"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 AM   #31
Master Chef

Oh, come on, tell us!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #32
Cook

OK, here goes . . .My mother was a partner in a floral shop so if we were to have Christmas as a family, it was pack up the kids and head to Cleveland. Mom of course worked Christmas Eve but she had our day planned head to downtown Cleveland to see all the window displays etc.
Having the grand kids at her home for Christmas was huge for my mom. She worked long hours at her shop then came home each day and worked on preparations for the family event. Everything was well planned in advance down to the daily menus. This year we were to have a Honey Baked Ham for Christmas dinner. Now I am going back about 25 years and in those days you had to order a HBH in advance.
Mom did so much food preparation ahead of time there was no room left in the freezer or refrigerator. No problem as our garage was insulated but unheated and in December it served well as a walk-in cooler. So food was neatly packed away in containers and set atop a picnic table that had been moved in from the patio for the season.
Back to the day, we all bundled up and piled into the family station wagon which had been parked in the garage. In the frenzy of the day someone didn't quite shut the door from the kitchen to the garage. While we were enjoying the magic of Christmas with the kids. My dad's Labrador was enjoying the 14# HBH in the garage she now had access to! When we returned home, we found nothing but foil, a well polished bone and a dog with a big belly.
My dad the calm calculating engineer freaked. He immediately called the vet and I quote "Help my dog ate our HBH. What do I do?" I could only imagine the man at the oher end of this conversation and began to laugh so hysterically that I was literally ROFLMAO. My brother dragged me out of the kitchen.
I took the dog for a very long walk in the snow that night. Mom came home and was totally cool about it. "Jim there's a turkey breast in the freezer. We need to get it thawed."
Maybe its not that funny but it is one Christmas that will always stick in my mind.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Hey all, OP here, thanks for your suggestions, I ended up not being able to do it, ( The RA's didn't think cooking came with organizational properties. I appreciate your suggestions. Oh, and I'm a dude >.<. oh and as to the cornish hen, I love it, they're so small and cute... and tasty ^.^ I usually make them with beans, one time I tried it with lime instead of lemon... wooh! I knew limes had a strong flavor, but ****! potatoes were with it... u.u ... I ate it, but wow, I am never using lime peels with chicken, maybe juice, but not the limes. If anyone has any good recipes for em I'll eat em up, I'm always buyin cornish hen.