"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Master Chef

The last time you entertained

I just had a dozen or two of our friends over for my husband's 65th birthday. We're big on potluck for any party, and I made a huge batch of New Mexican green chili. It was great fun. What have you done lately?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Head Chef

Last time I entertained...

Well, let's see. Last Saturday night, I used the bedroom lamp to make shadow figures on the wall to kinda cheer the wife up.

Oh. You mean like people coming over to eat and stuff. Or to just to eat and not stuff.

Had a couple of people over to eat, one of them the kid's old piano teacher who was widowed last year. Made a nice chicken and shrimp paella. Also made a killer dessert, but can no longer remember what it was. I remember it was good, though.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Half Baked

We had my wife's brother's family over for Sun. Dinner last weekend.
It was like a summer day here.

Tangerine margaritas
Olives and nuts

Charcoal grilled bbq chicken
grilled red bell peppers and asparagus
some other veggie i can't remember
Pilaf
A great bottle of red my BIL brought.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thai peanut glazed salmon and cold sesame noodles with sauteed garlic spinach. Must have been good, no left overs. dinner club for 8. (4 couples, one hosts and does entree, and each other group does appetizer, salad, dessert.) It's always a great time.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Had the parents over for an Indian night (the last time they had Indian, we were in London. 15 years ago). I made:
tomato curry soup
spiced chickpeas
garlic naan
chicken tikka masala
Pistachio kulfi with a saffron sauce
Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Nothing recent, but we have a lot of entertaining coming up in the next month or so.

Weekend after next, my wife has invited several co-workers over to the house for dinner. Three are visiting from India. This is their first time to the US and, between their own dietary restrictions and unfamiliarity with American food, it sounds like they have been mostly eating at Indian buffets since they arrived. I'm thinking BBQ chicken on the grill might be a worthy introduction to American food.

In April, we are doing Easter dinner. We're expecting about 16 family members for that.

DW and I are also hosting our dinner club sometime in April. We are one of four couples who meet every other month to have a multi-course dinner at one of our homes.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Unfortunately a long long time ago. People are not big on entertaining in the home, well, you have the family get togethers but it's nearly always at the parents/mother/fathers house and plus the majority of people live in flats so space is a big issue and many people go out for dinner with friends.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Nothing recent, but we have a lot of entertaining coming up in the next month or so.

Weekend after next, my wife has invited several co-workers over to the house for dinner. Three are visiting from India. This is their first time to the US and, between their own dietary restrictions and unfamiliarity with American food, it sounds like they have been mostly eating at Indian buffets since they arrived. I'm thinking BBQ chicken on the grill might be a worthy introduction to American food.

In April, we are doing Easter dinner. We're expecting about 16 family members for that.

DW and I are also hosting our dinner club sometime in April. We are one of four couples who meet every other month to have a multi-course dinner at one of our homes.
That sounds like a good choice Steve. Who wouldn't like grilled chicken?
I certainly wouldn't cave to the temptation to serve something Indian for the sides either. Have you thought about the "American" sides?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We tend to go out. Holiday dinners at my place are the big draw for kids at work who have no place to go for the holidays. Generally I will just cook up something big and haul it to work to share.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I made pizza Tuesday and Kathleen got to watch me toss the dough, she seemed entertained by it.