Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot one ingredients in my post about stuffing recipe; Sage, about 1 and 1/2 tsb. worth added to the dry ingredients in the bowl, before adding the broth.

Well, my contribution to the Sunday pot luck was two, fourteen lb. roasted turkeys, dressing, gravy, and a New York style cheesecake with key lime custard topping. Everyone loved everything. That makes me feel good because I like to make my best for such things. The only issue I have is that some people, who always make sure they are at the head of the line, just after the children (we make sure the kids fill their plates first) take more than there share of the best meat. I didn't get a single piece of breast meat, and I cooked the birds. I always take the lesser meat, you know, the bits and pieces that no one else seems to want, in order to let others get some of the good slices. If there is any of the better meat left after everyone has filled their plates, then I will grab a slice of juicy breast meat. It irks me that others are less considerate. I want everyone to get some really good food. People who take more than their share, in my opinion, are just plain greedy. In my view, we are trying to learn to be selfless in our church. That's what the lessons teach. So why do those few always take the low road? It boggles the mind.

I don't care if I don't get any premium slices because there were lots of folks, and everyone took a reasonable share. I do mind when there is plenty for everyone, but some take more than they should, leaving others with the lesser food.

Ok, most took what they were supposed to, and brought very good food to the pot luck. It was a great time to talk, and share memories, and stories of family and friends. It was a great time over all. Some of our members drive 40 miles, or more, through all kinds of nasty weather, to come to church. We have a very dedicated bunch, who truly are great people. I love going. It recharges my spiritual battery every Sunday. Right now, we have visitors from down-state (lower peninsula), who are here for deer season. They bring new and wonderful stories from their own homes. We love having visitors.

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. DW and I will be sharing Thanksgiving with Sprout, and PAG, and of course, our granddaughters. on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, Sprout and I are trying to come up with a simple meal that my 5 year old grandaughter can make, all by herself, with a little help from Grandpa. I was thinking of a Chef Boyardee pizza kit, but Sprout asked if we could come up with something that tasted better. We're now thinking of making spaghetti. We'll brown the ground beef, but let DG add it to the cold sauce, along with pre-measured herbs and spices. I'll help her put the noodles into the boiling water. I'll of course cook the sauce. But it will be her meal to make, and be proud of. I am so looking forward to the whole little vacation (Wednesday through Sunday of the Thanksgiving weekend). How better to give thanks for what we have than by celebrating it with those we cherish. Also, I have to fix P.A.G's emerald ring that I made for her. She has the stone, but needs part of the cage soldered back together. Good times doing things for and with my kids and grandkids.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I get how you feel. We have this girl at work that will take almost a 1/4 of a 9" cheesecake that I made for herself. We have a couple of people that will load up huge plates at our holiday potlucks, when there are lots of other people who haven't had a chance to eat yet. I just don't get that greedy mentality.

Somewhere during the 14 years since we moved here (about 3X longer than I've ever lived anywhere, usually 2-3 years with on 6 year in there somewhere)(I'm 59) a friend and we started a pact where I invite her (she's a widow) for Thanksgiving, she invites us for Christmas dinner with her son and father who visit for the holiday. My husband sets the table and he likes 6. SO we always cast about among our friends and neighbors to find 3 others w/o plans. This year it will be a part of our usual Friday happy hour group, very convivial. One of them loves to brine a turkey, so she'll come over and we'll get that done in advance. I like that because at that point I can put it in the garage and free up fridge space for a day or two before the Big Day (this year I may have to be careful not to re-freeze the bird!).

When inviting people for Thanksgiving, I simply tell them what I do, no matter what, and ask them to claim appetizer (light, please), sides, or desert. I make a roasted turkey stuffed with a sage stuffing/dressing (I do both, stuff and have a dish on the side), mashed potatoes and gravy. I normally don't do "courses" when having friends over for dinner because it requires me in the kitchen during the meal instead of enjoying company. But on Thanksgiving I make a first course that is a cross between a shrimp cocktail and salad -- thinly sliced cucumbers in a vinegar-y vinaigrette with an herb (usually dill unless autumn has been kind and I have something fresh in the garden) topped with some shrimp. While guests eat that, I make the gravy and carve the bird, husband mashes potatoes.

This is so nice compared to when I lived near family. They insisted on certain dishes being "traditional" and will not do without them. Not that they actually offered to bring them (they have since matured, and when I visit now it is not so one-sided). Then they insisted on the exact same meal for Christmas dinner. Exact. No changes. Once I decided to do a Christmas goose instead of turkey and my mom brought over a turkey to cook and .... there I was with a goose.

I have all but quit drinking because of health issues (and boy, do I miss it) but will probably do an exception to policy and relax and enjoy my wine that day.

Really good sounding dressing recipes here. As others have mentioned, sage has to be included in mine. For me, it just doesn't seem Thanksgiving-y without fresh sage. Like somebunny, I like it on the moist side. I usually add spinach or parsley for some extra color.

My son-in-law does not like celery or onions...in anything. :ermm: He will just have to pick them out, because I'm making the dressing the way the rest of us like it. :)

I had a couple of "I hate..." So I would toss the onions and celery into the small FP and almost liquefy them. It wasn't until they were in their late teens that one day I left out both of them. They asked me what did I do? It tastes funny. Not like I usually make it. That is when I revealed that all these years they had been eating onions and celery and they never knew it. They now all make the stuffing the same way I was making it all those years. And it seems like every year except last year, my daughter would call me and ask me how to make the stuffing. Instead my grandson's girlfriend now calls me. They are making the holiday meals from now on. :angel:

This year we're doing both wet and dry turkeys. My wife will do her wet turkey in the kitchen oven and I'll do a smaller, traditional turkey, spatchcocked, in Weber kettle. Our family is split when it comes to how they like their turkey.

A turkey doesn't fit my budget or refrigerator, but I do have turkey neck's.

My menu is looking like turkey neck meat in turkey stock gravy over brown rice made with turkey stock.

I'll make a green bean casserole to be my veggie.

Easy peasy.

This is my tentative menu plan but things may change.

Appetizers
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée
Roasted Turkey
Stuffing
Yams
Green Bean salad
Brussels sprouts
Sautéed Mushrooms
Mashed potatoes (with butter and Philadelphia cream cheese chive & onion spread)
My Turkey Gravy
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Cranberry sauce

Dessert
Mom's Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Homemade Whipped cream

Beverages
Assorted soda
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Coffee

P.S. I bought a Char-Broil Big Easy TRU-Infrared 3-in-1 Roaster, Smoker and Grill. Going to give it try cooking the turkey.

img_1399100_0_4180ef1e59e62ab6639ee01ff898f333.jpg

Turkey is thawing in the mini fridge, most of the supplies have been purchased. I'll make the stuffing bread today and in the next day or two, make the cranberry pear sauce.

My babies will be with their dad this year. It is also the 1st Thanksgiving with my BF and we are going to his cousin's house. I was there tonight, she does my nails, and we discussed the sign up menu and I will be making yeast rolls, cranberry apple crisp and pumpkin pie...for 25 people. I have never been to a holiday gather with that many people before...

I was going to make my own stuffing to bring with me. But I don't want to hurt my g'son's girlfriend since they are cooking and entertaining in their new home for the first time. I just hope they ask my daughter for her recipe as it is the same as mine. Otherwise I will have to make some when I come home. It is my favorite part of the whole meal. :angel:

I just finished the turkey neck stock. I got 6 containers 2-1/4 cups each.

Using the stock, I'll make brown rice, turkey gravy, and the rest will be used for a pork stew.

Dinner will be dark turkey (neck) meat in turkey gravy over brown rice made with turkey stock. for my vegetable I'll make green bean casserole.

Last edited:
Picked up 2 pre-brined turkeys from TJ's last night. A 13 and an 18 pounder. The 13 pounder is going to roast in the smoker while my wife's 18 pounder is going in the oven for her Spanish style turkey.

I mixed up the bread dressing/stuffing with lots of herbage, and put it in the fridge in a crockpot. I'm hoping it makes it to our destination intact, it's really tasty!

I also thinly sliced a bunch of spicy deer sausage, gifted from a friend. As bourgeoise as it may be, there's something about deer sausage, Ritz crackers, and Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp cheddar. That's my appetizer, and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:
We have a new development at my house... DH has announced that he would LOVE to cook the bird! This should be interesting but I am game... he's been scouring cookbooks, discussing oyster vs cornbread, vs herb (finally settled on that) and I am just a little nervous..... ;)

Funny you should mention that, Janet...my daughter told me yesterday that my son-in-law is starting to show an interest in cooking. :ohmy: He never did before, and she likes his newfound interest, but she's a little nervous he'll want to try something new for Thanksgiving. :LOL:

I think the biggest issue might be getting the giblets out of the orifices. DH left them in the first bird he cooked when we were dating after assuring me that he knew what he was doing.

Back
Top Bottom