Thanksgiving Leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I'm thinking ahead, already planning what to make with my leftover turkey. I recently discovered and enjoy Spaghetti Squash and was wondering if I could use that in Turkey Tetrazzini?

Carol, I think that would work.

I love to make quiche with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, Havarti cheese and roasted red peppers. I also make turkey á la king and once I made turkey posole. I liked it, but DH likes pork posole better.

If you don't like spicy foods, just reduce the amount of jalapeño or replace it with a green bell pepper or a poblano pepper: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/turkey-posole-recipe-1944735

We will have the best leftovers anyone could ask for. Grandkids get to have a sleepover because parents work Friday and day care is closed that day.

I'm beginning to have my doubts about turkey leftovers though. I think we are up to 28 people for dinner and another half dozen or so coming later for dessert . Two turkeys are planned and double everything else. In addition to the dining room we have tables we will set up in the living room and den. Not using the downstairs family room as it always seems chilly down there.

Are we the only ones with a large gathering on DC? How does it work out with your group?

Are we the only ones with a large gathering on DC? How does it work out with your group?

My sisters are put out that we are not coming for T-Day, but Shrek would not be able to make the trip, the chemo and radiation are catching up to him and to top it off he has a bladder infection. Mom, Dad, Shrek and I are going out to Perkin's for our dinner. No worries about cooking and doing the dishes.

Our assemblies have gotten smaller with everyone moving away and kids growing up.

Leftover Turkey and all fixin's... hmmm :santa:

not sure what I'll do with our 12 pound birdie for two,
but everything so far sounds right up our alley!

The one thing I know I'll do with the carcass
is Jook or Congee
this is a big deal in Hawaii the day after Thanksgiving;
then you'll see it in small Mom&Pop joints all through
the "Winter" months to warm and comfort local folks.
I'm really looking forward to that more than the main event,
I haven't made it in a really long time...
DH doesn't care for it, but Mom is going to be with us
through the month of December and she LOVES IT! (so do I!)

Last edited:
Besides sandwiches, the only thing Karen and I have thought about is a soup we really like using smoked turkey.

The past year or two I've made a "shepherd's pie" with turkey and veggies in gravy and topped with stuffing.

That sounds really good. Hmm, instead of "Shepard's" pie, what do you call a person who cares for turkeys? Can you herd turkeys?

My sisters are put out that we are not coming for T-Day, but Shrek would not be able to make the trip, the chemo and radiation are catching up to him and to top it off he has a bladder infection. Mom, Dad, Shrek and I are going out to Perkin's for our dinner. No worries about cooking and doing the dishes.

Our assemblies have gotten smaller with everyone moving away and kids growing up.

My best wishes to Shrek and to you... :)

I really miss family holiday gatherings.. I've planned to do a small TG dinner for Jeannie and myself but, with all the stuff going on for our move in December, we just may pop into one of our local restaurants. The major downside to that is, no leftovers to enjoy.. :(

Ross

Ok, I looked it up. No one herds turkeys, but a group of turkeys is called a rafter, so Rafter Pie.

Yeah, yeah, we can just call that a pot pie, but something tells me that pot pie will take on a new meaning in the immediate years to come.

Last edited:
That sounds really good. Hmm, instead of "Shepard's" pie, what do you call a person who cares for turkeys? Can you herd turkeys?

A turkey Farmer? I suppose you can herd a rafter of turkeys (maybe with a Border Collie or two) but since they are usually penned, there is no need.

Turkey Gumbo is an idea....probably on the bottom of my gumbo list however.

I take home the turkey carcass and some meat every year to make turkey and sausage gumbo. I particularly go for the dark meat. Good stuff!

CD

Well, I'm going to try to follow a Turkey Tetrazinni recipe and just substitute the spaghetti squash for the pasta. I'll post how it turns out and if anyone beside me eats it. LOL

Well, I'm going to try to follow a Turkey Tetrazinni recipe and just substitute the spaghetti squash for the pasta. I'll post how it turns out and if anyone beside me eats it. LOL

I love that spaghetti squash, in fact I have two containers full
in the deep freeze.
I'd love to see what you come up with Carol and please be sure to post the recipe that you use as well.

I had posted this on another thread, in response to a K-Girl post...

Leftovers.... A big regret of our going to a restaurant is, no leftovers.. :(

Ross

I just saw a pretty interesting recipe on one of Giada DeLaurentis' shows. She made pulled turkey sliders (most of the meat was chopped, not pulled) with cranberry bbq sauce made from leftover cranberry sauce.

Back
Top Bottom