Thanksgiving 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hey everybody

Thanksgiving is coming up soon enough and we’re getting it scheduled in.

Curious to hear your plans and menus. The classics are always great but good to hear the one off ones as well.

We’ve got a few get togethers, the one our family is going up to grandma’s to help clean out grandpa’s old garage so I suggested since it’s a work bee we do a slow cooker of turkey soup and biscuits so grandma doesn’t have to do to much. Lol, but I think I’m getting vetoed for a whole meal.

Chuckle. I admire the person who likes to plan well ahead. I am personally envious that Canada Thanksgiving always comes earlier than in the U.S. I checked it's Monday Oct 8 this year.

I checked the football schedules and it looks like we could plan a small dinner to help celebrate with you all. Of course I will need to check with the real keeper of the calendar and see how much she is going to allow me to mess up her kitchen.

I'm hungry for stuffing/dressing, not too sweet sweet potatoes, and really-- brussels sprouts. We haven't made those in eons. Also I hope this year's crop of fresh cranberries are in the stores.

This year, I have no one to cook for but me and Mark. I’ll probably just roast a boneless turkey breast. Brussels sprouts, dressing, homemade cranberry sauce, plus maybe a can of the jellied stuff we loved as kids, and home baked dinner rolls. Maybe some variation of carrot cake for dessert. No pumpkin pies for us! Neither Mark nor I ever really liked ‘em.

It’s really disappointing, in a way. The four things I like about Thanksgiving most are 1. Planning, 2. Cooking, 3. Watching everyone enjoy my efforts, and 4. Leftovers. Those delicious sandwiches with dressing, cranberry sauce and turkey, smothered in gravy. You need a fork!

This year, I have no one to cook for but me and Mark. I’ll probably just roast a boneless turkey breast. Brussels sprouts, dressing, homemade cranberry sauce, plus maybe a can of the jellied stuff we loved as kids, and home baked dinner rolls. Maybe some variation of carrot cake for dessert. No pumpkin pies for us! Neither Mark nor I ever really liked ‘em.

It’s really disappointing, in a way. The four things I like about Thanksgiving most are 1. Planning, 2. Cooking, 3. Watching everyone enjoy my efforts, and 4. Leftovers. Those delicious sandwiches with dressing, cranberry sauce and turkey, smothered in gravy. You need a fork!
Most years it's just DH and me, or four of us. I always roast a whole turkey and make stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, etc. DH likes dark meat, I like white meat, and it's worth it because I love the leftovers and I don't have to really cook again for days [emoji38] although I do actually repurpose some into other dishes. Go for it.

It snuck up on us this year. As with our blended family, we usually have two different meals..One, for sure, will be the classic turkey dinner with all of the fixin's..then, there will be another one..not sure what.I still have to work the phones with my bunch to see who can show up and when..I may do beef of some sort..I work all weekend at the deli, so it isn't much of a thing, I'm afraid..

My first reaction was "Huh? Christmas decorations aren't even up at the stores yet! Way too early to plan Thanksgiving dinner!". Then Whiska pointed out that Kevin lives in the Great White North, where Thanksgiving is only two weeks away.

When was Halloween? :)

Actually, our Thanksgiving dinner is already planned. My children have informed me that it will be exactly like all previous Thanksgiving dinners as they look forward to it too much to risk any changes. I suggested a change last year and it was quickly rejected.

Roast turkey, gravy, stuffing, pilaf, steamed broccoli (the only green veggie everyone will eat), butternut squash, cranberry sauce (from a can) and desserts. Desserts will be Apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin roll and ice cream.

Hey everybody

Thanksgiving is coming up soon enough and we’re getting it scheduled in.

Curious to hear your plans and menus. The classics are always great but good to hear the one off ones as well.

Kevin, regarding your question about non-traditional foods for Thanksgiving, we are not fond of cranberries, and we grew up in Michigan where cherries are grown, so for the last several years, I've been making cherry sauce instead. With shallots, thyme and balsamic vinegar, it's delicious.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/turkey-saute-with-fresh-cherry-sauce-2238

Thanksgiving will be a repeat of last year unless something new and exciting comes along.

Stuffed chicken breast.
Mashed yellow turnip.
Brussels Sprouts.
Cabbage salad.
Pickles, ripe olives and whole cranberry sauce.
Pumpkin custard with whipped cream.

Since my daughter retired, she has cut way back on cooking big meals. Her two kids live downstairs from her.

The past several years she has order the whole dinner cooked from Stop and Shop. It's all right, but nothing like home cooking. All of us have gathered at her house every year. But now I can't go. There are too many stairs and that is an obstacle for me. I haven't learned how to navigate them yet. I am sure she will send me a plate to eat at home. I don't know if Pirate will go there or not. He doesn't like leaving me alone.

I suppose my SIL and grandson could carry me up the stairs. There are five steps out front of her house. I will be on view for all the rubbernecks in her neighborhood. I gained five pounds this month and am up to 75 pounds. But just thinking of it, I am filled with dread and embarrassment. Then after they carry me up, they have to bring up my wheelchair. That is a lot of work for just a meal. Then the whole scene has to be repeated in reverse.

Well, I’ve changed my mind, at least about the bird. I think I’ll do stuffed Cornish game hens. If I want to have TG leftover sandwiches, I’ll buy some white meat turkey slices from Smith’s.

Brussels sprouts will happen, though, and homemade cranberry sauce, and a very interesting recipe for scalloped potatoes I don’t know if Mark’ll like it because of the anchovies; I’m not gonna tell him about them; maybe he won’t notice?

And no pies, as I said before, but this cranberry pecan upside down cake looks like a winner for dessert, and brunch the next day!

I still haven’t decided on what to stuff the hens with. I’d like something unusual and savory; have y’all got any suggestions?

Actually, our Thanksgiving dinner is already planned. My children have informed me that it will be exactly like all previous Thanksgiving dinners as they look forward to it too much to risk any changes. I suggested a change last year and it was quickly rejected.

Roast turkey, gravy, stuffing, pilaf, steamed broccoli (the only green veggie everyone will eat), butternut squash, cranberry sauce (from a can) and desserts. Desserts will be Apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin roll and ice cream.

I had to laugh. Back in early October my SIL was picking up my grandson who had been visiting. He ask if we weren't going to invite them for Thanksgiving. I laughed and said I thought it was too early. I told him not to worry. They all were invited for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had no idea it was that important to him.

Back
Top Bottom