Thanksgiving Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I'm Canadian, that means we are celebrating this coming weekend. I'm currently planning for 14, but there may be more. Just checking my menu here so I'm looking for some ideas.

Menu

Turkey (Duh! just need an aprox weight. I like some leftover so what 18-20lbs?
Stuffing
Gravy
Roast potatoes
Green bean casserole
Broccoli/wild rice thing
Squash (spaghetti or butternut)
Buns
Apple pie
Rhubarb pie
Pumpkin pie (if MIL brings it)
Cheesecake (cherry)

Am I missing anything? Should I do some appys? I generally don't because then folks are hungrier for the real meal. How about nibblies for later that night?

What? No mashed potatoes? Must be a Canadian thing ;)

Happy Thanksgiving Alix and all our other Canadian friends!

I loathe mashed potatoes. LOL. So if I'm cooking someone has to put in a special request for them or they get oven roasted instead.

OK, I'm Canadian, that means we are celebrating this coming weekend. I'm currently planning for 14, but there may be more. Just checking my menu here so I'm looking for some ideas.

Menu

Stuffing
Gravy
Roast potatoes
Green bean casserole
Broccoli/wild rice thing
Buns
Apple pie
Rhubarb pie
Cheesecake (cherry)

Am I missing anything? Should I do some appys? I generally don't because then folks are hungrier for the real meal. How about nibblies for later that night?

Aside from the mashed potatoes? :LOL:
I appear to be missing my invitation though :ermm:

Just a small spelling correction, Alix.

You misspelled pecan pie. It's not spelled 'Rhubarb pie' it's 'pecan pie'

Other Than that, sounds delicious!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!
What - No Mashed is RIGHT! And where's the sweet potato cassarole (I hate sweets!) And creamed pearl onions (I hate them more!) And mashed rutabaga (don't even put that stuff near my nose!) But these are family tradition, so out they come. Someone always misses one or the other.

As italian decent, we always have italian stuff for appetizers, and a tray of lasagna and meatballs and sausage.

Don't think of it as a meal - it's an all day event. Football for the guys and chitchat for the babes.

This may sound silly....but I like to "color coordinate" my holidays. I try to make sure that I have plenty of "the colors of the season" on my menu...I'm all about some presentation. Which reminds me.....no mac and cheese either?

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd much rather have roasted taters than smashed ones. Have a great day/

Happy Thanks Giving to all of our Canadian friends!

GRK I'm with you on the cranberry canned stuff no chunks!! I have no idea why I love it but if its not there, its not the same!!
I always have a tray or two out for guests with little nibbles, not enough to get them full though, tray of different olives, cheeses, crackers, smoked sausage.

Dee,

im so glad there are a few of us that like the canned stuff. It is my favorite part about the holiday or the old way my mom made the candied yams.; it is basiclly just toasted marshmallows.

Im a huge fan of olives. we put out about 2 cans of each (green and black) and I have about all of them even before we sit.

Menu

Stuffing
Gravy
Roast potatoes
Green bean casserole
Broccoli/wild rice thing
Buns
Apple pie
Rhubarb pie
Cheesecake (cherry)

Happy Thanksgiving, Alix. Only things I would add to the basics are:

Soup - I like butternut squash, but since you have squash as a side, you could do French Onion etc -- lots of possibilities.

SALAD - You can keep it simple, or go with spinach/pears/walnuts/goat cheese or Mandarin oranges, assorted greens, purple/red onion rings, sliced mushrooms, etc.

Cranberry sauce

Yams/sweet potatoes

I would keep appetizers light, like crudites.

I usually have two desserts (pies), whipped cream & two flavors of ice cream & coffee. Folks are too stuffed to eat much after the main attraction.

Suggestions/ideas for after dinner:

Fresh fruit platter & assorted cheeses for nibbles.

Here's one of Michael's for an Italian relish tray/plate for nibbles before or after:

Italian Relish Tray Recipe : Michael Chiarello : Food Network

Yeah but as a kid did you also stick olives on each of your fingers and walk around like a monster?? LOL awwww memories!:LOL:

I'm putting in my request for mashed potatoes too !!
Cranberry sauce is a must have.
Happy Thanksgiving Canadian friends !!

How about mashing turnips with the potatos?

Definately need Cramberry sauce.

If I am bringing my granddaughter, the sause MUST be in the shape of the can. (LOL)

I prefer the fresh made, possibly with some orange peel and walnuts.

I didn't clearly get the directions, though.

I speak fluent Canadian, I am married to one, her family is spread out from Lethbridge to Victoria.

Happy thanksgiving.

AC

Happy Thanksgiving Sis! I hope you all have a great day!

I can't do without mashed potatoes either, but since you don't like them, roasted sounds great.

My Cranberry Salad would go great with what you have listed. I would also do the canned jellied cranberries, and both black and green olives. Sweet potaotes would be good, but if you have the butternut squash, you wouldn't need them.

My usual Thanksgiving menu is:

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, yeast rolls, sweet potatoes, jellied cranberries (canned), Cranberry Salad, Waldorf Salad, Fruit Salad, black and green olives, pumpkin pie, and usually another pie, such as pecan. We will be (yay!) going to kitchenelf's for Thanksgiving again this year (again, yay!), so I will make this sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom