"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I used to bring that back from Maine when I remembered. That is an ingredient that just about everyone has in their spice cabinet up there, heck it wasn't until I moved away from Maine that I realized there was another poultry seasoning out there.

I can get it here now, it's $2.99 a box and for me well worth it. Thanksgiving doesn't taste the same without it for me.
For those of us who don't live where Bell's is available, here's a link to a copycat recipe for blending your own. I think the ginger is probably what makes it different from other poultry seasoning:

Bell's Poultry Seasoning copy cat recipe - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Old 11-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #112
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've been doing this for years. Always a moist and delicious result.

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

+1 this is perfect every time. Covering the breast meat here is key to the outcome - watch the video ;)

Old 11-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #113
Executive Chef

I am using PF bread cubes this year for our stuffing/dressing.
They are lightly seasoned so they are perfect for adding other ingredients.
I saute onion, celery, garlic, fresh chopped sage S&P in a stick of butter and make the stuffing using the liquid recommendation on the bag of bread cubes.
I also add 1 lb of sausage crumbled up.

I wonder how some Pecorrino or Parm Reg would taste added to these ingredients or sprinkled over the top. I was thinking about this last night, but was not sure the cheese would marry well with these traditional ingredients?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #114
Certified Pretend Chef

The stuffing bread has been cubed and is toasting in the oven as we speak. The pie crust dough is chilling in the fridge for the apple pie.

When the pie goes into the oven, I'll dice the veggies for the stuffing and make he brine for the turkey.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I am using PF bread cubes this year for our stuffing/dressing.
They are lightly seasoned so they are perfect for adding other ingredients.
I saute onion, celery, garlic, fresh chopped sage S&P in a stick of butter and make the stuffing using the liquid recommendation on the bag of bread cubes.
I also add 1 lb of sausage crumbled up.

I wonder how some Pecorrino or Parm Reg would taste added to these ingredients or sprinkled over the top. I was thinking about this last night, but was not sure the cheese would marry well with these traditional ingredients?
It's your house, but I wouldn't add it in. Try sprinkling it on when serving, but imo, with the rest of the rich ingredients on the traditional Thanksgiving table, it's unnecessary.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

I agree, GG. But I love dressing and am a purist about it, couldn't imagine it with cheese.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I agree, GG. But I love dressing and am a purist about it, couldn't imagine it with cheese.
Same here. Trying not to crush RB's creativity

j/k, RB
Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #118
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Maybe cheese and crackers as appetizers. But save some room for the dinner. Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, I think my family is the only one (including my mother) that didn't have pasta of some sort. Lasagna, pasta and meatballs, etc. Then came the big bird. Being Native American and English I would be afraid to stray too far away from my roots. I don't believe there were any Italians at the first Thanksgiving dinner.

I never basted the turkey. It seemed that there was always someone in the kitchen with me and in the way. Sometimes you can have too much help.

I stopped doing a turkey after about five years. The kids and myself only liked the dark meat. The rest of the turkey ended up in the pot for turkey noodle soup. And to this day, I still only like the dark meat on turkey and chicken. Plenty of dressing for inside and in a large casserole bowl. The favorite part of the meal for the whole family. And plenty of gravy.

Fortunately, my daughter's kids like the white meat. For sandwiches the next day. And over the years my daughter has learned to like it. I am still not a fan. Oh, BTW, thinking of going out and shooting a wild turkey? Save your bullet. The meat is mostly dark, and very stringy. Don't even ask how I know.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Now I'm debating whether to pack my rarely-used muffin tin in order to bake up stuffing muffins for the feed tomorrow. I've been making it ahead of time and then warming it in the crockpot, but the stuffing muffins intrigue me. Anyone else tried this?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #120
Master Chef

Quote:
Now I'm debating whether to pack my rarely-used muffin tin in order to bake up stuffing muffins for the feed tomorrow. I've been making it ahead of time and then warming it in the crockpot, but the stuffing muffins intrigue me. Anyone else tried this?
How about making ice cream scoop stuffing on a baking sheet, it might be easier.

Tags
thanksgiving