

Spread into the pan and bake 25 minutes, just until lightly browned. Can be frozen.

Started today, put the turkey in the fridge, and I'm baking a Orange Cranberry Cheesecake.
For the day,.....Sweet taters, brussel sprouts,turkey & stuffing, gravy, cheesecake.

Started today, put the turkey in the fridge, and I'm baking a Orange Cranberry Cheesecake.
For the day,.....Sweet taters, brussel sprouts,turkey & stuffing, gravy, cheesecake.

Can you please post the Orange Cranberry Cheesecake
27696-albums1090-picture7034.gif
. TIA

Due to some slight health issues, Dx is opting to supervise Thanksgiving dinner this year. I'm doing the cooking. Well, we have pot luck and people all bring a dish, so it's not like I am doing it all.

Saturday- yesterday. Put two frozen turkeys in the fridges, one downstairs, to thaw.
Today- day off , football.
Monday- hopefully going to the store for the last time.
Tuesday- bring up folding tables, chairs from basement. Iron (what??) tablecloths. Set out serving dishes and serving utensils to go with.
Dust, vacuum. I s'pose I should do that first before other stuff.

Wed- make bread dough and leave to rise. Yes, I am making yeast rolls.
Roast one turkey. Carve and put in pan with a little turkey broth to keep moist.
Make gravy and chill. Make 2 pans dressing, one vegetarian, one with sausage in it.

Turkey day-- roast large turkey. Peel/ cook potatoes. Sis in law will mash'em. BIL will carve turkey. Make 2nd pot of gravy while turkey gets ready.

I have yet to do a head count/ who's all coming, although I pretty much know. We should be about 24, with a few extra coming later for dessert.
The master list, as we discussed, is at Dx's house and I'm at home now. I'm probably forgetting something (besides the cranberries.)

Friday, put away stuff that didn't get put away Thurs night. Finish washing any dishes. Make a big ol' turkey sammich for lunch.

Happy Thanksgiving day to you all !

Janet, I had to google the Big Easy to see how you are cooking your turkeys. One at a time? Or do you have 2 Big Easys?

I always buy 2 turkeys, the smallest I can get, which this year are 13 pounders. I can fit both in my oven, they are done quicker than a huge one, and I get more dark meat, which most of my family prefers. Some day I would like to deep fry one of them, but our weather is never right for that.

I have one cooker. We cook the birds sequentially. One for dinner and then as soon at the first one comes out to rest, we pop the other in. They cook fast - about 2.5 hours for a 15 lb turkey. The first turkey will be entirely eaten for dinner, the second one will be finished by the end of dinner and is for left overs.

I am a huge fan of the big easy - it cooks an amazing turkey (brined first) and leaves the oven free for sides and pies. I got one a few years ago and thought it was just a goofy idea - but after using it a few times - I am a fan. It's really just a convection cooker but it's hot and fast and I now use it to cook large batches of other meat and veggies for casual crowds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom