Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have a warm spot in my heart for Kayelle's dressing, when we were first seeing each other, we would meet for lunch. After Thanksgiving that year, when we met she opened her trunk and gave me a tupperware of her famous dressing. I then put it in my trunk, but on reflection, it looked like a drug deal. LOL
The next time we met, I asked her if she had any more, and she said not until next Thanksgiving. By next Thanksgiving, we were married, and I got to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving with her family (and her dressing)

i have a warm spot in my heart for Kayelle's dressing, when we were first seeing each other, we would meet for lunch. After Thanksgiving that year, when we met she opened her trunk and gave me a tupperware of her famous dressing. I then put it in my trunk, but on reflection, it looked like a drug deal. LOL
The next time we met, I asked her if she had any more, and she said not until next Thanksgiving. By next Thanksgiving, we were married, and I got to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving with her family (and her dressing)

That's a nice story, Souschef. :wub:

Agree with Cheryl, what a nice story... something definitely to be thankful for this Thanksgiving... (thankful for Kayelle's dressing?) :angel:
Kayelle, you should share with the crowd your dressing recipe in another post!

Well, that's one of the best ways you continue to get the best dressing ever!:LOL:

My side work is done, the dishes are done and I'm going back to bed!

I was thinking this morning of the silly rituals that I've accumulated over the years.

Like putting out a fresh dish washing sponge/scrubber for every major holiday or putting a holiday themed window cling on the door of the microwave! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

As a matter of semantics: dressing is cooked on the side outside of the protein. Stuffing is cooked inside the protein. Dressing tends to be drier than stuffing. FWIW, my favorite stuffing is made with dried seasoned homemade bread, natural wild rice (not the cultivated kind), turkey stock, mushrooms, celery, onion, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, apples, butter and seasoning. There is always too much for the bird, then it becomes a side of dressing, but my favorite still is stuffing the way my grandma and mother made it--with wild rice and in the bird, under the skin on the breast. The dressing tends to be too dry--it doesn't have that stuffing texture. Enjoy your American Thanksgiving, folks. We already celebrated here in October. Downside is that the Christmas stock/decorations show up November 1st, the same time the Halloween candy and decorations get marked down. I'm already tired of the Christmas specials on TV and the Christmas carols on the radio.

So far the best turkey that I've made.

I've also made the Pioneer Woman's brine and it's very good, but Alton's is the best!
Probably too late to mention this for those who are brining their turkeys--you should always use whole spices, not ground (this advice from an Executive Chef the first time I decided to brine a turkey). I was thinking the next turkey I make is going to sit in buttermilk for 24 hours. I've made chicken that way and it was so moist and juicy, not to mention the gravy was fantastic. Has anyone ever marinated turkey in a gallon of buttermilk overnight?

Good to know. Let us know how it goes with the stuffing muffins. I'm going to make some later on when I practice brining a turkey for next year. Since they don't all fit in the bird, this is a fun alternative to a regular baking dish.

GG, they were very popular, even with the free-range, gluten-free crowd! BIL and I had an ongoing war at his house about opening the oven as he had his vegetable medley in on the bottom oven and my stuffing muffins just needed a few more minutes and I didn't want them to burn.

In the end, I put them in the CP to keep them warm until arriving at our destination, and they looked really cute. Tasty too. Could have used gravy though. (See my previous rants.)

Last edited:
I'm done with 2014 Thanksgiving planning except for making a stock from the carcass for future use.

GG..
In the end, I put them in the CP to keep them warm until arriving at our destination, and they looked really cute. Tasty too. Could have used gravy though. (See my previous rants.)

Cool, it's great to know it worked well :) I'm bummed for you about the gravy. I love good gravy, too, and would be really disappointed not to have any on Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom