"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
You're both invited, should you ever make it to Massachusetts.

jonnyjonny, I have two versions. One for when I have energy, and one for when I'm being a lazyass. Which version would you like?
If I ever make it that far I'll give you a shout for sure

Well if your full of energy then both would be nice but if your feeling like a lazyass then the full of energy version please

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
Well if your full of energy then both would be nice but if your feeling like a lazyass then the full of energy version please
2.25 lb tomatoes, chopped
3-6 curry leaves, roughly torn (optional, I know they can be hard to get ahold of)
1 quart tomato juice
5 t ginger pulp
1 T garlic pulp
8-10 cardamom pods
1 t ground paprika
1/2 t ground turmeric
1 quart water
1/2 c flour
6 T butter
4 t sugar
salt
2 T oil
1 t ajawain seeds
2 cloves garlic, chopped
light cream (garnish)
1 T chopped fresh cilantro

Place all ingredients through water in a large pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for an hour. Mix flour and butter and add to the tomato mix, cook for another 2 minutes to get rid of the lumps. Add sugar and salt. In another pan, heat the oil. Add the ajawain seeds and garlic. Cook until the garlic turns golden brown. Add this mix to the soup and serve immediately, garnished with cream and cilantro.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Rozz that sounds delicious, thanks so much! I will try it for sure and let you know the result
Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
Senior Cook

The lazyass version follows: buy a large can of tomato soup, water it down a bit, add some canned tomatoes and the spices listed above.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I made pizza Tuesday and Kathleen got to watch me toss the dough, she seemed entertained by it.
She is a keeper. A cheap date. Just toss some flour and water around.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Last July 4th. The whole fam damily got together at my daughter's for a pool party. It was one of the best parties I have ever been to. So much laughter. We were all there to discuss my funeral. We finally decided I would die on a Wednesday. Next day is trash day pickup. A large green garbage bag for curbside service. One will play the kazoo and another a comb with the tissue.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Last July 4th. The whole fam damily got together at my daughter's for a pool party. It was one of the best parties I have ever been to. So much laughter. We were all there to discuss my funeral. We finally decided I would die on a Wednesday. Next day is trash day pickup. A large green garbage bag for curbside service. One will play the kazoo and another a comb with the tissue.
I'm taking Shrek for a walk and a picnic in the woods on his Birthday. His Birthday is in January...

I'm kidding folks, I even have the Hefty bag I will be tossing him in.

Shrek wants a wake...it will be the last party I throw.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm taking Shrek for a walk and a picnic in the woods on his Birthday. His Birthday is in January...

I'm kidding folks, I even have the Hefty bag I will be tossing him in.

Shrek wants a wake...it will be the last party I throw.
I told my kids, no tears. Celebrate my life, not mourn my death. And hold a big party dancing and singing "The witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #29
Master Chef

I have two elderly friends I read to a couple times a week. We actually had this discussion once. I told them that if anyone plays Amazing Grace when I die, I promise to haunt them for all eternity. Don't ask me why, but I really don't like that song and it seems to be a staple at funerals. For one thing, I want a party at my favorite bar, not a funeral. And for some reason, I like The Streets of Laredo. My husband says the same but he wants I Regret Nothing (that really isn't the name of the song, but my French-speaking gray matter isn't working)(Edith Piaf).
Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have two elderly friends I read to a couple times a week. We actually had this discussion once. I told them that if anyone plays Amazing Grace when I die, I promise to haunt them for all eternity. Don't ask me why, but I really don't like that song and it seems to be a staple at funerals. For one thing, I want a party at my favorite bar, not a funeral. And for some reason, I like The Streets of Laredo. My husband says the same but he wants I Regret Nothing (that really isn't the name of the song, but my French-speaking gray matter isn't working)(Edith Piaf).
When sung in harmony with just two voices and a minimum of accompaniment, it is a beautiful song. I once heard two young teenagers sing it and it was the most beautiful rendition I ever heard. My favorite of all hymns though is "How Great Thou Art." My sister and I used ot harmonize that all the time. She even sang it at her son's funeral.