"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Head Chef

Thanksgiving!

OK, I know this is very early, but my husband's American office hee in Milano have asked me, an English woman, to cook thanks giving dinner this year. Aparently the American wife who has done it last few years HATES cooking and is not so good at it and so they have been looking for a replacment for some time. I don't know how many people yet but I'll use the huge kitchen at their offices, so that doesn't worry me in itself.

Having had a few years in US as a child I remember Thanksgiving vaguely. A big roast turkey, sweet potato wirth marshmallows, gravy, cranberry sauce.....PUMPKIN PIE (my favourite!) but what else is considered mandatory on the perfect Thankgiving table? Should it be mashed potatos or roast ones? And what do you do about starters?

I have the luxury of not having to consoder cost too much as the company will pay for it, I just have to give them a shopping list two weeks before. I magine more than half the people will be Italian, but there will be the big US bosses and their families who I want to impress for my husband, LOL.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Sous Chef

mashed potatos and stuffing are a must at my house!!

if you really wanna give them a treat...deep fry the turkey!!

dang...now u got me jonezing for turkey day!!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

I think deep frying the turkey (or turkeys) will be out of the question.....I would not feel brave enough. But stuffing, yum yum, how could I forget that! Thank you!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We always have apple pie along with the pumkin.
And a salad or two.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Sous Chef

if u pay my airfare...i will gladly volunteer to come and deep fry the birds for you!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
if u pay my airfare...i will gladly volunteer to come and deep fry the birds for you!!
And I will bring the deep fryer!

:to airport security:

"What do you mean I can't bring the propane tank on the plane?"

Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Cook

My family always has several veggie side dishes, like corn and green bean casserole.

We also usually have what we call broccoli and/or spinach souffle, which is really this Bisquick recipe and not a souffle at all...but it's delicious!

We always have the potatoes mashed rather than roasted. And GRAVY. You mustn't forget the gravy!!!!!! YUM-O!

Wow, I want Thanksgiving now, too! Maybe Thanksgiving in August is on the menu....
Old 08-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Head Chef

OK....so a two course meal essentially....pies for pudding, and turkey, gravy stuffing, mash, sweet pots and marshmallows, assorted veg sidedishes...one of which always seems to contain broccoli, and a couple of salads?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Don't forget the cranberries - either in salad, sauce, or relish. They really perk up a turkey meal. We always have ambrosia with ours, but I only use navel oranges and coconut with just a bit of sugar. We have pecan pie also. I'm sure you will get many variations on Thanksgiving. Everyone has different ideas and they are all delicious. Your post reminds me I have a turkey in the freezer I need to cook before he has a birthday!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Head Chef

Oh wow, pecan pie, yes. Well thats better because I have a sort of inbuilt need to serve three puddings at every meal. I just feel wrong if I don't!

Well, I'll start thinking about it and check back with you all closer to the time. Its submitting the shopping list that worries most. I am never what you would call an organised cook, and I often find the brilliant part of a dish is the thing I decide to through in last minute! This time I have to KNOW in advance what I am going to do!