Thanksgiving with no oven...Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RakiaKorea

Assistant Cook
I'm an American woman, living and work in Korea for the year. I have several American friends here, and being so far from home, it'd mean alot to us to have Thanksgiving dinner together.

Since Korean cooking doesn't have an oven, none of our apartments have one.

I am asking for suggestions on how to cook the traditional Thanksgiving staples without an oven. I have a stove, and a toaster oven, and I could buy a crockpot (or other small appliance).

I am specifically looking for alternative ways to cook a turkey, sweet potato dishes, pies, etc. Any toaster oven chefs out there? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your input,
RakiaKorea

You can cut the turkey up and boil it. As far as the sweet potatoes, you can bake them in the toaster oven and then top them with a struesel made with butter, brown sugar, a little flour, cinnamon, pecans and miniture marshmallows and then return them to the toaster oven to brown the struesel... or you can just boil the sweet potatoes and mix them with some butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. For the pies, you could make fried pies filled with apple pie filling.

I've done without an oven for the past month......believe me you can get by..........you'll need to cut up your turkey however...........or better yet, get a nice goose or duck and cut that up....that would be even better....I'm pretty sure that you can get a duck over there..........serve it with wild rice or just rice in general............if you happen to have a bread maker make your bread in that.......if not ask around to the other expats maybe one of them can make it for you........or do what I did in Cairo......I went to a local bakery and had them make up several dozen rolls for me ahead of time..........there are lots of ways to circumvent not having an oven.......and of course veggies and potatoes are easy to do on top of the stove...........

How about using a grill or smoker? Cut the Turkey in to sections and cook on a smoker. Use a closed grill as an oven. I made potato gratin for 12 in a grill using a dutch oven. Put a baking sheet down first to re direct the heat around the sides of the vessel.

last yea my oven died just before thanksgiving, i did a turkey breast in the crockpot, and it came out great.

I just put it in there added some broth (or Water) added an onion, lil celery, garlic clove and some poulrty seas. it made enough broth for gravy and was very tasty.

turkey was great the only thing missing was the crispy skin.

I would boil the sweet potatos then mash and brown sugar on top and then put into toaster oven to top off the top of them.

good luck and Happy Thanksgiving

You can bake many things in a cast iron camp dutch oven, or similar iron pot. You can use charcoal on the lid and underneath to achieve the proper heating.

Hi ~ I believe I saw an episode of Rachael Ray last fall where she made a stove top Thanksgiving dinner. You may want to check her website/foodnetwork.com. If I remember correctly, she bought slices of turkey breast and pounded them, dredged them in seasoned flour, and sauteed them in butter and olive oil. She made a sauce/gravy for them, too. She also made stove top stuffing (package type). I can't remember how she did the sweet potatoes, but you can always peel and steam them and mash with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. An easy vegetable to make is Brussels sprouts (that is if you like them). Wash and then remove the outer leaves and trim stem. Cut each in half or quarters and steam them. While they are steaming, saute a little bacon or ham, onion, garlic, and some mushrooms in olive oil and butter. Toss the steamed Brussels sprouts in the sauteed veggies and sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Cranberry sauce is easy to make if you are able to get fresh or frozen berries or just buy the canned one (whole berry is my favorite) and stir in a little orange juice, nuts, raisins, and, if desired a little brandy! I have made a stove top apple pie by sauteeing (sp.?) slices of apples in a large skillet with butter, brown sugar, and spices. Saute until tender crisp and then put into a graham cracker, cookie, or nut crust that you have baked just a few minutes in your toaster oven. Top the pie with crumbled graham cracker crumbs, cookie crumbs, or chopped nuts that you have pan toasted with a little butter. Serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or caramel sauce or all three!!!!!! Hope this helps!! Have a good one!!!

I'm an American woman, living and work in Korea for the year. I have several American friends here, and being so far from home, it'd mean alot to us to have Thanksgiving dinner together.

Since Korean cooking doesn't have an oven, none of our apartments have one.

I am asking for suggestions on how to cook the traditional Thanksgiving staples without an oven. I have a stove, and a toaster oven, and I could buy a crockpot (or other small appliance).

I am specifically looking for alternative ways to cook a turkey, sweet potato dishes, pies, etc. Any toaster oven chefs out there? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your input,
RakiaKorea

Can you dig a pit in your yard? Check out this link...
How to cook a turkey in a fire pit! Hmmm good n juicy! | eHow.com

i cooked my 17lb turkey in a plug in roaster oven that my sister gave me for a gift. she found it on sale for about $20. It was perfect . I simply did it to free up my oven.

You can cut the turkey up and boil it. As far as the sweet potatoes, you can bake them in the toaster oven and then top them with a struesel made with butter, brown sugar, a little flour, cinnamon, pecans and miniture marshmallows and then return them to the toaster oven to brown the struesel... or you can just boil the sweet potatoes and mix them with some butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. For the pies, you could make fried pies filled with apple pie filling.

A "boiled" Thanksgiving dinner? I don't think so. . . . . That would be sad.

What about a dutch oven? You can make pretty decent meal in it. I guess it all depends on what is available and your budget.

The best turkey breast I have ever eaten I prepared in a crockpot. Here's the recipe: One envelope Lipton's Onion Soup + One large turkey breast. Cook on high for an hour, then turn to low and cook 6-8 hours. You can add rub some butter and additional spices on the turkey if you want, and maybe add some celery and onion for the gravy that results, but it is so tender and moist.

I have a GE electric roaster that has gotten me through many holidays. Great appliance and cooks a large turkey beautifully. You might want to purchase one of these appliances.

I've also used it to make huge batches of stew or chili for potluck events and, one Thanksgiving, I baked my sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and heated my rolls all at the same time. Freed my oven up for other tasks.

How about using a grill or smoker? Cut the Turkey in to sections and cook on a smoker. Use a closed grill as an oven. I made potato gratin for 12 in a grill using a dutch oven. Put a baking sheet down first to re direct the heat around the sides of the vessel.

We've cooked whole turkeys on the grill, and they were great, and smoked ones are even better. You could also deep-fry the whole turkey...fried turkey is delicious, juicy and tender.
Mashed potatoes and gravy can be made on top of the stove...dressing and cobbler can be cooked in a dutch oven on the grill or in the crock pot.

Constance - the OP lives in an apartment. She said she has a stovetop & a toaster oven, & might be able to pick up a crockpot. Don't think grilling facilities are in the cards. And deep-frying a whole turkey in an apartment? Definitely not safe.

While I'm not familiar with grocery offerings in Korea, I'd suggest buying turkey parts or breaking down a whole bird & cooking the pieces on the stovetop. Brown first, then add some broth & braise covered until done in one or more deep skillets. Any/all sides can easily be done on the stovetop or in the toaster oven or a crockpot.

Back
Top Bottom