"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #31
Head Chef

There are two of us working on this project from my company. We are off on Thursday and Friday. Our hotel has a kitchen but no oven. We were going to go out but today decided for a more relaxing time. I bought a small turkey (cheaper than just the breast). I will cut some of it off and do turkey and gravy. I will use some of it for a turkey stir fry.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

This is going to be the first time in a long time that I haven't hosted Thanksgiving. We've been invited to a friend's house. They are a really fun couple, so we're looking forward to it.

I still get to make stuffing, cranberry pear sauce, and praline sweet potatoes!

I'll be cooking a turkey breast and some sides on the weekend for leftovers, leftovers are such a big part of the holiday that we HAVE to have them!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #33
Master Chef

This is what I think we're having:
1 smoked turkey (13 lb.)
2 oven roasted turkeys
Smashed spuds
Baked Sweet Potatoes
cranberry sauce
black and green olives
lightly sweetened rutabaga with butter
bread dressing
rice dressing
layered jello desert
pumpkin pie
either apple pie, or cheesecake (I'd rther have the apple pie,)
My Mother's version of SeaBreeze Salad (not like any other that I've seen)
I & DW get to be with two DD and grandkids. One son will be deer hunting in Yooper Country. The other son with DDIL and grandkids is in Washington State. We will skype with them.

It's gonna be a good day.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I did another round of the grocery stores, looking for turkey legs and thighs, even necks. No such luck. My new theory is there are scads of turkeys that needed breast reductions...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #35
Wine Guy

DW is out of the country on business and daughter is working that day. So I'm going to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked to bring potatoes, so I was thinking of making some Au Gratin something or other.

And since I don't eat white potatoes myself, I'll also be taking along a barley and wild rice alternative.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
DW is out of the country on business and daughter is working that day. So I'm going to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked to bring potatoes, so I was thinking of making some Au Gratin something or other.

And since I don't eat white potatoes myself, I'll also be taking along a barley and wild rice alternative.
To impress, try Potatoes Anna, laying out the bottom layer in a pretty floral patter, so that when it's inverted, it looks great.

Hasselback potatoes is another showstoper. Look up the recipe online. They're easy to make and look great. You might make them with small, new potatoes, though they'd be more difficult to peel.

If you have an apple corer, you can remove a plug from the center of each raw potato, stuff the hole with something yummy. Cut the plug in half and use it like a cork on either end, to seal in the filling.

Potatoes riced is always nice.

Use a smooth, waxy potato, like a white rose, and you could boil them up, skin them, and blend with canned milk and butter to make super rich and smooth mashed potatoes. If you add sauteed onion to the mix, it's even better.

When's the last time you made potato cakes. And potato rolls are sublime. The softest most buttery bread rolls ever created. If you need a recipe, let me know. I have the original Spud Nuts doughnut recipe that is used to make those amazing potato-bread rolls.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a great dish of scalloped potatoes, or potatoes au gratin. Oh, and that's you in the hat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Do you have any comparable holiday?

That really chaps my hide too. Turkey breasts, too dry. Legs, too many tendons and a PITA to eat or cook. Wings? Sure, gimme about 20-30 of them.

Turkey thighs? I often wonder just WTH they do with them. The markets always hve breasts, legs or wings, but hardly ever do they have thigns.

If I could get turkey thighs I'd have that for Thanksgiving.

But I can't, so I got a nice little rack of lamb for TG. I have some caviar from Trader Joe's and my wine cellar is stocked almost well enough to past past 12-21-2012 doomsday. Maybe the world may end on that day, but if so I'm definitely not going out sober!
I think that the thighs probably go to making ground turkey since it is probably easier to separate the meat than it would be for leg meat.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Me too. I see all the wings and drumsticks and breasts, and I wonder where they went. I've had some of my best dinners from turkey thighs.

So my main plan is rack of lamb, and standby is turkey thighs if I can find them.
Ever since a friend stopped by with a package of turkey necks and asked me to cook them up, I've been getting them regularly. Tender meat and a hearty flavor, plus a great stock.

I like darker meat and thighs would be just perfect.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
This is going to be the first time in a long time that I haven't hosted Thanksgiving. We've been invited to a friend's house. They are a really fun couple, so we're looking forward to it.

I still get to make stuffing, cranberry pear sauce, and praline sweet potatoes!

I'll be cooking a turkey breast and some sides on the weekend for leftovers, leftovers are such a big part of the holiday that we HAVE to have them!
We also are going somewhere else for the big day, and I will be fixing another turkey here at home over the weekend. Hubby really misses the leftovers when we go somewhere else. When I fix it at home after Thanksgiving day, we have lots of leftovers! YUM!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Again Chief you have stepped up to the plate with great potato ideas! Thanks. I will have to try some out!

Tags
thanksgiving