"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Thanksgiving Stuffing/Dressing

I have always felt guilty because I use seasoned croutons to make my stuffing instead of bread, but now I've heard everything! I know some people put meat in it, and I tried it once with sausage and my family wouldn't eat it. They are accustomed to just bread stuffing.

In the Sunday paper, there were coupons for those frozen White Castle Burgers, along with a recipe for stuffing using chopped up burgers! Anyone ever heard of that? LOL They showed a picture of a casserole and it looked good, but I can't imagine that!! There was an option to bake it in a casserole or stuff it in the turkey.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've made stuffing with breakfast sausage in it. Also made oyster stuffing. Now I just make stuffing. I buy "stuffing bread" and cube that up and toast it and add Bell's Seasoning, celery, onion, butter and turkey broth.

That's the way mom made it and I want that flavor for my stuffing and so does my family.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm a traditionalist when I make my dressing, just like my mom and my side of the family has always made it. DH and his family rave about his mom's oyster stuffing. I didn't care for it at all. Don't think I'd care for dressing with meat in it either. I'd save the White Castle stuffing for another day, just my opinion.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

I use herbed bread cubes, celery, onion, chicken stock, poultry seasoning and lots and lots of butter for dressing.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I use herbed bread cubes, celery, onion, chicken stock, poultry seasoning and lots and lots of butter for dressing.
Me too.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I make stuffing like my mother's side of my family has for generations. I've fine tuned it as the years have passed but the ingredients are the same.

My mother/grandmother/great-grandmother, etc. always saved their "noses" and "heels" of bread loaves in a paper bag in a dry place until the holidays. By then, it was sufficiently dry and there was enough that could become the bread portion of the stuffing.

I don't do that because there are never any leftover bread pieces in our house. Instead, I buy the least expensive generic sandwich bread, freeze it, then (while still frozen) cut stacks of three slices into cubes. Much easier to cube when frozen. After I've cubed the bread it goes into the dehydrator until it's dry, dry, dry.

The other ingredients include equal parts of chopped onion, celery and green bell pepper. Liquids include some eggs, some milk, lots of butter. Toss together and seasonings of salt, pepper and loads of sage finish the mixture.

Most of it goes into the bird, hence "stuffing" and whatever might be left is put into a buttered casserole with a little broth drizzled over. I cover that with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.

There's rarely any left.

P.S. Sometimes I put the leftover, uncooked, stuffing into a muffin pan and freeze until hard. Remove to a heavy-duty zipper bag and use as individual servings with chicken and pork.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Master Chef

Herb seasoned stuffing cubes NOT crumbles (Pepperidge Farms or Arnold's)
Celery
Onion
Chopped Mushrooms
Chopped Walnuts
Fresh Rosemary, Thyme & Sage
Homemade turkey stock
Poultry seasoning
LOTS of Butter
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

I use homemade cornbread, made a day ahead so it can dry out, and I use Italian sausage in my stuffing. Here is the complete ingredient list:

Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Dressing

Ingredients:

1 day-old cast iron skillet cornbread
2 tsp light olive oil
6 ounces bulk Italian sausage
2 cups onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 large Granny Smith apple, diced
cup diced celery
cup diced fennel bulb
1 tsp garlic, minced
tsp poultry seasoning
tsp salt
tsp fresh ground black pepper
tsp crushed red pepper
1 cups turkey stock
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

I would never even think of baking my stuffing in a casserole dish. That is NOT stuffing! I place the stuffing on the bottom of my turkey roaster, dismember the turkey into leg quarters, wings and breasts. I cook the breasts separately in a 425F oven for 30 minutes to ensure all parts will be ready at the same time. Then I place all the parts of the turkey on top of the stuffing and roast at 350F until breast registers 160 to 165 degrees and the thigh registers 175 to 180 degrees, which can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes depending on the size of the turkey. This allows the stuffing to be flavored by the turkey juices as it cooks, and allows a lot more stuffing than putting it inside a turkey would.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Like my mother, I've always used sausage in my traditional dressing. To me, it's just missing something without it. I made oyster dressing once, and nobody would eat it beyond a taste. Icky.
I tasted a really different dressing as a sample at Trader Joe's recently for the low carb crowd. It's "Riced Cauliflower Dressing" with carrots, dried cranberries, leeks, and celery. Actually it was really tasty!
Souschef would have a fit it I didn't make enough of my traditional dressing to freeze his yearly stash.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

My mother used to put oysters in her stuffing, but I don't. DH would not eat oysters.

Sir Loin, I think when it's baked in a casserole dish it's called dressing...not "stuffed" in the turkey. It's not the same to me, but everyone likes something different.

I thought the corn bread stuffing with sausage was good, but I was the only person eating it.

Tags
dressing, stuffing, thanksgiving