"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 10-02-2005, 04:55 AM   #31
Master Chef
There is so much food at Thanksgiving that I go light on appetizers -- I buy a variety of pickles and marinated vegetables (artichoke hearts, mushrooms) and some fresh veggies (carrot sticks, etc) and put out crudites to nibble on while sipping drinks and waiting for the main event. I either buy pies or assign them to a guest (who can buy or make, at their discretion) and have a good vanilla ice cream, whipped cream (I cheat here), and cheddar cheese on hand to accompany the pies.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #32
Head Chef
GREAT idea, Claire! I bet Joanne's in-laws would love to bring some of their own traditional family favorites to the party. And would be honored that she asked them to share their dishes with the rest of her crowd.

Goodweed, what is "sea-breeze" salad?

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #33
Hospitality Queen
Originally Posted by meltingpotmama
...My in laws do not speak English. Not one bit. And my Spanish is limited to cussing and everyday words, not conversing...

That's hysterical!

Here's another idea: the day before thanksgiving, cut up lots of carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, etc, put them in a ziploc, and put a can of black olives in the fridge to chill. Next day, when the company arrives, take out the veggies and arrange them on a platter. Put it in front of your inlaws, and maybe you can have the kitchen to yourself.

Another OCD thing I do - 2 days before Thanksgiving, I put the leaves into the tables, and put on the tablecloths. Then, I put all the serving dishes that will be used. In each one, I put a piece of paper with the item it will contain written on it. Then I arrange the platters to make sure they'll fit. This way, if you need to bring in another piece of furniture to use as a buffet next to the table, you'll know in advance.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #34
Master Chef
Originally Posted by QSis
GREAT idea, Claire! I bet Joanne's in-laws would love to bring some of their own traditional family favorites to the party. And would be honored that she asked them to share their dishes with the rest of her crowd.

Goodweed, what is "sea-breeze" salad?

We have 2 versions of this classic. It is so named for it's green, ocean foam look, and it's refreshing flavor. It has no seefood in it.

1 pkg. lime gelatin
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup chpped walnuts
1 12oz. can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream

Make gelatin according to package directions. Blend together the cottage cheese and juice from the canned pineapple until smooth. Pour into a bowl and mix in the pineapple.

When the gelatine is partially set, fold in the cottage cheese mixture, nuts, and finally the whipped cream. Pur into a circualr mold and refrigerate until complety set. Unmold at the table.

Version 2 omits the whipped cream, and adds the cottage cheese and other ingredients to the partially set lime gelatin without the blending process. This is thenserved as a jello salad in a large bowl.

Both versions are yummy.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When the

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote