Thanksgiving (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
i am always interested in holiday food, menus and traditions around the country.

here is my thanksgiving plans

THANKSGIVING MENU 2009

Appetizers

Stuffed Mushrooms

Stuffed Clams

Soup

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup

Entrees

Roast Turkey

Stuffing

Cold String Bean Salad

Asparagus w/Butter & Grated Cheese

Brussels Sprouts

Wild Rice

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Sauté Mushrooms

Mashed Yams & Acorn Squash

Baked Yams

Cranberry, Tangerine Relish

Cranberry, Tangerine & Pecan Bread

Cheese

Assorted Cheeses & Meats

Desserts & Beverages

Apple Pie

Pumpkin Pie

Whipped Cream

Coffee

Assorted Soda

Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider

Mine is for only three - simplicity is the word for that day:

Turkey, homemade gravy, dressing, jellied cranberry sauce, relish tray (gerkins, olives, pickled watermelon rind), scalloped corn casserole, cranberry bread. (No one in my family needs or desires desert.) And all of this to be followed by a healthy serving of football.

Mine is the same every year. Before, the family would rebel if I changed anything. Now, I think it's just easier to do the same old - same old.

Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes
Mashed rutabaga
Pureed parsnips
Brussels sprouts (sometimes with chestnuts)
Homemade cranberry sauce
Homemade rolls and butter
Pumpkin chiffon pie
Pecan pie

This year there are only going to be 4 of us, so I'll probably cut out the sweet potatoes and the parsnips.

Since there's no family here, this is just a small group of friends, and we're all 'Seniors'. We'll start with cocktails, so I'll have to have some type of nibble to go with the booze, but it won't be much.

I'll be in Mexico City. AWAY with tradition, this year! :LOL:I vote for Tamales.

Ms Mofet, how many people are cooking that huge spread you have planned? I haven't served up that size dinner since I stopped catering.

When I'm home for this holiday, there are two things (other than turkey) that I have to have on the table. One is Mama's Cornbread Dressing, and the other is (my not-too-sweet) Sweet Potato Pie. Everything else is open for pot luck. and the more help, the better I like it!

I'll be in Mexico City. AWAY with tradition, this year! :LOL:I vote for Tamales.

Ms Mofet, how many people are cooking that huge spread you have planned? I haven't served up that size dinner since I stopped catering.

When I'm home for this holiday, there are two things (other than turkey) that I have to have on the table. One is Mama's Cornbread Dressing, and the other is (my not-too-sweet) Sweet Potato Pie. Everything else is open for pot luck. and the more help, the better I like it!

why is it that everyone thinks in HUGE quanity? i will have 5 people this year. its a lot of dishes in small quanities. except for the dessert - a pie is a pie. all the dishes are homemade so quanity is easy to control. why cut back on what people like, just make less.
and then i don't really have to cook again for 2 -3 days!! LOL

Good for you msmofet!! My grandma tried to take out some things as the attendance got smaller but she finally had enough and now does a pot luck. ;)
As for this year, I think it's just the two of us. The monster-in-law and hubby's sister may come but she hasn't said anything as of yet. Our typical menu is:

turkey
stuffing (just for me)
mashed white potato
either candied or mashed sweet potato (just for me)
green bean casserole
gravy
rolls
pumpkin pie with Cool Whip

Good for you msmofet!! My grandma tried to take out some things as the attendance got smaller but she finally had enough and now does a pot luck. ;)
As for this year, I think it's just the two of us. The monster-in-law and hubby's sister may come but she hasn't said anything as of yet. Our typical menu is:

turkey
stuffing (just for me)
mashed white potato
either candied or mashed sweet potato (just for me)
green bean casserole
gravy
rolls
pumpkin pie with Cool Whip
thank you MRS C!!

hey fonzie just popped into my head!! :LOL:

i gave up on cooking the whole meal last year. my son took us all to marie callenders for dinners, the turkey. plate. it stunk and we will be doing something else. last year i was replaced with a restaurant last year. god knows what they will come up with this year. no one wants to do all the work that i did, should be interesting.

This is the first year in a long time that I am actually not cooking. We're driving 6 hours to my mother's house for Thanksgiving this year. She's going to be taking care of the turkey and most of the sides.. I plan to bring a cake or a pie with me.. and since I have no other responsibilities on the big day, I'll have plenty of time to concentrate on a nice risotto. So, I'll be making a butternut squash risotto with a turkey sausage. Usually I have control issues when it comes tocooking Thanksgiving dinner, but this year I'm kind of enjoying just having to worry about my risotto.

Turkey
Homemade pan gravy
mashed potatoes
Praline yams
Honey ginger glazed carrots
green bean casserole
Stuffing (made with Bell's seasoning)
Homemade potato dinner rolls.

Dessert is to be determined, last year was pecan pie, and pumpkin spice cheesecake.

There will only be 3-4 of us, but I cook a lot and everyone gets leftovers!

Turkey
Homemade pan gravy
mashed potatoes
Praline yams
Honey ginger glazed carrots
green bean casserole
Stuffing (made with Bell's seasoning)
Homemade potato dinner rolls.

Dessert is to be determined, last year was pecan pie, and pumpkin spice cheesecake.

There will only be 3-4 of us, but I cook a lot and everyone gets leftovers!
that sounds yummy!! share the praline yam recipe?

My partner's father use to make these for every holiday, he has passed, so I carry on the tradition. Nothing fancy but very tasty.

40 oz. can cut yams, drained (any brand will do)

1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. coconut (optional)
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place yams in ungreased 2 quart casserole or baking dish (Cutting up any larger pieces). In small bowl combine remaining ingredients, blend well. Sprinkle over yams. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly, and top is crunchy.

My partner's father use to make these for every holiday, he has passed, so I carry on the tradition. Nothing fancy but very tasty.

1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place yams in ungreased 2 quart casserole or baking dish (Cutting up any larger pieces). In small bowl combine remaining ingredients, blend well. Sprinkle over yams. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly, and top is crunchy.
thank you

1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, melted

I copied and pasted. Thanks:chef:

Are canned yams just stored in water? I've been hesitant to use them but it seems easier than slicing and cooking them myself. Do they taste the same?

Are canned yams just stored in water? I've been hesitant to use them but it seems easier than slicing and cooking them myself. Do they taste the same?

Mrs. C: Many canned yams are packed in syrup. Be sure to read the labels carefully if you want to avoid them. I have used them in the past, but I really don't like them as well as starting from fresh. I think my pies taste better -- even tho I cook the sweets and mash them.

I can understand that because you can adjust the taste to your liking. I will have to try it out and see what I think. Thanks for the help!

I'm going to work this year, so it is turkey and mashed potato when i get home, maybe gravy. That's enough.

I love roasted turkey with all the fixin's. Thanksgiving is one time I always do it. I do another mid winter with a heritage bird.

butternut squash bisque with sage, garlic, and prosciutto
turkey
sausage wild rice pecan dressing
scratch gravy
mashed potatoes with carrots and swedes
brussles sprouts with pancetta, garlic, and balsamic vinegar
hayman sweet potatoes

pumpkin and mince pies

Our menu for 5 this year is:

Roasted Turkey (done by my sister.)
Home-made gravy
Stuffing
Glazed Ham
Kale (done by my mother.)
Macaroni and cheese, of course.
Mashed Potatoes with roasted garlic
Candied Yams with pineapple, vanilla and marshmallows
Vegetable medly (corn, peas and green beans)
Jellied Cranberry sauce (I've tried fancy cranberry sauces and I still just love the old canned stuff from my childhood)
Rolls

Apple Pie
Sweet Potatoe Pie
Ice cream
Egg nog.

Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom