"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

How about putting your young baker in charge of the bread basket.

This link is for Icebox Butterhorns, we used to call them church rolls. You make the dough the night before and shape them an hour or so before they go into the oven. They are nice because the first batch can be slipped into the oven while the turkey is resting and a second tray can bake while you are starting to serve.

Icebox Butterhorns Recipe | Taste of Home

Angel Biscuits are another great choice for a make ahead hot roll.

Angel Biscuits - Picture-Perfect Meals®Picture-Perfect Meals

The rolls with a quick bread or batch of small muffins would make a tasty contribution to your feast. The hardest part is choosing which one to make, pumpkin muffins, banana bread, date nut bread, cranberry bread or even lemon poppy seed muffins. The quick breads are all better if made a couple of days ahead and allowed to ripen. Pretty much no last minute stress for a beginner.

Just in case things don't come together as planned pick up a couple tubes of crescent rolls and tuck them into the back of the fridge!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Mushroom bread pudding. We use all creminis if we can't get any of the others.
Exotic Mushroom Bread Pudding Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Fresh, blanched green beans in stewed tomatoes with thinly sliced onion.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Do you have a recipe for those Addie? Or just wing it with bechamel and a hint of nutmeg?
I make about a cup or more of the béchamel, depending on how much veggie I am going to be cooking. I hate canned carrots so I always use fresh carrots cut into medallions. I do use frozen peas, but fresh broccoli. I peel the stems if I am going to use them.

For the nutmeg, just a hint. Nutmeg is very strong and can take over another food. I made the carrots and nutmeg with the béchamel sauce one Thanksgiving and even those that don't like carrots were convinced to try just one. That was all it took. My daughter said they tasted like Thanksgiving.

Creamed veggies such as this are a change from the overbearing, old green bean casserole. The béchamel sauce allows you to go off in any direction with your veggies. Add some sautéed mushrooms, peas with the carrots, etc. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
So my fellow Canucks, anyone trying anything new for the feast? Anyone new coming to the party?

We're doing dinner on the Sunday so we can all have a day to enjoy one another on Monday. I'll have the usual turkey, stuffing, potatoes on the table. I'm always looking for different sides and desserts to try though. My eldest daughter is starting to be something of a baker and she's been perusing my magazine collection for something delicious. I've got apple pies in the freezer as a back up if we decide not to be creative.

Options for sides:

Mona's onions - (pearl onions in a creamy/cheesy sauce)
Green bean casserole - the usual...fan favorite
Spaghetti squash?
Brussels sprouts?

I'm looking for ideas, and would welcome suggestions from you folks.
I realise that I am seriously weird but I love Brussels sprouts.

They are yummy done like this:-

Brussels Sprouts With Almonds Recipe - Taste.com.au
Serves 6.

Just as good with hazelnuts if you prefer them.

If the given amount of butter is too much for you (too much butter? What am I thinking!) you could steam the sprouts or cook them for a few minutes in just enough boiling water to cover. They should still have a bit of a bite - no soggy sprouts round here, thank you! Drain them well and then toss them in the hot butter and nuts.

When I was little and couldn't bear them, my mother used to do them with an onion béchamel sauce or sometimes a cheese béchamel (mornay) sauce, which I liked because it calmed down the flavour of the sprouts. I always had to have one sprout on my plate and eat it and I'm so grateful that she insisted because I would have missed a lot. They are now one of my favourite vegetables.

Incidentally, hint, cook extra sprouts and potatoes for the holiday meal and use the left-overs for bubble and squeak the next day. Delicious with fried bacon for breakfast or lunch.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
So my fellow Canucks, anyone trying anything new for the feast? Anyone new coming to the party?

We're doing dinner on the Sunday so we can all have a day to enjoy one another on Monday. I'll have the usual turkey, stuffing, potatoes on the table. I'm always looking for different sides and desserts to try though. My eldest daughter is starting to be something of a baker and she's been perusing my magazine collection for something delicious. I've got apple pies in the freezer as a back up if we decide not to be creative.

Options for sides:

Mona's onions - (pearl onions in a creamy/cheesy sauce)
Green bean casserole - the usual...fan favorite
Spaghetti squash?
Brussels sprouts?

I'm looking for ideas, and would welcome suggestions from you folks.
Green bean casserole? I goggled and found a recipe on the Campbell's site which used condensed mushroom soup. Is this the way you do it?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'll be in Canada (just barely though) a couple days too late darn it, I could have had two Thanksgivings this year!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #17
Master Chef

Alix, I make a Brussels sprouts dish that is good when made, but even better if made a day (or two) ahead. It uses sprouts, mushrooms, bacon, tarragon and garlic powder.

Cook sprouts (boiled, steamed) until barely tender - closer to almost raw. Drain thoroughly. While sprouts are draining, saute bacon in a large fry pan (I use my chicken fryer), remove bacon and set aside, and saute sliced mushrooms in the bacon grease. Add garlic powder and tarragon to pan and stir, then add sprouts. If serving immediately, cover pan if the sprouts need any additional cooking. If making ahead, just scoop into serving dish, cover, and store till you need to reheat it.

Invariably, if I make this for a holiday dinner and their are leftovers, they become my breakfast the next day!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I like Laura Calder's Brussels sprouts with bacon.

Laura Calders Brussels Sprouts And Bacon Recipe - Food.com

Drizzled with maple-white balsamic glaze (reduce equal amounts of maple syrup and white balsamic vinegar) and they are delish. Or you could do cranberry-white balsamic-glaze (Green Beans with Cranberry-Balsamic Glaze | Delicious Living)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

alix, i'm not big on sweet stuff on veggies either, but for butternut squash this year i was thinking of trying alex guarnescheli's recipe: Recipes | Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecan Ginger Glaze | Fisher Nuts

i guess one sweet dish is OK (besides dessert).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Green bean casserole? I goggled and found a recipe on the Campbell's site which used condensed mushroom soup. Is this the way you do it?
Dunno what their recipe is, but mine includes slivered almonds, canned soup and grated sharp cheddar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'll be in Canada (just barely though) a couple days too late darn it, I could have had two Thanksgivings this year!
There's always leftovers...you going to be in Western Canada? I know LP would put some aside for you, as will I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Alix, I make a Brussels sprouts dish that is good when made, but even better if made a day (or two) ahead. It uses sprouts, mushrooms, bacon, tarragon and garlic powder.
That sounds wonderful CG. I think I'll give that a go. Make ahead sounds like just the ticket. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
alix, i'm not big on sweet stuff on veggies either, but for butternut squash this year i was thinking of trying alex guarnescheli's recipe: Recipes | Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecan Ginger Glaze | Fisher Nuts

i guess one sweet dish is OK (besides dessert).
That actually sounds pretty tempting BT. No pecans allowed in our house though. Youngest is allergic. I could try subbing hazelnuts or almonds but that might alter things quite a lot.

CraigC, I can't access that link darn it.

I cruised through the "Favorites" sticky Kayelle put up. There are some excellent recipes in there too.

I think I'll do something with the butternut squash since everyone is suggesting it. I'll fiddle with the recipes that have been posted and let you know what I come up with. I am also going to do the brussel sprout one of CGs. I freaking LOVE brussels. I'm also considering pilaf (Andy's) or the green bean. I'll see how badly my kid wants it.

Now to dessert and salads. I have apple pies in the freezer (back up if we mess up the front line!) as I said, but I'm always up for new stuff. My older daughter has been looking through mags but hasn't found THE recipe yet. Suggestions? Some of our old standbys are a chocolate tart, or the chocolate peanut butter pie and then a lighter option. Something fruity is usual.

For salads I usually do a coleslaw of some kind as the cabbages my MIL gives me are so tender and delicious. I like to do some other kind of "salad" as well though. Its usually something like tomato/avocado/red onion/cucumber dressed with lime juice and s&p.

No other Canadians around here doing dinner? Rocklobster? LP?

Tags
thanksgiving