"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have to bring this to anything my family has now. It's different and it's really good.
Surprising Broccoli Salad

Old 09-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Meltingpotmama,

our family is used to Itlian things as well as traditional things on Thanksgiving so with all the food I prepare I also have a headache Several things my kids request, mashed potatoes and gravey, artichokes with garlic,butter and italian parsley, home made rolls of some sort, stuffed celery half with blue cheese half with peanut butter, rice torta, stuffed onions and zucchini, the turkey and a ham, they also like just plain baked in butter around the ham sweet potatoes. We always have a green salad, home made stuffing, with mushrooms, water chestnuts, apple and nuts, chocolate pie, pecan pie, mince meat pie, and pumpkin pie..I know I've forgotten something here, but that's what we usually do..If you see anything here that you would like to try, let me know and I'll help with a recipe .
Good luck, I'm sure you will do a wondrful meal and have a lovely dinner.
kadesma

Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I always make this for thanksgiving, its so easy but its great!

Corn Casserole

1 can of creamed corn
1 can of whole kernal corn
2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix
3/4 cup sour cream

mix well, pour into a 9X9 baking dish (I mix right in the baking dish!) , dot with butter and bake for 45 minutes on 350F. This serves about 6.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
Head Chef

If you end up cooking all the dishes, try to plan things so that they will come out at the same time and some dishes that can be prepared ahead. If your making your own stuffing/dressing, that can be made ahead of time, as well as any sort of casserole, then baked on the day of. Maybe you can go buy dessert, if that's not your focus, then you can concentrate on the main dinner. Good luck! Let us know how the trial run goes!! I do the same thing when I have to cook something new.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It isn't Thanksgiving at our house without this (super simple to make the night before):

Cranberry Salad

2 (3 oz.) packages lemon or orange jello (if you want it firmer, mix with one packet unflavored geletin)
2 cups boiling water
2 cups pineapple juice (you can use juice drained from the pineapple for this)
1 cup sugar
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups drained crushed pineapple
1 cup chopped walnuts

Dissolve jello in hot water. Add juice. Put in refrigerator.

Grind enough cranberries to make 2 cups (if you freeze them for awhile they will grind better). Stir in 1 cup sugar. Refrigerate while you chop the celery and nuts.

To jello, add cranberry mixture, celery, pineapple, and walnuts.

Refrigerate until set.

Barbara
Old 09-28-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
Head Chef

Raine posted Linda McCarthy's Overnight Mashed Potatoes that might be a good candidate for a prepare ahead dish.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #17
Executive Chef

HEre's another oldie but goodie:

Recipe: Creamed Red and White Pearl Onions With Bacon

Time: 25 minutes

2 10-ounce bags red pearl onions
1 10-ounce bag white pearl onions
2 1/2 ounces (2 strips) thick-cut bacon, diced ( 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, minced

1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 pints heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped parsley.

1. If red and white onions are about the same size, bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add onions and blanch until skins loosen slightly, about 5 minutes. Drain. (If white onions are considerably larger, blanch onions separately, increasing time on white onions by a couple of minutes.) Peel onions and set aside. (Onions can be blanched and peeled ahead of time. Place in 2-quart zipper-lock bag and refrigerate until ready to use.)

2. Sauté bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate and set aside. Pour off bacon fat. Melt butter in Dutch oven over low heat until foaming, add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent but not browned, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add heavy cream and simmer until cream is thick and golden and has reduced by half, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir onions into cream to heat through.

3. Heat broiler. Turn onions and cream into a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Top with bacon, bread crumbs and parsley. Place under broiler and cook until crumbs are browned and dish is bubbling, about 10 minutes.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

YUM, Marmalady! I love that!
Old 09-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
Sous Chef

My advice would be to prepare as much as you can ahead. We usually have about 18 people at Mom's and my sister and I do most of the cooking for Thanksgiving. I shop on Sunday. The turkey moves from the freezer to the refrigerator. My sister starts Monday night by doing all the chopping for any recipe that needs ingredients chopped. Other stuffing ingredients are prepared Tuesday night. She is fortunate that she can take the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off so that is when the turkey and extra stuffing get done. She slices it and puts it in the refrigerator. She also cooks the giblets. At my end, I'm thawing a turkey breast and taking care of dessert. One of us does baked corn in a crockpot. DH and I get up early Thursday to deep fry the turkey breast and get to Mom's early. We have 3 18 quart roasters with inset pans, three 6 quart roasters and crock pots. Sweet potatoes go into one of the roasters early so they have time to cook and they stay in the roaster for serving. The large roasters are set up as steam tables for the turkey and filling. The mashed potatoes are made last because we don't have a recipe that holds well without tasting leftover. Once we have everthing beginning to heat we set the tables and wait for the relatives. One brings the appetizers, another a different kind of stuffing, another an extra dessert. We also buy nice disposable plates and flatware for ease of clean-up. Drinks are on a card table at the front door. There are plastic cups and a marker so each person can write their name on their cup. For us this works well. The worst of the dishes have already been done along with the cooking so we can enjoy the day with relatives instead of spending the day in the kitchen.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I'd never thought about deep frying a turkey breast. That is a wonderful idea. I've eaten fried turkey many times, but never wanted to make one. The breast would be so much easier and quicker also. About how long does it take to fry it? You have lots of wonderful ideas and it sounds like a really good family gathering.