Thanksgiving Planning 2014 | Who's in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: I did that about 30 years ago - I thought my turkey didn't come with innards, but I just didn't dig up in there far enough to find them. :ermm: :huh:

Those of you who oven roast your turkey (as opposed to smoking, grilling, deep frying, etc)...how do you oven roast your turkey? Do you baste? Do you use oven roasting bags? Do you schmear with herb butters, or prefer to pat dry and roast? If you don't stuff the cavity with dressing, do you stuff with anything else, like onions, apples, celery, etc...?

I'm just curious. :) My family likes turkey with simple seasonings, so for the past 10 years or so I've just sprinkled with a little s and p, and use a roasting bag. They come out tender, browned and a nice crust. Is basting even necessary? I would think that opening the oven to baste is inefficient.

Someday I may want to buy an extra turkey and roast one off season, just for me - looking for ideas out of the norm, that my family insists upon. :) I like the idea of trying something different, but don't want to experiment on them for the holiday. :)

Last edited:
Cheryl.... I cook my stuffed turkey breast side up in a black enamel roaster, since the turkeys are always too big to fit the lid on I cover will heavy aluminum foil. I smear some butter on the breast skin and the foil mostly to help to keep it from sticking to the foil, which I kind of "tent up". I do sprinkle with salt and pepper and sometimes some herbs like rosemary or sage. Technically this probably isn't roasting because I do not elevate the bird on a rack nor cook it uncovered. I do however uncover for the last 1/2hour or so of cooking to make sure the skin is nicely browned
I find that the black enamel roaster renders more dark fond than a foil or aluminum roaster, it might just be me though.
Nothing wrong with using roasting bags, my sis-Inlaw always does and the turkey is always very moist :)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Neither DH nor I likes cranberry sauce, so last year, I made cherry sauce and it was great! This year, I'm going to make it in advance. Making most stuff the day of is too much for me now.

Here's the recipe, if anyone's interested: Turkey Sauté with Fresh Cherry Sauce Recipe | Epicurious.com

I kinda like cranberry sauce, I feel like it is required for Thanksgiving. My grandma always made her own and even though I am not cooking the whle dinner I bought 2 bags of cranberries...why? No clue. BUT Joe loves cherries almost as much as I do and I can't wait until he gets home to bring this up for discussion. Thank you!

Those of you who oven roast your turkey (as opposed to smoking, grilling, deep frying, etc)...how do you oven roast your turkey? Do you baste? Do you use oven roasting bags? Do you schmear with herb butters, or prefer to pat dry and roast? If you don't stuff the cavity with dressing, do you stuff with anything else, like onions, apples, celery, etc...?

I'm just curious. :) My family likes turkey with simple seasonings, so for the past 10 years or so I've just sprinkled with a little s and p, and use a roasting bag. They come out tender, browned and a nice crust. Is basting even necessary? I would think that opening the oven to baste is inefficient.

Someday I may want to buy an extra turkey and roast one off season, just for me - looking for ideas out of the norm, that my family insists upon. :) I like the idea of trying something different, but don't want to experiment on them for the holiday. :)

Typically, when oven roasting, I bring the uncooked bird up to room temperature, place it onto the cooking rack, and rub butter all over it. I season simply with just salt (DW doesn't like pepper, heavy sigh). I'll have made broth from the neck, and giblets, and inject a fair amount into the bird, and use some of it while putting together the stuffing.
Sometimes I stuff the bird, sometimes not. When I do, I loosely pack stuffing into the main cavity, and under the neck skin in the front cavity. Then, I use the little metal skewers to hold the neck skin onto the back. I place the turkey into a pre-heated, 425 degree oven, after inserting a probe style meat thermometer in the bird that has been set to go off at 160' F. I close the door and let it cook until the thermometer tells me that the bird is the right temperature. Take the turkey out of the oven, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

I remove the stuffing from the cavity, and cut the skin from in front of the neck stuffing. I place all of the stuffing into a bowl, and usually share the neck skin with one of my kids. I then remove the whole breasts and slice against the meat grain. I arrange this onto a serving platter. Remove the legs and divide into drumsticks and thighs. I slice the meat from the thighs. The drumsticks and thigh meat are arranged on the platter as well. Finally, the meat from the back is cut from the carcass and placed in front of the breast meat on the platter.

The platter is placed onto the table along with all of the sides. Time to bless the food, give thanks, then dig in.

What better time is there in life than sitting with those you love, and sharing a great meal, all while feeling thankful for what you have. Everyone is enjoying the time, and life becomes very good, for a short time. It's always good, but during the holidays, it's very good, almost better than fishing, well, all right, it's definitely better than fishing. Wait, did I say that?:ohmy:

Why do I not baste the bird? It's covered in skin. Skin is that organ that keeps things outside of your insides, well, outside. It protects us, and the bird from things that are trying to get in. Basting juices simply roll off, and into the bottom of the pan, where they came from. And referring to what was already stated, opening the oven door releases heat from the oven, making the turkey take longer to cook.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Those of you who oven roast your turkey (as opposed to smoking, grilling, deep frying, etc)...how do you oven roast your turkey? Do you baste? Do you use oven roasting bags? Do you schmear with herb butters, or prefer to pat dry and roast? If you don't stuff the cavity with dressing, do you stuff with anything else, like onions, apples, celery, etc...?...

I've been doing this for years. Always a moist and delicious result.

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Cheryl, we buy several (read about 6-8) turkeys when they are on sale around holiday time. I save one for smoking in June. Stocking up on turkeys has allowed me to play with several ways to make a turkey--boned and rolled, brined, etc. We eat turkey about once a month during the winter months. It does take freezer space (which we have), but we like turkey better than chicken. I usually get 10-12 lb ones.

I do mine the same way as the Chief does. If the skin seems to be browning too fast, I'll tent it with foil till it's time to remove it. No basting, no bags - I want a crisp skin. I do stuff it - we really love the flavor of stuffing cooked in a the bird but there's always more than will fit, so I have a dish that bakes separately. Or if it's just the two of us, I'll bake the extra the next day.

I will be roasting my extra pieces later today, making my broth and thawing the small breast I bought. Start my pumpkin custard.

Still need to pick up turkey necks if I can find them and asparagus.

Guess I should get to work first.

Technically this probably isn't roasting because I do not elevate the bird on a rack nor cook it uncovered. I do however uncover for the last 1/2hour or so of cooking to make sure the skin is nicely browned
I find that the black enamel roaster renders more dark fond than a foil or aluminum roaster, it might just be me though.
Nothing wrong with using roasting bags, my sis-Inlaw always does and the turkey is always very moist :)

It is roasting - roasting is using dry heat to cook.

The black enamel does cause darker fond because the dark color absorbs heat while light-colored dishes reflect it. That's why baking recipes say to lower baking temp by 25 degrees when using dark-colored dishes.

Nothing wrong with using roasting bags if you get the results you want. I want a crispy skin and the steam inside the bag prevents that.

I used to bring that back from Maine when I remembered. That is an ingredient that just about everyone has in their spice cabinet up there, heck it wasn't until I moved away from Maine that I realized there was another poultry seasoning out there.

I can get it here now, it's $2.99 a box and for me well worth it. Thanksgiving doesn't taste the same without it for me.

For those of us who don't live where Bell's is available, here's a link to a copycat recipe for blending your own. I think the ginger is probably what makes it different from other poultry seasoning:

Bell's Poultry Seasoning copy cat recipe - Home Cooking - Chowhound

I am using PF bread cubes this year for our stuffing/dressing.
They are lightly seasoned so they are perfect for adding other ingredients.
I saute onion, celery, garlic, fresh chopped sage S&P in a stick of butter and make the stuffing using the liquid recommendation on the bag of bread cubes.
I also add 1 lb of sausage crumbled up.

I wonder how some Pecorrino or Parm Reg would taste added to these ingredients or sprinkled over the top. I was thinking about this last night, but was not sure the cheese would marry well with these traditional ingredients?

The stuffing bread has been cubed and is toasting in the oven as we speak. The pie crust dough is chilling in the fridge for the apple pie.

When the pie goes into the oven, I'll dice the veggies for the stuffing and make he brine for the turkey.

I am using PF bread cubes this year for our stuffing/dressing.
They are lightly seasoned so they are perfect for adding other ingredients.
I saute onion, celery, garlic, fresh chopped sage S&P in a stick of butter and make the stuffing using the liquid recommendation on the bag of bread cubes.
I also add 1 lb of sausage crumbled up.

I wonder how some Pecorrino or Parm Reg would taste added to these ingredients or sprinkled over the top. I was thinking about this last night, but was not sure the cheese would marry well with these traditional ingredients?

It's your house, but I wouldn't add it in. Try sprinkling it on when serving, but imo, with the rest of the rich ingredients on the traditional Thanksgiving table, it's unnecessary.

I agree, GG. But I love dressing and am a purist about it, couldn't imagine it with cheese.

Last edited:
I agree, GG. But I love dressing and am a purist about it, couldn't imagine it with cheese.

Maybe cheese and crackers as appetizers. But save some room for the dinner. Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, I think my family is the only one (including my mother) that didn't have pasta of some sort. Lasagna, pasta and meatballs, etc. Then came the big bird. Being Native American and English I would be afraid to stray too far away from my roots. I don't believe there were any Italians at the first Thanksgiving dinner.

I never basted the turkey. It seemed that there was always someone in the kitchen with me and in the way. Sometimes you can have too much help.

I stopped doing a turkey after about five years. The kids and myself only liked the dark meat. The rest of the turkey ended up in the pot for turkey noodle soup. And to this day, I still only like the dark meat on turkey and chicken. Plenty of dressing for inside and in a large casserole bowl. The favorite part of the meal for the whole family. And plenty of gravy.

Fortunately, my daughter's kids like the white meat. For sandwiches the next day. And over the years my daughter has learned to like it. I am still not a fan. Oh, BTW, thinking of going out and shooting a wild turkey? Save your bullet. The meat is mostly dark, and very stringy. Don't even ask how I know. :angel:

Now I'm debating whether to pack my rarely-used muffin tin in order to bake up stuffing muffins for the feed tomorrow. I've been making it ahead of time and then warming it in the crockpot, but the stuffing muffins intrigue me. Anyone else tried this?

Now I'm debating whether to pack my rarely-used muffin tin in order to bake up stuffing muffins for the feed tomorrow. I've been making it ahead of time and then warming it in the crockpot, but the stuffing muffins intrigue me. Anyone else tried this?

How about making ice cream scoop stuffing on a baking sheet, it might be easier.

Back
Top Bottom