Thanksgiving 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I almost had a gravy catastrophe. The pan with the turkey, was turning from golden brown to dark brown, so I dump in some turkey broth to slow down that mess.

Tested the temp of the turkey, it was ready to take out. Took the turkey out of the pan and dumped the liquid into a sauce pan for gravy.
IT WAS TOO SALTY (from how much salt was on the skin).

I poured half of it down the drain, then, added an equal amount of water, added parsley, sage, rosemary, and garlic to that liquid. Then some butter and thickened it with flour/cold water. It turned out perfect. I've never had gravy almost go bad in two different ways before. Crisis averted.

...Tested the temp of the turkey, it was ready to take out. Took the turkey out of the pan and dumped the liquid into a sauce pan for gravy.
IT WAS TOO SALTY (from how much salt was on the skin)...

Glad you were able to save it.

I never salt poultry skin. The salt doesn't penetrate the skin to season the meat.

Glad you were able to save it.

I never salt poultry skin. The salt doesn't penetrate the skin to season the meat.
Thank you.:)

We've always salted the skin, I think, to eat the salty skin! I thought it was against the law to not salt it. :LOL: I had help in the kitchen this year, with the salt, and you know the old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen kind of thing? Yah, I think we did that.

Thank you.:)

We've always salted the skin, I think, to eat the salty skin! I thought it was against the law to not salt it. :LOL: I had help in the kitchen this year, with the salt, and you know the old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen kind of thing? Yah, I think we did that.
I just read or saw a video that called for dry brining the turkey (can't remember where). They recommended rinsing the turkey before cooking to get rid of the excess salt.

I just read or saw a video that called for dry brining the turkey (can't remember where). They recommended rinsing the turkey before cooking to get rid of the excess salt.
We brined it for 24 hours, then dried it, then salted it, and salted it. lol

Thanksgiving dinner

thanksgiving_appy_112218_1_IMG_5079.JPG

Olive poppers and marinated mushroom caps

thanksgiving_appy_112218_2_IMG_5083.JPG

Olive poppers, marinated mushroom caps and stuffed mushrooms

thanksgiving_dinner_112218_IMG_5084.JPG

Steamed Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes (butter, onion & chive cream cheese spread and sour cream), stuffing, green bean casserole (no cream soup & no mushrooms), turkey, homemade whole berry cranberry sauce, homemade raw cranberry & tangerine relish, tangerine glazed carrots, sweet potato & acorn squash, sautéed mushrooms and gravy.

Way back (mid 80's), before brining became so common, is when I started dry "brining' birds - duck, chicken, and turkey - for tea smoking them. The small turkey was salted (with some other seasonings) for 5 or 6 days, chicken and ducks 3 days, then steamed, followed by the quick tea smoking. Amazing how much the smoke permeates, with just a 15 or 20 min. smoking, and the birds are incredibly moist, due to the salting and steaming. Never did this for TG, due to traditionalists, always wanting overcooked poultry!

As I mentioned earlier, my daughter bought Pirate and myself one of those prepared Thanksgiving cooked dinners. I love her dearly, but.....

I didn't know a turkey could be that dry and tough. The mashed potatoes were frozen and very lumpy. Now I just happen to be one of those folks who like lumpy taters. But not that lumpy!!! No seasoning, and very dry. So Pirate doctored them up in the microwave. In fact, just about the whole dinner went into the MW. Except for the turkey. The veggie was two dishes of squash. I like squash, but not that much. Pirate not so much. The gravy was fine, but needed salt desperately.

Pirate has a friend that lives two streets over. His girlfriend works for a cruise boat company here in Boston. (Who goes for a cruise in Boston Harbor on Thanksgiving day?) She had to work on Thanksgiving. So Pirate went up to their house and collected two very large dinner plates. He piled both plates with as much food as he could get on them. The girlfriend called after they ate and was crying. If we hadn't sent up those two plates, they would have had no Thanksgiving dinner. They thought the meal was delicious!! So for that, I am very grateful we could bring some happiness to others.

Personally, I stopped doing the holidays a number of years ago. I either went to my daughter's home or just stayed home. Both Pirate and I would have been very happy with a can of Campbell's Soup. Neither one of us has a very big appetite lately. I used a small salad plate for my meal.

Please darling daughter. Ask me first what I want. I love you dearly, and I know you mean well. But I live in a studio apartment. That HUGE evergreen live tree you brought me, WHAT THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THAT??? And where am I supposed to put it? I'll tell you where I would like to stick it!

I hate to appear ungrateful, but.... Pirate, Spike and myself have decided that since my daughter doesn't see much of Spike, he is going to try and talk some sense into her addled brain. She really thinks she is making my life better. When all she is doing is cluttering it up.

I haven't done holidays in my own home in more than 15 years. With 18 or maybe 19 now, grand and great grand children, I can't afford holidays. And I certainly don't have room to cook for them.

All in all, it was a very interesting holiday.

I'm with you there! The dishes & clean up seemed non ending!

My father lives to work, so clean up is easy for me. Even when I do the cooking, he cleans everything after me. He hovers while I cook, so I have to get my sister to distract him. But, I love to cook, and hate to clean, so when I visit for holidays, I cook and walk away -- dad cleans up my mess, and loves it. His motto is, "I work therefore I am."

CD

Last edited:
I decided to make a stuffed turkey breast roulade this year, along with two drumsticks because DH likes dark meat. We'll also have mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole with fresh green beans, glazed carrot coins and dinner rolls. Pumpkin pie for dessert.

Nice thing about the roulade is that it cooks at one temperature for two hours and done [emoji2]

One year I made cream carrots. My SIL loved them. So now about every other month or so, I make it for him. Simple white sauce, and cooked carrot slices.

I posted a message in the 'Out of the Back Yard', but I'd also like to send a message on this thread as well:

You're all very special people, with a sense of humanity and justice.

I've learned so much from you, many times, from things you don't say, but things that in your own way, make clear. You never put people down, but help them how to learn to reach the aims that they are looking for. You are always kind, and respect dignity that others need. Hang on to these maxims. You are wonderful people, and you help others, through the things you help us with to do the same things.

These are great gifts that you're blessed with. Don't let them slip away from you.

With great affection, di reston

Enough is never as a feast Oscar Wilde

Thank you, Di! Love you, too!

As I mentioned before, I sent two plates piled high with the Thanksgiving food to a friend of Pirates. There was so much, that it was divided and they were able to eke out a third plate for the tenant who lives alone on the second floor.

Yesterday, I received the loveliest hand written note from his girlfriend thanking me. She has beautiful European handwriting. She mentioned that Thanksgiving holiday is her ultimate holiday. Had I not sent the food to them, they would have had sandwiches for their dinner.

It was a last minute decision to send them the plates. We had so much leftovers, that we would be eating turkey dinner and all the fixings for months. I was only too glad to send it to someone who really appreciated it.

Next up! Christmas Dinner. I guess that will be another thread of its' own.

As I mentioned before, I sent two plates piled high with the Thanksgiving food to a friend of Pirates. There was so much, that it was divided and they were able to eke out a third plate for the tenant who lives alone on the second floor.

Yesterday, I received the loveliest hand written note from his girlfriend thanking me. She has beautiful European handwriting. She mentioned that Thanksgiving holiday is her ultimate holiday. Had I not sent the food to them, they would have had sandwiches for their dinner.

It was a last minute decision to send them the plates. We had so much leftovers, that we would be eating turkey dinner and all the fixings for months. I was only too glad to send it to someone who really appreciated it.

Next up! Christmas Dinner. I guess that will be another thread of its' own.

You have such a generous heart!!!:angel::angel:

You have such a generous heart!!!:angel::angel:

Thank you. I am such a sucker for every sob story that comes my way. We have a couple of really elderly residents in the building. One of them has outlived all of her children. So she gets no visitors except those of us in the building. I just may have to give her a holiday meal. But first I have to find out if she has any dietary restriction.

The Thanksgiving wrap report.

A week later and:

My fridge is still a mess but the dishes are finally done.

Leftovers in the freezer include a gallon of turkey soup, cranberry sauce and 2 slices of cranberry cheese cake that I am hoarding for some dark snowy evening

I went a whole week after thanksgiving without going grocery shopping :)

Back
Top Bottom