Thanksgiving Desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I vary the menu at Christmas, but we like the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The only exception is that neither of us likes cranberries much, so no cranberry dish. Instead, I make cherry sauce. It also reminds us of growing up in Michigan, which grows a lot of cherries.

I'll probably make either a pumpkin or sweet potato pie and also a coconut cake.

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Pecan crust. A no sugar pumpkin pie for my Mom and Dad.

A pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust. I will make that. And having walked Pirate through the making of an apple pie, I will let him make that. Both will head to my daughter's home for the dinner.

Since I am diabetic and Pirate is presently watching his diet, the custom of taking one slice out of any dessert for Pirate, before it heads to my daughter's home will be missing this year. For the first time I will arrive with two whole desserts.

If they still have some small pumpkins Thursday when I go shopping, I will pick up a few and make pumpkin cookies also. I use the standard recipe, but I do replace some of the flour with finely ground hazel nuts.

I always make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I vary the menu at Christmas, but we like the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The only exception is that neither of us likes cranberries much, so no cranberry dish. Instead, I make cherry sauce. It also reminds us of growing up in Michigan, which grows a lot of cherries.

Recipes please.

We will make an apple pie using our own Haralson apples. Haralson's are tart, crisp and make great pies. The apples store well too. A niece will make a pecan pie ( pea-cahn) and a SIL will bring her sweet potato pie. Another SIL will bring a non pie dessert.

Thanks to you who post recipes for the holiday.

The usual - a store bought Claim Jumper Blackberry pie. :D Those things are almost 3 pounds of deliciousness. It's become a tradition for my brother to come by early morning the day after Thanksgiving for coffee and pie. :)

Attachments

• Claim Jumper pie.jpg
    Claim Jumper pie.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 167
Recipes please.
Here's my sweet potato pie.

https://palatablepastime.com/2014/10/21/sweet-potato-pie/

I don't have the recipe for the coconut cake ready yet. It's not a snowball cake but one with a syrup poured over it. I had a request for it I plan to fill on my blog.
If I get it done early I'll have it by the 13th. I'm buried right now in making Christmas cookies and getting ready to do a pear and port cake.

This year we are going to have an apple pecan pie, a pumpkin pie and gingered cranberry sorbet.

Apple pecan is one of my favorite pies - all the best parts of a pecan pie and the tang of apple pie. Usually I delegate pumpkin pie duty to a guest as I'm not a fan.

Sorbet will be made a day or two in advance and all of it served with whipped cream - buffet style.

This year we are going to have an apple pecan pie, a pumpkin pie and gingered cranberry sorbet.

Usually I delegate pumpkin pie duty to a guest as I'm not a fan.

Sorbet will be made a day or two in advance .

I accept the invitation! I love pumpkin pie - more so and especially the next day for breakfast. I will have the apple pecan and the sorbet after supper.

Should I bring one or two pies?
img_1486199_0_5f320b2a4eb4d7af897d5b33acb0054c.gif

and would you please share the recipe for the sorbet? please?
oh and did I say please?

Last edited:

and would you please share the recipe for the sorbet? please?
oh and did I say please?

Here is the sorbet recipe - I often adjust the lime juice (adding more) based on the tartness of the cranberries.

INGREDIENTS

4 C fresh cranberries
2 C sugar
1/4 C dark brown sugar
2 C water
1 thumb fresh ginger, peeled and roughly sliced
Strip of orange peel - about 1/2 orange worth

½ C orange juice
Zest from 1 lime, grated
Juice from 1 lime

Mint leaves for garnish
Ginger snaps for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring berries,sugars, ginger, orange peel and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until cranberries pop and soften.
  2. Remove from heat and discard ginger chunks and orange rind.
  3. Puree mixture or strain through sieve pressing to extract as much juice and pulp as possible (discard skins)
  4. Stir in orange juice. Lime zest and lime juice.
  5. Let mixture cool, then pour into an 8 or 9 inch. metal pan; cover and freeze at least 12 hours, or until solid.
To serve: Garnish scoops of sorbet with mint and serve with ginger snaps..
---

Have you seen the Cranberry lime pie in this month Bon Appetit? Seriously considering adding this to the table. It looks like a riff on a key lime pie and would be a good addition.. Cranberry-Lime Pie Recipe | Bon Appetit
cranberry-lime-pie.jpg

Thank you so much, I'sapprecitates!

And the pie looks scrumptious too! Gonna check it out right away!
(just don't care for that napkin ring (?) 'fraid they give me the willy's)

My wife makes the best pecan pie, absolutely delicious.

When Poo was dating the girl he ended up marrying, I made three pies for them to take to her mother's house for the holiday. Pumpkin, apple and a pecan pie. Now they only had to drive less than an hour. Well, the pecan never made it. Then that night while everyone was sitting around the dining room drinking their coffee, they all finished off the last two pies. None of them made it to the dinner table.

I am going simple--plain ol' apple pie. I don't like pumpkin pie and since I am in charge of T'giving, I am going simple. My Mom won't eat much, so the menu is scaled way back. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, squash, relish tray with pickled beets, B&B pickles, dill pickles. Apple pie for dessert. I can't do cranberry sauce because of the meds my Mom is on, so no cranberry sauce. I can't do anything spicy because of my Dad's issue with bleeding from his prostate, so I can't make my cranberry salsa or my pickled shrimp. Everything will be fairly bland. I invited a neighbour and her husband because I don't want to deal with the leftovers for a week. And, she didn't want to cook a turkey for two people.

Back
Top Bottom