Thanksgiving Day Menu/Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't find any turkey pieces except breast, and I don't care for that. So we are having ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, broccoli and pumpkin custard. Just the two of us.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I couldn't find any turkey pieces except breast, and I don't care for that. So we are having ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, broccoli and pumpkin custard. Just the two of us.

Fi....I am having the same trouble. We used to be able to get hind quarters. I haven't been able to find them anywhere. We prefer dark meat. I guess I might end up doing a chicken or really small turkey. Coincidently DH suggested ham as I has mentioned I was really craving it......but I am one of those dressing in the bird people and dressing is my favorite Thanksgiving food. :(

It sounds like you are all going to have wonderul thanksgivings, lovely to hear :)

Do you have any comparable holiday?

That really chaps my hide too. Turkey breasts, too dry. Legs, too many tendons and a PITA to eat or cook. Wings? Sure, gimme about 20-30 of them.

Turkey thighs? I often wonder just WTH they do with them. The markets always hve breasts, legs or wings, but hardly ever do they have thigns.

If I could get turkey thighs I'd have that for Thanksgiving.

But I can't, so I got a nice little rack of lamb for TG. I have some caviar from Trader Joe's and my wine cellar is stocked almost well enough to past past 12-21-2012 doomsday. Maybe the world may end on that day, but if so I'm definitely not going out sober! :)

Mrs Hoot found a great deal on a turkey, so another year passes with traditional fare. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just feel the urge to fly in the face of tradition from time to time.

Cuban style pork roast, black beans, rice, pan Cubano, maduros and maybe a flan.:yum:

We're going to a buffet on Thursday while on vacation. When we get back, we'll have the family get together at my sister's with turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes and the infamous green bean casserole along with some broccoli and another veggie yet to be determined. I'm making pumpkin dip, cheese ball, and Oklahoma caviar for the appetizers.

I'm not planning anything special. The whole bird I made last year was tough and had too many leftovers.

I'm keeping an eye out for turkey thighs. If I can find a couple of those, I'll make stuffing and gravy to go with that, otherwise, I'll just skip it.

This year, payday is the day before Thanksgiving, so I'll have to cram my shopping in on Wednesday. I don't have any desire to be out shopping for at least another week.

Pray for my sanity! We are making Thanksgiving dinner in my SpEd class today. We have a turkey in the oven. Giblets ready for gravy. Cranberries cooked and cooling. Dry ingredients measured for biscuits. We're cheating with Stove Top Stuffing. And I don't know if we'll get to the mashed sweet potatoes. It's 11:10AM. The kids are in P.E. and won't return until 11:45. The turkey still has another hour or so to go. And we have to eat and have half my students ready to get on the bus at 2:10.:rolleyes:

To top it off my knee has decided it doesn't want to work but it does want to give me a lot of pain when I try to make it work. Looks like another trip to the chiropractor tonight instead of the district teacher appreciation gathering. Bummer. Oh well, I get brownie points with the administration for cooking Thanksgiving dinner with the kids.:chef:

I don't know if I have time but my elderly grandparents really want to....
May have to have an out of the box thanksgiving...poor husband not used to me cooking like that. Well see...

I'm keeping an eye out for turkey thighs. If I can find a couple of those, I'll make stuffing and gravy to go with that, otherwise, I'll just skip it.

Me too. I see all the wings and drumsticks and breasts, and I wonder where they went. I've had some of my best dinners from turkey thighs.

So my main plan is rack of lamb, and standby is turkey thighs if I can find them.

There are two of us working on this project from my company. We are off on Thursday and Friday. Our hotel has a kitchen but no oven. We were going to go out but today decided for a more relaxing time. I bought a small turkey (cheaper than just the breast). I will cut some of it off and do turkey and gravy. I will use some of it for a turkey stir fry.

This is going to be the first time in a long time that I haven't hosted Thanksgiving. We've been invited to a friend's house. They are a really fun couple, so we're looking forward to it.

I still get to make stuffing, cranberry pear sauce, and praline sweet potatoes!

I'll be cooking a turkey breast and some sides on the weekend for leftovers, leftovers are such a big part of the holiday that we HAVE to have them!

This is what I think we're having:
1 smoked turkey (13 lb.)
2 oven roasted turkeys
Smashed spuds
Baked Sweet Potatoes
cranberry sauce
black and green olives
lightly sweetened rutabaga with butter
bread dressing
rice dressing
layered jello desert
pumpkin pie
either apple pie, or cheesecake (I'd rther have the apple pie;),)
My Mother's version of SeaBreeze Salad (not like any other that I've seen)
I & DW get to be with two DD and grandkids. One son will be deer hunting in Yooper Country. The other son with DDIL and grandkids is in Washington State. We will skype with them.

It's gonna be a good day.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I did another round of the grocery stores, looking for turkey legs and thighs, even necks. No such luck. My new theory is there are scads of turkeys that needed breast reductions...:rolleyes:

DW is out of the country on business and daughter is working that day. So I'm going to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked to bring potatoes, so I was thinking of making some Au Gratin something or other. :chef:

And since I don't eat white potatoes myself, I'll also be taking along a barley and wild rice alternative.

DW is out of the country on business and daughter is working that day. So I'm going to my sister-in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked to bring potatoes, so I was thinking of making some Au Gratin something or other. :chef:

And since I don't eat white potatoes myself, I'll also be taking along a barley and wild rice alternative.

To impress, try Potatoes Anna, laying out the bottom layer in a pretty floral patter, so that when it's inverted, it looks great.

Hasselback potatoes is another showstoper. Look up the recipe online. They're easy to make and look great. You might make them with small, new potatoes, though they'd be more difficult to peel.

If you have an apple corer, you can remove a plug from the center of each raw potato, stuff the hole with something yummy. Cut the plug in half and use it like a cork on either end, to seal in the filling.

Potatoes riced is always nice.

Use a smooth, waxy potato, like a white rose, and you could boil them up, skin them, and blend with canned milk and butter to make super rich and smooth mashed potatoes. If you add sauteed onion to the mix, it's even better.

When's the last time you made potato cakes. And potato rolls are sublime. The softest most buttery bread rolls ever created. If you need a recipe, let me know. I have the original Spud Nuts doughnut recipe that is used to make those amazing potato-bread rolls.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a great dish of scalloped potatoes, or potatoes au gratin.:chef: Oh, and that's you in the hat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Do you have any comparable holiday?

That really chaps my hide too. Turkey breasts, too dry. Legs, too many tendons and a PITA to eat or cook. Wings? Sure, gimme about 20-30 of them.

Turkey thighs? I often wonder just WTH they do with them. The markets always hve breasts, legs or wings, but hardly ever do they have thigns.

If I could get turkey thighs I'd have that for Thanksgiving.

But I can't, so I got a nice little rack of lamb for TG. I have some caviar from Trader Joe's and my wine cellar is stocked almost well enough to past past 12-21-2012 doomsday. Maybe the world may end on that day, but if so I'm definitely not going out sober! :)

I think that the thighs probably go to making ground turkey since it is probably easier to separate the meat than it would be for leg meat.

Me too. I see all the wings and drumsticks and breasts, and I wonder where they went. I've had some of my best dinners from turkey thighs.

So my main plan is rack of lamb, and standby is turkey thighs if I can find them.

Ever since a friend stopped by with a package of turkey necks and asked me to cook them up, I've been getting them regularly. Tender meat and a hearty flavor, plus a great stock.

I like darker meat and thighs would be just perfect.

bakechef said:
This is going to be the first time in a long time that I haven't hosted Thanksgiving. We've been invited to a friend's house. They are a really fun couple, so we're looking forward to it.

I still get to make stuffing, cranberry pear sauce, and praline sweet potatoes!

I'll be cooking a turkey breast and some sides on the weekend for leftovers, leftovers are such a big part of the holiday that we HAVE to have them!

We also are going somewhere else for the big day, and I will be fixing another turkey here at home over the weekend. Hubby really misses the leftovers when we go somewhere else. When I fix it at home after Thanksgiving day, we have lots of leftovers! YUM!

Again Chief you have stepped up to the plate with great potato ideas! Thanks. I will have to try some out!

Back
Top Bottom