Thanksgiving dinner for 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiggerbengal

Assistant Cook
We are going to my husbands parents for lunch, and his mom said they are buying turkey "slices" from the store. To me, it sounds like deli meat and not a true traditional turkey. So, I want to make me and my husband a real one for dinner, however I am having a problem: The smallest turkey I have found so far is 9 lbs, which is a bit too big, I think. Do they make smaller ones? Does AJ Fine Foods carry small ones like that?

hmm how bout turkey breasts. i think the smallest turkey youll ever find is like a 8 lb. cause i found a 8 lb at cosco

Butterball has small turkeys called Li'l Butterball. You can also find turkey breasts all over the place.

Why not roast a big turkey? That's what I do. I divide the leftover into plastic freezer bags and freeze them for future use.

Is the turkey breast white meat or dark meat? Hubby likes dark meat .. I guess I could buy a 9 lb and freeze it or if we get tire of it, toss it.

I think anything smaller would be a chicken. You also have to remember part of that weight is bone. By the time you subtract that, it might be gone in a couple of meals. Have pets, they would enjoy some turkey.

Well, a turkey breast would be fine. It is, of course, all white meat. The little turkeys tend to be all bone, so I go for the 12 punder, even if it's just for 2. I take it all apart and freeze some of it immediately. Then I make soup with the bones. I don't hesitate to make a whole turkey for just 2 people but I like the turkey breast as well. I like the taste of turkey and it freezes well, so don't think you have to eat turkey for a week.

BC

Tiggerbengal, like you there are two of us.

We buy a 14 to 16 lb. bird.

After T-day dinner we have leftovers and sandwiches (including hot turkey sandwiches with gravy).

But I think little beats a sandwich of turkey with stuffing, mayo, and fresh ground pepper.

Then we take the rest of the meat and and make turkey pot pies (always look forward to those), and finally use the carcass and the remains for soup.

Buy a larger turkey (about 12 pounds is considered the best size) and have the butcher cut it in half with his power saw. He can cut it while it's still frozen.

You can stuff and roast half now and keep the other half frozen to be cooked later.

It's not the same as turkey, but for two you could make an attractive presentation and romantic dinner with cornish hens and some sort of savory glaze or sauce. Then again, there's always duck. Not much on those. :LOL:

Our local stores have breast (white meat) and leg/thigh (dark meat) available separately. White meat is preferred by the majority of people, so your local meat person might be willing to cut some dark for you if they don't sell it separately.

Another idea is to go with the 9 pounder and use part of the meat insomething else, like mole poblano. :)

I bought a 9 lb turkey .. a fresh one not frozen, too! I did originally buy a turkey breast but didnt think before I bought it though .. For some reason, I thought breast had dark meat, too, but it didnt, so I took it back (15 minutes after I bought it) and got the whole one instead.

mouse said:
It's not the same as turkey, but for two you could make an attractive presentation and romantic dinner with cornish hens and some sort of savory glaze or sauce. Then again, there's always duck. Not much on those. :LOL:

Mouse, that's what I'm doing this year...it's not the same, but I filled up on fried turkey last night...into the kitchen now to make some cornbread!

Pleaseee don't give your pets Turkey. Makes their little tummy's hurt..causes intestinal problems.

Bridget has dibs on the giblets when they're done, and regularly wades through the leftovers with the rest of us.

Any dog or cat breeder or Vet will tell you that. All Dove gets is raw carrots because they act like dental floss and she loves them. raw yeggys are ok but no table scraps.

I'm on the side of buying the smallest turkey you can find, freezing leftovers, and when you're sick of it .... welll. In real fact, I find someone to feed it to. Throw a dinner party where you make an easy turkey 'pot pie' :

leftover turkey, chopped
leftover gravy, or use a jar or mix
frozen mixed vegetables (and/or leftover veggies, anything you like)
1 dairy container of biscuits.

Mix the turkey, gravy, veggies and some thyme and sage. cook together until hot. Put in a casserole dish and top with the biscuits. Bake according to the biscuit directions.

But then, that's me. I've been known to come home from a freind's house with a bag containing the turkey carcass when she was going to throw it away! Turkey soup!

tiggerbengal said:
We are going to my husbands parents for lunch, and his mom said they are buying turkey "slices" from the store. To me, it sounds like deli meat and not a true traditional turkey. So, I want to make me and my husband a real one for dinner, however I am having a problem: The smallest turkey I have found so far is 9 lbs, which is a bit too big, I think. Do they make smaller ones? Does AJ Fine Foods carry small ones like that?

tiggerbengal, this may come too late, but why not Cornish Game Hens. Some of them are so small a good eater could eat a whole one. They are usually under two poudns each/

Back
Top Bottom