Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This year will be a very different Thanksgiving.
My sister, whom we rarely see, will be joining
DH and I at my Mother's new home in California.
Mom's new digs are quite small and she has very little
cooking implements so we're ordering a pre-made
meal from Mom's favorite restaurant in town.
I'd like to do all paper products, you know,
those real cute matching table cover, cups,
plates, etc. making clean up easy.
In the past, I would do all of the above, refusing to order
out food, even though I had to work the day before and the day
after Thanksgiving. I would be very tired.

I'd like to do all paper products, you know,
those real cute matching table cover, cups,
plates, etc. making clean up easy.

I think that an ordered dinner can be just great - it's the intent of the meal and the folks assembled that truly make it special.

Here's a paper origami turkey project if you feel the need to up the cute factor ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSp_UKOjP-o

Just wondering...how do you make your stuffing/dressing? I've browsed through so many variations and always come back to my own simple recipe, as it's what my small family likes.

I start simmering the giblets (except the liver) as soon as I can pull them out of the turkey, even if they're still a little frozen. Meanwhile, lots of chopped celery and onions sautéed in butter, mix with Mrs. Cubbisons :LOL:, add some pre-made turkey broth and set aside. When the giblets are done, I chop them finely and add to the dressing, and mix in some of the giblet broth. I put it all into a casserole dish, add bake on high heat so there is a crispy crust on top of the dressing.

How do you do your dressing? Do you stuff or have your dressing separately? :chef:

Just wondering...how do you make your stuffing/dressing? I've browsed through so many variations and always come back to my own simple recipe, as it's what my small family likes.

I start simmering the giblets (except the liver) as soon as I can pull them out of the turkey, even if they're still a little frozen. Meanwhile, lots of chopped celery and onions sautéed in butter, mix with Mrs. Cubbisons :LOL:, add some pre-made turkey broth and set aside. When the giblets are done, I chop them finely and add to the dressing, and mix in some of the giblet broth. I put it all into a casserole dish, add bake on high heat so there is a crispy crust on top of the dressing.

How do you do your dressing? Do you stuff or have your dressing separately? :chef:

I think you've been watching me make mine, right down to the Mrs. Cubbison's.:pig:

I have always been asked to make a separate large bowl of dressing. It seems to be the favorite of all the foods on the table.

Since I don't have any giblets or turkey, I start with almost a whole loaf of bread that I have put in the oven with the light on to dry it out the day before. The next day I make up a quart of chicken broth with parts I have been saving over time. If not enough, then out comes the Better Than Bullion to augment.

I sauté the finely diced onions and celery until soft. Add part of the broth to broken pieces of bread. The mixture is still on the dry side. I add about a half cup of melted butter along with Bell's poultry seasoning, sautéed veggies, and one egg as a binder. My family also loves roasted chestnuts. So I usually buy a pound of them, dice about half and leave the rest for them to pick on. Squish it all together with my hands. I let it sit in the fridge for about two hours to absorb as much of the liquid that it is going to. If it is still too dry, I will add more of the leftover broth. I use any leftover melted butter to grease the baking dish. Last year I made enough to fill my 9x13" baking dish. And still it all went. Short of my deep roasting pan, that is the biggest vessel I have. It will have to be enough. And who is Mrs. Cubbison? :angel:

My mom used this stuff so now I use it so my stuffing will taste like mom's

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 90
I was just wandering through the meat department after picking up my package of fresh ground and found my turkey breast and a hindquarter. I will be able to get my rouladen cut and have turkey to turn into stock and soup meat. Last year (or the year before) I never did find what I wanted and ended up with a large roaster chicken.

My mom used this stuff so now I use it so my stuffing will taste like mom's

Just down the street from me was the old mill with the water wheel outside powered by the Chelsea Creek, where it used to be made. Come June, you could smell all the seasoning being ground on the old stone wheel. The wheel is still on the outside of the building, but the picture of that familiar box on the side of the building, has been painted over. Now a company down of the South Shore makes it for them. :angel:

I'd like to meet Mrs Cubbison also. I usually bake a loaf of herb bread to cube and dry.

Family has always required basic stuffing....just celery, onions cooked in butter, lots of sage, rosemary, thyme, and cubed, dried bread. Moistened with broth made from the neck and giblets (and backs if I find some in the grocery freezer). I like fruit and/or nuts so I stuffed the bird with basic stuffing and made enough to play with a pan of dressing. Now the kid is gluten free so it will be dressing two ways...no stuffing, and she'll come up with a diet-friendly version.

I make mine like the Betty Crocker stuffing recipe, but use poultry seasoning and sage with chicken broth. I don't use any eggs and the stuffing stays together just fine.

I also don't add anything else.

My giblets are cooked up and used to make gravy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom