"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now I'm debating whether to pack my rarely-used muffin tin in order to bake up stuffing muffins for the feed tomorrow. I've been making it ahead of time and then warming it in the crockpot, but the stuffing muffins intrigue me. Anyone else tried this?
What are 'stuffing muffins'?

Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What are 'stuffing muffins'?
Muffins made of stuffing!

I haven't made them yet, but I'm intrigued.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #123
Head Chef

I just saw a Walmart commercial where a cooking tip is to roast the turkey upside down for the first hour, then flip it back over. I never heard of that one before.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #124
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I just saw a Walmart commercial where a cooking tip is to roast the turkey upside down for the first hour, then flip it back over. I never heard of that one before.
I've been hearing that a lot this year. The idea is that juices move down to the breast while it's down and then turn it breast-side up to crisp the skin. I don't know if it works.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

Quote:

Curtis Stone said don't bother, he just tents the breast with foil. Turning can rip the bird up.

Well, I'm going to take my silicone muffin pan. Am thinking the CP can still keep the stuffing muffins warm, and they really do look cute! (BTW, great pic, GG!)
Old 11-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #126
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've been hearing that a lot this year. The idea is that juices move down to the breast while it's down and then turn it breast-side up to crisp the skin. I don't know if it works.
My Mother used to do it in the days before they injected turkeys with all sorts of things. It could be a pretty scary project to flip a large stuffed bird and some years the bird got banged up in the process. Now days I just rub the bird down with oil and toss it in the oven.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Curtis Stone said don't bother, he just tents the breast with foil. Turning can rip the bird up.

Well, I'm going to take my silicone muffin pan. Am thinking the CP can still keep the stuffing muffins warm, and they really do look cute! (BTW, great pic, GG!)
Good to know. Let us know how it goes with the stuffing muffins. I'm going to make some later on when I practice brining a turkey for next year. Since they don't all fit in the bird, this is a fun alternative to a regular baking dish.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #128
Master Chef

I think the stuffing muffin idea might also be a good way to freeze leftover stuffing and turkey chunks, sort of like a croquette.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yum! I make and freeze a casserole layered with turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, maybe corn casserole, and mashed potatoes. It's a wonderful surprise in July!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #130
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Upside down does not result in jucier breast meat.

When meat is heated it contracts, squeezing juices out. Any juices from the bottom of the bird will run down over and around the breast meat and into the pan.

Brining and not overcooking results in juicy breast meat.

Don't look to a discount department store for your cooking tips.

Tags
thanksgiving