Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I'm debating whether to pack my rarely-used muffin tin in order to bake up stuffing muffins for the feed tomorrow. I've been making it ahead of time and then warming it in the crockpot, but the stuffing muffins intrigue me. Anyone else tried this?

What are 'stuffing muffins'? :angel:

What are 'stuffing muffins'? :angel:

Muffins made of stuffing! :)

StuffingMuffins_MCU.jpg

I haven't made them yet, but I'm intrigued.

I just saw a Walmart commercial where a cooking tip is to roast the turkey upside down for the first hour, then flip it back over. I never heard of that one before.

I just saw a Walmart commercial where a cooking tip is to roast the turkey upside down for the first hour, then flip it back over. I never heard of that one before.

I've been hearing that a lot this year. The idea is that juices move down to the breast while it's down and then turn it breast-side up to crisp the skin. I don't know if it works.

Curtis Stone said don't bother, he just tents the breast with foil. Turning can rip the bird up.

Well, I'm going to take my silicone muffin pan. Am thinking the CP can still keep the stuffing muffins warm, and they really do look cute! (BTW, great pic, GG!)

Last edited:
I've been hearing that a lot this year. The idea is that juices move down to the breast while it's down and then turn it breast-side up to crisp the skin. I don't know if it works.

My Mother used to do it in the days before they injected turkeys with all sorts of things. It could be a pretty scary project to flip a large stuffed bird and some years the bird got banged up in the process. Now days I just rub the bird down with oil and toss it in the oven.

Curtis Stone said don't bother, he just tents the breast with foil. Turning can rip the bird up.

Well, I'm going to take my silicone muffin pan. Am thinking the CP can still keep the stuffing muffins warm, and they really do look cute! (BTW, great pic, GG!)

Good to know. Let us know how it goes with the stuffing muffins. I'm going to make some later on when I practice brining a turkey for next year. Since they don't all fit in the bird, this is a fun alternative to a regular baking dish.

I think the stuffing muffin idea might also be a good way to freeze leftover stuffing and turkey chunks, sort of like a croquette.

Yum! I make and freeze a casserole layered with turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, maybe corn casserole, and mashed potatoes. It's a wonderful surprise in July!

Upside down does not result in jucier breast meat.

When meat is heated it contracts, squeezing juices out. Any juices from the bottom of the bird will run down over and around the breast meat and into the pan.

Brining and not overcooking results in juicy breast meat.

Don't look to a discount department store for your cooking tips.

The details are in. At least 25 of us from the retirement community will gather at the community house for dinner. My sister is cooking the turkey, I'm making the mashed potatoes, others are bringing un-named desserts, baked squash, greek salad, cranberry relish, veggies, bean soup, millet pilaf, stuffed mushrooms.

What, no bread or green bean casserole:huh:?

The details are in. At least 25 of us from the retirement community will gather at the community house for dinner. My sister is cooking the turkey, I'm making the mashed potatoes, others are bringing un-named desserts, baked squash, greek salad, cranberry relish, veggies, bean soup, millet pilaf, stuffed mushrooms.

What, no bread or green bean casserole:huh:?

A couple of years ago I was roundly chastised by my daughters for not including rolls as part of dinner. So now I'll make Salt and Pepper's skillet rolls for dinner.

My eldest loves GBC but she's alone in that so she can bring it if she wants it.

Thanks all, for sharing your oven roasted turkey methods. :yum:

Andy, I really want to try Alton's brining recipe. I saw that show several years ago. I think I'll do that next year - I'll need to pick up an ice chest at a big box store - don't have room in my fridge for a bucket like he uses. It sounds really good.

I think this year I'll forego the oven roasting bag, and just butter it, season and roast it naked. Not me, the bird. LOL

I'm fixin' to get in the kitchen and start the sides that I'll be bringing to my daughter's house tomorrow. I'm doing a whole turkey dinner here at my house on Friday for my brother, he isn't able to go to my daughter's tomorrow so we'll have a nice dinner, just the two of us. I'll send a bunch of leftovers home with him and have enough for me, too. I love turkey sandwiches, and the casserole with everything combined, that Dawg mentioned. :yum: So many possibilities....:)

Typically, when oven roasting, I bring the uncooked bird up to room temperature, place it onto the cooking rack, and rub butter all over it. I season simply with just salt (DW doesn't like pepper, heavy sigh). I'll have made broth from the neck, and giblets, and inject a fair amount into the bird, and use some of it while putting together the stuffing.
Sometimes I stuff the bird, sometimes not. When I do, I loosely pack stuffing into the main cavity, and under the neck skin in the front cavity. Then, I use the little metal skewers to hold the neck skin onto the back. I place the turkey into a pre-heated, 425 degree oven, after inserting a probe style meat thermometer in the bird that has been set to go off at 160' F. I close the door and let it cook until the thermometer tells me that the bird is the right temperature. Take the turkey out of the oven, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

I remove the stuffing from the cavity, and cut the skin from in front of the neck stuffing. I place all of the stuffing into a bowl, and usually share the neck skin with one of my kids. I then remove the whole breasts and slice against the meat grain. I arrange this onto a serving platter. Remove the legs and divide into drumsticks and thighs. I slice the meat from the thighs. The drumsticks and thigh meat are arranged on the platter as well. Finally, the meat from the back is cut from the carcass and placed in front of the breast meat on the platter.

The platter is placed onto the table along with all of the sides. Time to bless the food, give thanks, then dig in.

What better time is there in life than sitting with those you love, and sharing a great meal, all while feeling thankful for what you have. Everyone is enjoying the time, and life becomes very good, for a short time. It's always good, but during the holidays, it's very good, almost better than fishing, well, all right, it's definitely better than fishing. Wait, did I say that?:ohmy:

Why do I not baste the bird? It's covered in skin. Skin is that organ that keeps things outside of your insides, well, outside. It protects us, and the bird from things that are trying to get in. Basting juices simply roll off, and into the bottom of the pan, where they came from. And referring to what was already stated, opening the oven door releases heat from the oven, making the turkey take longer to cook.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Meant to comment on this earlier....thank you, Chief. You are so right about the part I bolded above. :):wub:

I'm elbow deep in dressing right now. I make my Mrs. Cubbisons cornbread dressing about like yours Cheryl, but I put in browned sage sausage (Jimmy Dean), plumped dried cranberries with golden raisins, and toasted chopped pecans. I'm taking it to my son's feast for eight tomorrow, but I made so much I need something humongous to mix it in.
Steve just got back from KMart where he bought a 10 quart plastic storage container, and it will work perfectly for the mixing. :LOL:
This is definitely the dressing that "grew". Steve adores my dressing, so he's a happy camper to have some saved for our freezer. :yum:

Kay, I just finished my dressing, too - had to use the biggest casserole dish I have. :ermm::LOL:

I have craisins and slivered almonds in the fridge and let me tell you, I was sooo tempted to use them. :yum: I should have set some dressing aside for me and went ahead and added them. As it is now though, I'm losing fridge space by the second. :LOL:

btw Dawg....those stuffing muffins intrigue me, too! Especially if you like those little toasty bits with the moister stuffing inside. Yum.

Taking a wine break and then on to the mashed potatoes and gravy....

Last edited:
I mixed mine in a huge bowl, but used the covered casserole dish to put it in, transport it, and reheat in the oven when I get there! :LOL:

This 10 gallon storage container worked out perfectly, and we'll save it and use it again next year! I'll take it to the party in my 6 quart Nescco roaster, and the rest is ours!!

img_1399846_0_914ad0004abb8134aff5629bf8acd3e0.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom