"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Thanksgiving is at my house this year, HELP!

I'd like to see if anyone here has some good ideas on dishes to prepare for my first Thanksgiving for my family (and in laws!!!)? I need some recipes, some ideas and a little cheering section of my own, because I think my husband thinks I have it covered, but I'm really a nervous wreck and it's only Sept. So I'd like to be prepared and test drive some of the recipes. I know were having turkey and ham, so the sides, appetizers, breads and desserts is really what I need help with. Nothing really is out of the question and doesn't have to be a knuckles down traditional Thanksgiving. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

JoAnn

Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Here are 2 of our favorites.

Corn Pie

Make this with fresh, frozen or canned corn.
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 T all-purpose flour
2 cups corn
4 T (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 cup milk
dash of pepper
dash of nutmeg
1/2 t salt
Beat eggs & sugar together. Add flour, corn, butter, milk and seasonings. Pour into casserole dish and cover. Bake 45 minutes in preheated 400-degree oven.

Butternut Cream Pie

1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup hot water
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 T carmel ice cream topping
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 pkg (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup plus 2 T milk
1 pie shell (9 inch) baked
Whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut

Cut squash in half, discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in microwave-safe dish, add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1 -1 1/2 cups squash (save remaining squah for another use)

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in squash until blended. Add the sugar, carmel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves; beat until blended. Add pudding mix and milk; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Spoon into pie shell. Refigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
6-8 servings

Old 09-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Here a couple threads on the subject for more ideas.

Vegetable sides for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving sides
Old 09-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Head Chef

Here is a favorite of ours from a 1999 issue of Taste of Home:

Butternut Squash Bake

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups)

c. mayonaise (do not use light or fat-free mayonaise)

c. finely chopped onion

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 tsp. sugar

Salt and pepper to taste

1/4 c. crushed saltines (about 8 crackers)

2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan cheese

1 Tbsp. Butter or margarine, melted

Place squash in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until very tender. (I have done this in the microwave using less water and less time. About 10-15 minutes on high) Drain well and place in a large bowl; mash squash. In another bowl, combine the mayonaise, onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper; add to the squash and mix well. Put the mixture into a greased 1 qt. baking dish. Mix the cracker crumbs, cheese and butter together and sprinkle over the top of the dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and the top is golden brown. 6 servings
Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If you've never roasted a turkey before, I recommend you do a test run before the big day. Here is a tried and true recipe that has gotten very good reviews:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

Even if you don't use this recipe, I recommend a test run if this is your first time.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

If this is your first Thanksgiving meal I would try to make those dishes that each family thinks of as a traditional Thanksgiving feast.

You don't want Aunt Grace broadcasting to all that you did not make the traditional sweet potato casserole.

If you want to add some dishes of your own, do so by all means.

And if someone offers to bring a dish I would gladly thank them and accept the offer.

But the most important thing is to relax. Keep your sense of humor and let anything that goes wrong, as something will inevitably do, just roll off your shoulders.

'Does anyone want the burnt broccoli?' will work better than an apology.

Keep your cool, do as much as you can in advance, take all the help offered, and you will do fine. God Bless.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I am sure you will get many responses. Here's a tip for ya, (this happened to me with my first thanksgiving)...don't forget to take the bag out of the carcas and neck! Like Dove said, try to relax and keep your sense of humor, afterall, we all mess something up on Thanksgiving :)
Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Here's a dessert that has taken place of the regular punpkin pie at our Thanksgiving dinner for the past few years. Pumpkin Crunch Cake

I'm sure you'll do a great job! Year before last I did Thanksgiving dinner for 8 people. That was the first time I had ever even cooked a turkey. Last year I did it for my in-laws & my parents. Hubby & I smoked 2 turkeys. I think we wound up with about 20 people & I was a nervous wreck! It was the first time I had ever cooked for that many people on my on. Just remember to breath & do as much as you can ahead of time.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

IMO, the best best best Thanksgiving side dish is one that another member, Konditor, shared with us last year.
The first time I made them I couldn't believe how amazingly delicious they were, and the presentation is so beautiful.
(PS - I use navel oranges for this recipe) I've also used both yams and sweet potatoes. Both are great)

Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups

5 thin-skinned oranges, halved hemispherically
3 lbs sweet potatoes, pared & cut into large chunks
1 cup white granulated sugar
5 ounces uns. butter (plus another ounce for topping)
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 ounces peeled fresh gingerroot, grated

Using grapefruit knife, remove flesh from oranges over a sieve place above a bowl; reserve the juice. Squeeze remaining juice from fruit into the bowl. Measure out cup orange juice; reserve remaining juice for another use.

Cook sweet potatoes in large, covered saucepan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes, or until they're tender when pierced w/ point of knife. Drain. Return sweet pots to saucepan. Heat over med. heat & shake pan about 1 min. Mash the potatoes. Add orange juice, sugar, 5 oz. butter, and seasonings; beat until combined.

Mound sweet potatoe mixture into orange shells; sprinkle the tops evenly w. grated ginger; dot w/ remaining ounce of butter. (The filled orange cups can be made ahead, covered & refrigerated for up to 6 hours.)

Bake the cups at 350 until heated through, about 25 min.

At your turkey dinner, serve these orange cups as an accompaniment along w/ cranberry relish, parsnips, Brussel sprouts, & candied chestnuts.
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

Well, I've never been to a holiday meal where everyone didn't participate by bringing something along to help the hostess out! So I say pick a couple things that you are very comfortable with making (besides the bird) and letting the other family members fill in the gaps.

Z