Thanksgiving - Perfect dessert ideas, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Does anyone have a great dessert plan for Thanksgiving? Most years I've delegated dessert to guests who want to be helpful but after too many store bought, gummy pies, I'm taking it back!

Now it's planning time. What are your favorite Thanksgiving desserts?

Baked apples with custard cream,cheese fritters,melon balls with straberries in sweet marsala wine, Jam tart with pastry made wit chilled white wine, A friend love this but I've never made it even tho she gave me the recipe for it Almond cakezabaglione-mascarpone raspberry trifle, these are a few I have will be glad to post a recipe if you're interested.
kades

Pumpkin tart with gingersnap cookie crust (doctored up from Claire Robinson's 5 Ingredient Fix), Swiss apple pie (no crust recipe).

Last edited:
I made a pumpkin bread pudding for my blog recently that was pretty awesome! It was inspired by Bobby Flay's recipe from last year.

I usually end up making the stand-by pumpkin pie, I have two people that adore it. Also a pecan pie. I used to make two coconut cream pies for my best friend when she lived local.

Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Gingersnap Crust. Cranberry Cheesecake with a Nilla wafer crust. Or even a mint cheesecake with an Oreo crust... I think I need to make a cheesecake...

I hate pumpkin - I prefer apple pie, deep dish apple crisp with vanilla ice cream, cranberry swirl coffee cake, orange butter cake, tarte tatin, strawberry charlotte russe, raspberry or strawberry cream pie, dark chocolate mousse...
(not all at the same time).:LOL:

Last edited:
I hate pumpkin - I prefer apple pie, deep dish apple crisp with vanilla ice cream, cranberry swirl coffee cake, orange butter cake, tarte tatin, strawberry charlotte russe, raspberry or strawberry cream pie, dark chocolate mousse...
(not all at the same time).:LOL:

YUM! :yum:

I loathe pumpkin so if anyone wants it, they get designated to bring it! I'm an apple fan too. I make a deep dish caramel apple pie and usually a chocolate dessert. My ganache tart with fruit coulis is a huge hit and super easy and fast to make. I think I posted it somewhere. I'll find it if you like.

I'm traditional when it comes to Thanksgiving desserts. I'm making a pecan pie. I usually also make a pumpkin pie but this year, SO is making a pumpkin roll so guests who don't like pie can enjoy dessert too. I'm thinking I'll make a lemon meringue pie. SIL always hints that he loves them and I have been holding him off with lemon bars, cakes and cookies. I'll also make vanilla ice cream to go with the pie and because our grandson won't eat those other things.

If I had more people to feed, I'd also make an apple pie.

I wanted to make pumpkin creme brûlée but my husband hates pumpkin! Maybe I'll make it anyway....

Snip 13 said:
I've never had pumpkin trifle. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure. I would love. Very simple actually.

Pumpkin gingerbread trifle

2 packages (14 1/2 oz) gingerbread mix
1 package (5.1oz) cook and serve vanilla pudding
Milk for pudding
1 can (29 oz) pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1(12oz) carton cool whip

1. Make gingerbread in two 8" round pans.
Let cool
2. Prepare pudding and let cool.
3. Mix pudding with pumpkin, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
4. Crumble 1/2 cake into bottom of trifle bowl (push it down).
5. Add a layer of pudding and a layer of cool whip.
6. Continue to layer crumbs, pudding, and cool whip 3 more times.

Enjoy! It is a favorite here.

I loathe pumpkin so if anyone wants it, they get designated to bring it! I'm an apple fan too. I make a deep dish caramel apple pie and usually a chocolate dessert. My ganache tart with fruit coulis is a huge hit and super easy and fast to make. I think I posted it somewhere. I'll find it if you like.

Shrek is demanding the recipe for the DD Caramel Apple Pie...He likes pumpkin, but he's doesn't LURV it!:)

I know this might sound daft - but for Thanksgiving last year I made a 'Cheeseless Chocolate Cheesecake' - that is, a squash pie with chocolate added in. I thought it was Yummy. The Americans at the table just thought it was weird.

Shrek is demanding the recipe for the DD Caramel Apple Pie...He likes pumpkin, but he's doesn't LURV it!:)

Pie crust
3 cups ap flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
Lard
1/8 cup ice water

Combine the flour, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add about a lb. of lard to the mixture and cut it in. You will want to see pea-sized granuals of dough. If there isn't enough fat, the dough will be clumpy. If there is too little fat, the dough will have loose flour hanging around that won't mix in. Adjust accordingly.

When you have the pea-gravel texture, drizzle the water all over the dough. Fold it together, taking care not to knead the dough. Divide the dough into 2 equal balls. Dust the work surface liberally with flour. Place a dough ball onto the surface and press into a disk. Sprinkle four on top of the disk and roll into a thin disk. Roll from the center to the outside in every direction. Cut into a smooth circle that is 2 inches wider than the pie plate.

Slide an icing knife under the rolled crust to loosen from the work surface. Fold the dough in half, and in half again to form a triangle. Place the point into the center of the pie pan and unfold. Press in to fill the pie pan evenly. Brush with egg wash and bake at 375' F. for five minutes.

Roll out the second dough ball as you did the first one.

Filling:
1 caramel apple wrap
1 pkg. caramel bits
8 to 10 Jonathon, Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Macintosh apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup sugar
2 tbs. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup AP flour

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl Add the apple slices and caramel bits. Mix with your hands to evenly coat the apple.

Place the caramel wrap on the bottom of the crust. Fill with the apple pie filling. Fold the second rolled crust as you did the bottom crust. Again, place the point of the folded crust in the middle and unfold. Tuck the excess dough between the bottom crust and the pie plate. Fute the edges. Cut three vent holes in the top. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with granulated sugar and scant cinnamon.

Bake at 350' until the crust is golden (between 50 minutes and an hour). Remove from the oven and let cool.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm all about an assortment of pies for Thanksgiving and I try to keep it within the harvest bounty (seasonal)...pumpkin, pecan, apple...and I might throw in a berry pie. You can get creative with those and do a chocolate pecan, a walnut apple, pumpkin cheesecake or brandy pumpkin pie (I just made that up but sounds like it might be good). I opt for traditional though.

I have found that while eating that wonderful big dinner, folks forget to save room for dessert. So after a nap or loosening a few belts while watching football, the first food everyone heads for is pie. They can take the dish and fork back into the living room and eat a piece of pie. The dish is easy to balance on the lap.

I am a traditionalist. Apple, pumpkin, custard, blueberry. Ice cream for the kiddies. And a dollop or two for the big kids. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom