Thanksgiving is at my house this year, HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once the oil is hot (which takes a very long time) a 9 pound turkey breast takes 25-30 minutes to fry. The instructions that came with our turkey fryer say it must be used outdoors. The heat source is a propane burner designed to hold the pot that comes with it. It uses a propane tank like you use for a gas grill. Since it is cold in November and often a bit windy, getting the oil up to temperature is what takes the time. We've learned to allow an hour.

Oh man, you guys are KILLING me here! So far, I've copied Shunka's Butternut Squash Bake and crewsk's Pumpkin Crunch Cake.

Got to dive back in there now. Come ON, Thanksgiving!!!

Lee

I guess I should be more helpful to this thread, rather just adding my drool to it.

Let's talk a few appetizers for your Thanksgiving dinner, meltingpotmama. I take it that you are having dinner in the evening, so you can serve the appetizers early in the afternoon.

Keep them light and simple, since there is so much going on at dinner. Some of my family's favorites are:

-shrimp cocktail (the simplest and most impressive thing) - use thawed, pre-cooked shrimp and an easy homemade cocktail sauce
- some roll-ups of, say, hard salami and a cream cheese and olive mixture (cut into bite sized pieces with toothpicks to serve)
- Sophie's Dip (recipe below - Sophie was my Polish grandmother and used to wipe the dip bowl with her finger, after finishing most of this dip herself) served with Bugles and/or good potato chips (people LOVE Bugles and the memories they evoke)
- slices of toasted party pumpernickel, spread with cream cheese and chives, then topped with a piece of smoked salmon (with a tiny piece of fresh dill, to get fancy)
- those toothpick things in the grapefruit (chunks of ham, cheese and pickle - see center of picture)

Well I could go on and on, since appetizers are my favorite course.

Here's Sophie's Dip. This recipe REQUIRES fresh herbs and Accent (MSG). No kidding.

Lee

Sophie’s Dip

1 cup sour cream

½ cup mayo (Hellman's)

½ teaspoon Accent

2T fresh chives

2 T fresh parsley

1 teaspoon fresh dill

Lemon rind on top for garnish (optional)

Mix and let meld in fridge for several hours before serving.

Attachments

• Christmas 12-03 001.jpg
    Christmas 12-03 001.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 276
I urge you to brine the bird before roasting it!

Here are a couple side dishes for you:

Party Potatoes

8 potatoes peeled and cooked
8 ounces cream cheese softened
8 ounces sour cream
3 tablespoons chives, salt, pepper & garlic salt
butter
cheddar cheese shredded
paprika

Instructions: Mash potatoes. Blend cream cheese & sour cream. Mix with potatoes. Add chives, salt , pepper, & garlic salt.

Spread in buttered 9 X 13-inch pan. Cover & put in refrigerator.

1 hour before serving:
dot with butter, sprinkle with cheese & paprika. Bake at 325* for 1 hour.

Broccoli Casserole

20 ounces frozen chopped broccoli thawed
8 ounces Velveeta
1 stick butter
1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
1/2 cup milk

Instructions: Melt the Velveeta in top of double boiler and add milk and butter until
butter is melted.

Thaw broccoli in micro and drain.

Crush crackers.

Mix all together and bake for about 20 minutes at 350.

Thanksgiving is my favorite!

One very simple dish, a family favoriite is just plain sweet potatoes - one of the few canned things I absolutely love - my mother made it every year and it's a TNT and it doesn't take up stove or oven space!:

1 large can of "yams" or Sweet Potatoes whatever you can find in a big can but Princess brand comes to mind

Pour the whole thing into an electric fry pan; add 1/2 stick of butter and a bunch (about 1/2 C) brown sugar add a bit of orange juice (concentrated is fine - or fresh) - just a bit about 1 oz and let it simmer until it's all thick and very hot.

The best part of this dish is that when you eat your leftovers everyone will fight over the remains - if there are any!

My first Turkey day I cooked for 24 people in a small apartment I was scared to death - it went well and I've cooked every year since..... it's a joy!

My dad, bless his heart, pitched in to do the dishes every time.

Good luck and enjoy! That's the most important part - the happy cook makes the best food!

Please let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Great photo, Qsis!
Another option for Thanksgiving appetizer is Buckytom's idea he gave last year - cantaloupe cubes wrapped in proscuitto, then held with a toothpick. It's quick, it's easy and the combination of flavors is really yummy.

OMGosh! I cannot thank you all enough. I'm going to need all the help I can get. I might not have added that there is an underlying problem to my stressing this years festivities. My in laws do not speak English. Not one bit. And my Spanish is limited to cussing and everyday words, not conversing. Now imagine having someone in your kitchen that you cannot communicate with! thanks again for all the help, ideas, and recipes. If you have anymore please post them, I will be checking and rechecking this forum.

My sister and I share cooking duties. I usually have to "save" her turkey. I bring mine ready to eat.

In spite of all the techniques you may have heard about, I can garuntee you a juicy and tender bird if you follow these very simple directions.

Preheat the oven to 450' F.

1. Make sure the bird is thawed and brought to room temperature.

2. Dry the skin and brush with salted butter.

3. Place an accurate meat thermometer into the breast, with the point near the hip joint.

4. Put the bird on a rack and into a suitably large roasting pan.

5. Lightly salt the skin (no it won't dry out the bird).

6. Cover the breast meat with a tent of aluminum foil.

7. Put the turkey into the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.

8. When the timer goes off, reduce the heat to 350 and reset the timer to go off about 30 minutes before you expect the bird to be done. Figure about 12 minutes per pound. Now don't touch the bird again until the timer goes off. No basting is necessary. Basting does not make the turkey any more juicy. It just increases the cooking time because you cool the oven when you open the door.

9. When the timer goes off again, remove the tent and check the meat thermometer. Check the meat thermometer every 15 minutes from here on out and remove the turkey when the thermometer reads 155.

Let the turkey rest a minimum of 15 minutes before carving.

To carve, use a sharp boning or fillet knife to remove the whole breast from the bone. Lay it on your cutting board and bias-slice across the grain. This insures that everyone gets some sking and creates very tender slices.

Our sides include sea-breeze salad, dressing made outside the turkey but with turkey broth, mashed potatoes made with canned milk and real butter (makes them very rich), sweet potatoes mashed with butter, brown sugar, cloves, and cinnamon, home-made whole-wheat bread rolls, turkey gravey, black ollives, a rellish tray, rutabbegas mashed with a bit of mollases, sugar, butter and salt (you have to try them:mrgreen:), pumpkin pie, cheese cake. and home-made egg nog.

Sometimes, instead of a pumpkin pie, we'll make the pie filling and pour it into a casserole dish. Then sprinkle a mixture of flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, and butter over the top, like an apple crisp topping, and serve with whipped cream.

If you've never had rutabeggas before, just purchase the veggie. Peel it as you would a giant potato. It's easier if you cut it into sections first. Then boil until tender and flavor with salt, butter, mollases, and sugar to taste. They are really very tasty, if strange sounding.

As for the turkey, my method comes from literally years of experimentation, and trying all of the ways people told me to make the bird. I finally got fed up with dry turkeys and started thinking about what happens to meat as it cooks. Teh result of my work is that I now know that turkey is nearly foolproof and requires much less fuss & bother than most people would think. And if you wait for the pop-up timer to pop up, you end up with cardboard-dry meat. Use the meat thermometer and try my method just once. You will be pleasantly suprized at how easy it is to roast a turkey. The same technique works on the covered grill as well.

This turkey comes out so good, that I have been asked to make them for weddings.

Good luck to you, and remember, the most important thing to your success is to organize your tasks before hand.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm with Zereh. START by letting everyone know that you cannot possibly make every dish that every person HAS to have for Thanksgiving. For example, in my family, they love that sweet-potato-with-fruit-and-marshmallow travesty. We didn't have it growing up (in those days Mom just mashed sweet potatoes with butter, S&P, and I'll never understand why anyone needs to add sugar to sweet potatoes. Makes my fillings ache jus to think of it!). So I always told them if they wanted it, they got to bring it. I'm not a southerner, and some southerners HAVE to have cornbread dressing. I just say, make some and bring it (my stuffing is a sage-based one). This gets a lot of the pressure off of you. You don't have to live up to anyone's expectations.

BTW, my sister's MIL joined us often. She's from Puerto Rico. We would put her to work seasoning the turkey, and it would be delicious. Good food tops all language barriers, so relax.

Last edited:
There is so much food at Thanksgiving that I go light on appetizers -- I buy a variety of pickles and marinated vegetables (artichoke hearts, mushrooms) and some fresh veggies (carrot sticks, etc) and put out crudites to nibble on while sipping drinks and waiting for the main event. I either buy pies or assign them to a guest (who can buy or make, at their discretion) and have a good vanilla ice cream, whipped cream (I cheat here), and cheddar cheese on hand to accompany the pies.

GREAT idea, Claire! I bet Joanne's in-laws would love to bring some of their own traditional family favorites to the party. And would be honored that she asked them to share their dishes with the rest of her crowd.

Goodweed, what is "sea-breeze" salad?

Lee

meltingpotmama said:
...My in laws do not speak English. Not one bit. And my Spanish is limited to cussing and everyday words, not conversing...
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
That's hysterical!

Here's another idea: the day before thanksgiving, cut up lots of carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, etc, put them in a ziploc, and put a can of black olives in the fridge to chill. Next day, when the company arrives, take out the veggies and arrange them on a platter. Put it in front of your inlaws, and maybe you can have the kitchen to yourself.

Another OCD thing I do - 2 days before Thanksgiving, I put the leaves into the tables, and put on the tablecloths. Then, I put all the serving dishes that will be used. In each one, I put a piece of paper with the item it will contain written on it. Then I arrange the platters to make sure they'll fit. This way, if you need to bring in another piece of furniture to use as a buffet next to the table, you'll know in advance.

QSis said:
GREAT idea, Claire! I bet Joanne's in-laws would love to bring some of their own traditional family favorites to the party. And would be honored that she asked them to share their dishes with the rest of her crowd.

Goodweed, what is "sea-breeze" salad?

Lee

We have 2 versions of this classic. It is so named for it's green, ocean foam look, and it's refreshing flavor. It has no seefood in it.

Ingredients;
1 pkg. lime gelatin
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup chpped walnuts
1 12oz. can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream

Make gelatin according to package directions. Blend together the cottage cheese and juice from the canned pineapple until smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix in the pineapple.

When the gelatine is partially set, fold in the cottage cheese mixture, nuts, and finally the whipped cream. Pur into a circualr mold and refrigerate until complety set. Unmold at the table.

Version 2 omits the whipped cream, and adds the cottage cheese and other ingredients to the partially set lime gelatin without the blending process. This is thenserved as a jello salad in a large bowl.

Both versions are yummy.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When the

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom