Thanksgiving Gravy w/giblets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make my gravy the day before so not rushing to finish
I buy a package of turkey wings, or drumsticks - take that with the giblets lil each of celery carrot salt pepper and chick or turkey broth and bring to a rolling boil and then simmer till meat is done - then make a roux - I make it a little thicker as after the turkey is done i add the drippings to the already made gravy. good everytime.

That's a good idea letscook. I think I'll try that too...sans giblets. Do you leave a little of the meat from the wings&legs in the gravy or keep it smooth. I've do mine smooth but am open to a little meat.

i forgot to add that the turkey is rubbed with a few spices, so as it gets basted, some if it runs off flavouring the eventual gravy.

also, the turkey's neck goes into the bottom corner of the pan under the rack while the turkey roasts to add more taste to the drippings/basting liquid. my mom, bil, and i like to nibble on the neck after it's cooked.

my wife usually chucks the giblets, but if i get there in time i save them, chop them up and make a turkey offal fry with some onions, bacon, and butter the next day.
The neck goes in my roasting pan also. I shred it and add it to the gravy.

The neck goes in my roasting pan also. I shred it and add it to the gravy.

I have never heard of that. I will have to try it this year. I have boiled the "junk" for broth without veggies before . I don't want my gravy to taste like stuffing. I also make my gravy in the roaster over 2 burners. I tilt the pan so the dripping run to one side, let that part of the pan turn brown, not black, not burnt. Then lay it flat and watch the drippings turn a nice light brown color. Repeat. I then add my flour and continue on. I might try to "toast the flour" in the oven before hand. I read that some where a couple of months ago.

Back
Top Bottom