Thanksgiving Day Menu/Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is going to be the first time in a long time that I haven't hosted Thanksgiving. We've been invited to a friend's house. They are a really fun couple, so we're looking forward to it.

I still get to make stuffing, cranberry pear sauce, and praline sweet potatoes!

I'll be cooking a turkey breast and some sides on the weekend for leftovers, leftovers are such a big part of the holiday that we HAVE to have them!

I bought a turkey breast to cook over the weekend, as well. I only like the white meat, & can never find the b/s cutlets or half breasts. I always wind up with a Butterball 3 lb breast, which goes up in price every year. This 3 lb cost $10.99, and it looks tiny.

Oh, well. At least I'll have some turkey sandwiches, etc.

Can't wait to make potatoes au gratin w/ gruyere, sage & walnuts. :pig:

I had 2 invitations from friends. One was a family affair with 40+ attendees in a large city and the other was a rural couple. I am going with the couple, will be a beautiful setting, actually my late husband built their house, and ham is on the menu. Promises to be a quiet, lovely afternoon.

DW is out of the country on business and daughter is working that day. So I'm going to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked to bring potatoes, so I was thinking of making some Au Gratin something or other. :chef:

And since I don't eat white potatoes myself, I'll also be taking along a barley and wild rice alternative.

Steve, your plans for potatoes, along with Chef Longwind's ideas all sound spectacular but you better check with your sister-in-law. If I had asked you to bring the potatoes, they better be ready for gravy. ;):yum:

I've done a day before riced potato casserole for years and it's wonderful. The riced potatoes are simply mixed with sour cream, cream cheese (I use low fat), butter and chives....no milk or cream. It seems that milk/cream gives them that odd "leftover flavor" so don't use it. They are excellent with or without gravy. Actually, all the ingredients are what one would use on a baked potato with the exception of the cream cheese.

I ended up having a great Thanksgiving dinner. I inquired at Super King's meat market counter if they would charge a fee to cut up my turkey. They said 'no.' Seeing that most of the turkeys were frozen or nearly so I asked if that would be a problem. Again, 'no, our saw cuts just as good thru frozen meat.'

So day before Thanksgiving I found a nice turkey, the smallest they had (21.2# at $1.29/# about $27) and they sawed the heck out of it. I thawed it overnight and got:

2 boneless breasts, 42 oz. & 44 oz.
2 leg/thigsh 43 oz. and 45 oz.
2 wings 40 oz.

The rest was scrapped. I made a meal out of the leg and thigh, will make another meal out of the wings, another 2 meals each from the breasts, total of 5 meals for $27, an plenty of leftovers too.

I made yams and fresh cranberry sauce to go with it. Take my advice, follow the package fresh cranberry
recipe but cut the sugar in half.

Last edited:
I had 2 invitations from friends. One was a family affair with 40+ attendees in a large city and the other was a rural couple. I am going with the couple, will be a beautiful setting, actually my late husband built their house, and ham is on the menu. Promises to be a quiet, lovely afternoon.

Good choice Beth, it sounds lovely, hope you had a wonderful time :)

1 smoked, and 2 oven cooked turkeys, with PAG taking care of the smashed spuds, vanilla-baked sweet spuds, a gorgeous acorn squash, and rutabaga, Sprout made on o fthe oven baked turkeys (and cooked it to perfection), and gravy, along with supplying the olives, and I handled the other two turkeys, the seabreeze salad, peeled and sliced the sweet spuds, and made two pumpkin pies and a cheese cake. The faily loved it, and the guests loved it. Everything came out wonderful. The guests brought home made cranberry sauce and soft drinks. The cranberry sauce had cloves in it, which was an interesting alteration for me. And I didn't even eat until I was bloated, but enjoyed some of everything. Best of all, I got to play with my grandaughters, and cook with my daughters. I don't go home 'til Sunday. You know who I'll be playing with until then.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ah Ha! Chief is rolling on the floor with a couple of girls! Careful Sprout or they will be spoiled silly...

Back
Top Bottom