"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I picked up a copy of Good Housekeeping 2002 Annual Recipes at the thrift store today...I'm thinking I need to make the lemon upside down cake (did you catch that, Alix?) for dessert...not too sweet is what I'm thinking....to heck with the apple tart I was planning...
There goes that "sisters in another life" thing again. Anything lemon! I have to make a pan of brownies today. I usually make them from scratch, but I have on hand two boxes of Ghiradelli brownies. The BIG parade is in Eastie this year, and each year that it is here, my daughter hosts a big party. I wanted to try BC's brownies, but really need to use up these two boxes so I can make room for other foods I would like to purchase. Actually I should make something lemon, but I don't want to waste my efforts on total strangers. Now family, that's important.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #42
Everymom

I got the recipe CWS, THANKS! I'm not doing it today as Kate has got a peanut butter chocolate pie going that looks amazing. I'll post the pics later. There will also be a pumpkin pie (blech) and I am thinking of doing some lemon shortbread just to have something lighter.

Salad is going to be Joe's coleslaw and I think I'll put out a pickle/olive, veggie tray too. Thanks CG.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #43
Master Chef

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends! Hope to see pics of your dinner spreads!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
So many people totally LOVE butternut squash and I've never really tried it. I do think I'll give it a go. I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff on my veggies, but I'm not the only one at dinner.

Butternut squash isn't really sweet. Not as sweet as sweet potatoes. Probably on a par with carrots
Old 10-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Butternut squash isn't really sweet. Not as sweet as sweet potatoes. Probably on a par with carrots

It's all the sugar people put on squash. I like mine steamed or boiled with butter salt and pepper. Not crazy about acorn or butternut squashes with the sweet stuff on them.

But, I love pumpkin pie, go figure.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's all the sugar people put on squash. I like mine steamed or boiled with butter salt and pepper. Not crazy about acorn or butternut squashes with the sweet stuff on them.

But, I love pumpkin pie, go figure.
Not having a very sweet tooth (except for caramel) I think your way with b/squash sounds good, PF. We don't get very nice pumpkins over here. They are just a hallowe'en thing and sold for lanterns not for taste. In fact they are really tasteless. Looking at the seed catalogues it appears that there are good pumpkins to be had if you grow your own.

Can you use butternut squash in pumpkin pie?
Old 10-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Not having a very sweet tooth (except for caramel) I think your way with b/squash sounds good, PF. We don't get very nice pumpkins over here. They are just a hallowe'en thing and sold for lanterns not for taste. In fact they are really tasteless. Looking at the seed catalogues it appears that there are good pumpkins to be had if you grow your own.

Can you use butternut squash in pumpkin pie?
Yes, but I can tell the difference. Love pumpkin better.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #48
Master Chef

Like Cheryl said, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in Canada. Hope you enjoy good food, good friends and family, and happy memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...Not crazy about acorn or butternut squashes with the sweet stuff on them...
I don't sweet up our acorns anymore. I lightly steam one cut in half, then stuff the hollows with sausage stuffing like you might make for turkey, and bake. Even Himself thinks it's a complete meal!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That I could eat!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #50
Master Chef

Sorry I came in so late with this, as it's a natural for a nation that sports the maple leaf as its flag. Hope you can use it for Christmas, or another special occasion, say, because it's a Tuesday. I give you Maple-Pecan Pie.

Ingredients:

Ingredients Directions
2 Eggs, Slightly Beaten
1 Cup Grade B Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1-1/4 Cups Broken Texas native pecans

Preheat oven to 375 deg F.

Spread pecans in an unbaked 9-inch pie shell.

Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the pecans.

Bake at 375 deg F. for 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set.

Remove, cool, and serve with Chantilly Cream

Now, good holiday braid:

Cinnamon Christmas Braid
Makes 2 braids

1lb Potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/4 cups warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt
3 tbs. Cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
When potato water cools to about 100 degrees, add 2Tbs of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour (dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand-kneading. This dough should be rather stiff so the braids will retain their shape. Coat the dough lightly with flour and turn it out onto a well-floured kneading surface.

Knead the dough for ten minutes. Lightly dust the working surface if the dough becomes sticky.

Place the dough into a bowl, and rub butter over the surface. Cover the bowl with a clean, linen towel and place in a warm place. Let the dough sit until it doubles in volume.

Push on the dough to deflate. Remove it from the bowl and place again place it onto the floured working surface. Knead it for a minute or so to remove any bubbles . Cut the dough into two equal pieces and let rest.

Cut 1/3 of the dough off of one of the pieces and set it aside. Cut the remaining dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into an 18 inch snake. Flatten lengthwise with a rolling pin and sprinkle liberally with sugar and cinnamon. Roll the flattened ribbons into ropes. Braid the ropes and place them on a greased baking sheet. Repeat this braid with the remaining dough. Place them securely on top of the braid already on the baking sheet.
Do the same with the second half of the dough.

Allow to rise until double in a warm, draft free spot: 30 minutes.

Brush the braids with egg wash.

Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thanksgiving