"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #141
Senior Cook

i have a warm spot in my heart for Kayelle's dressing, when we were first seeing each other, we would meet for lunch. After Thanksgiving that year, when we met she opened her trunk and gave me a tupperware of her famous dressing. I then put it in my trunk, but on reflection, it looked like a drug deal. LOL
The next time we met, I asked her if she had any more, and she said not until next Thanksgiving. By next Thanksgiving, we were married, and I got to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving with her family (and her dressing)

Old 11-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #142
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've been doing this for years. Always a moist and delicious result.

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
So far the best turkey that I've made.

I've also made the Pioneer Woman's brine and it's very good, but Alton's is the best!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #143
Master Chef

Well, I am still at work. Hope to season turkey today. Was too tired last night and forgot.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #144
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
i have a warm spot in my heart for Kayelle's dressing, when we were first seeing each other, we would meet for lunch. After Thanksgiving that year, when we met she opened her trunk and gave me a tupperware of her famous dressing. I then put it in my trunk, but on reflection, it looked like a drug deal. LOL
The next time we met, I asked her if she had any more, and she said not until next Thanksgiving. By next Thanksgiving, we were married, and I got to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving with her family (and her dressing)
That's a nice story, Souschef.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #145
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Agree with Cheryl, what a nice story... something definitely to be thankful for this Thanksgiving... (thankful for Kayelle's dressing?)
Kayelle, you should share with the crowd your dressing recipe in another post!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #146
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Well, that's one of the best ways you continue to get the best dressing ever!
Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #147
Master Chef

My side work is done, the dishes are done and I'm going back to bed!

I was thinking this morning of the silly rituals that I've accumulated over the years.

Like putting out a fresh dish washing sponge/scrubber for every major holiday or putting a holiday themed window cling on the door of the microwave!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire

As a matter of semantics: dressing is cooked on the side outside of the protein. Stuffing is cooked inside the protein. Dressing tends to be drier than stuffing. FWIW, my favorite stuffing is made with dried seasoned homemade bread, natural wild rice (not the cultivated kind), turkey stock, mushrooms, celery, onion, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, apples, butter and seasoning. There is always too much for the bird, then it becomes a side of dressing, but my favorite still is stuffing the way my grandma and mother made it--with wild rice and in the bird, under the skin on the breast. The dressing tends to be too dry--it doesn't have that stuffing texture. Enjoy your American Thanksgiving, folks. We already celebrated here in October. Downside is that the Christmas stock/decorations show up November 1st, the same time the Halloween candy and decorations get marked down. I'm already tired of the Christmas specials on TV and the Christmas carols on the radio.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #149
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
So far the best turkey that I've made.

I've also made the Pioneer Woman's brine and it's very good, but Alton's is the best!
Probably too late to mention this for those who are brining their turkeys--you should always use whole spices, not ground (this advice from an Executive Chef the first time I decided to brine a turkey). I was thinking the next turkey I make is going to sit in buttermilk for 24 hours. I've made chicken that way and it was so moist and juicy, not to mention the gravy was fantastic. Has anyone ever marinated turkey in a gallon of buttermilk overnight?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #150
Assistant Cook

Everyone's menus sound so good!

Tags
thanksgiving