"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Thanksgiving 2018

Hey everybody

Thanksgiving is coming up soon enough and we’re getting it scheduled in.

Curious to hear your plans and menus. The classics are always great but good to hear the one off ones as well.

We’ve got a few get togethers, the one our family is going up to grandma’s to help clean out grandpa’s old garage so I suggested since it’s a work bee we do a slow cooker of turkey soup and biscuits so grandma doesn’t have to do to much. Lol, but I think I’m getting vetoed for a whole meal.

Kevin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I’m still working on Thanksgiving 2018. I’ll get back to you later.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Chuckle. I admire the person who likes to plan well ahead. I am personally envious that Canada Thanksgiving always comes earlier than in the U.S. I checked it's Monday Oct 8 this year.

I checked the football schedules and it looks like we could plan a small dinner to help celebrate with you all. Of course I will need to check with the real keeper of the calendar and see how much she is going to allow me to mess up her kitchen.

I'm hungry for stuffing/dressing, not too sweet sweet potatoes, and really-- brussels sprouts. We haven't made those in eons. Also I hope this year's crop of fresh cranberries are in the stores.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Somehow I think the OP meant "2018" and the title has been edited to reflect the more applicable date.

Carry on all. And...I am barely thinking about 2018, much less 2019.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Head Chef

This year, I have no one to cook for but me and Mark. I’ll probably just roast a boneless turkey breast. Brussels sprouts, dressing, homemade cranberry sauce, plus maybe a can of the jellied stuff we loved as kids, and home baked dinner rolls. Maybe some variation of carrot cake for dessert. No pumpkin pies for us! Neither Mark nor I ever really liked ‘em.

It’s really disappointing, in a way. The four things I like about Thanksgiving most are 1. Planning, 2. Cooking, 3. Watching everyone enjoy my efforts, and 4. Leftovers. Those delicious sandwiches with dressing, cranberry sauce and turkey, smothered in gravy. You need a fork!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Thanks Joel, now I'm hungry. Lol.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
This year, I have no one to cook for but me and Mark. I’ll probably just roast a boneless turkey breast. Brussels sprouts, dressing, homemade cranberry sauce, plus maybe a can of the jellied stuff we loved as kids, and home baked dinner rolls. Maybe some variation of carrot cake for dessert. No pumpkin pies for us! Neither Mark nor I ever really liked ‘em.

It’s really disappointing, in a way. The four things I like about Thanksgiving most are 1. Planning, 2. Cooking, 3. Watching everyone enjoy my efforts, and 4. Leftovers. Those delicious sandwiches with dressing, cranberry sauce and turkey, smothered in gravy. You need a fork!
Most years it's just DH and me, or four of us. I always roast a whole turkey and make stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, etc. DH likes dark meat, I like white meat, and it's worth it because I love the leftovers and I don't have to really cook again for days although I do actually repurpose some into other dishes. Go for it.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
Master Chef

The only thing for sure is smoked turkey.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #9
Master Chef

It snuck up on us this year. As with our blended family, we usually have two different meals..One, for sure, will be the classic turkey dinner with all of the fixin's..then, there will be another one..not sure what.I still have to work the phones with my bunch to see who can show up and when..I may do beef of some sort..I work all weekend at the deli, so it isn't much of a thing, I'm afraid..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Thanks Joel, now I'm hungry. Lol.

Russ
+1....
Ross

Tags
thanksgiving

« Dinner club | Boo »