"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks like the old "Roast and Boast" bags popular back in the eighties. I thought it was just a fad.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks bakechef, how big are they (in gallons)?
There is no size written on the package at all, not in gallons or inches. I took them out of the bag and measured them, they are 23" (top to bottom) and 19" (side to side). They are quite big.

Here they are in the package.

Here they are out of the package. The cup in the center is a 1/4 cup measure so you can have some idea of scale.

These seem very sturdy, they have a double zip at the top.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

From Get more out of it!
Quote:
ZiplocŪ Brand Big Bags are available in three big sizes:
  • L equivalent to 3 Gallon (11.4L) 1.25 FT. x 1.25 FT. (38.1cm x 38.1cm) 5ct.
  • XL equivalent to 10 Gallon (37.8L) 2 FT. x 1.7 FT. (60cm x 51 cm) 4ct.
  • XXL equivalent to 20 Gallon (75.7L) 2 FT. x 2.7 FT. (60cm x 82 cm) 3ct.
They also say you can store food in them but to not use them in the microwave or oven.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Head Chef

I found out that Market Basket has a 2 1/2 gallon bucket in there bakery. They said they'd give me one.

Anyone have any experience with Nature's Place Turkeys? I guess there all natural fresh turkey's that Hannaford said would be good for brining. They claim all there other turkeys (hannaford brand, butter ball etc... don't need to be brined). I know others have mentioned brining regardless. I also got family who think you HAVE to buy butterball or else Thanksgiving will be ruined.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I found out that Market Basket has a 2 1/2 gallon bucket in there bakery. They said they'd give me one.

Anyone have any experience with Nature's Place Turkeys? I guess there all natural fresh turkey's that Hannaford said would be good for brining. They claim all there other turkeys (hannaford brand, butter ball etc... don't need to be brined). I know others have mentioned brining regardless. I also got family who think you HAVE to buy butterball or else Thanksgiving will be ruined.
Nature's Place is Hannaford's (and sister stores) store brand of all natural and/or organic products. This should be a good quality product, and a decent choice if you want an all natural bird.

You can brine that or any other turkey, doesn't really matter if it is injected.

2 1/2 gallon will be a bit small, unless you are doing just a breast. Ask if they have a big one, maybe the size that 35lb. icing comes in. I think those are 5 or more gallons.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Is anyone trying dry-brining this year? I rubbed my turkey down with a salt mixture I made by buzzing up salt, some sugar, fresh herbs and orange zest. This was on Sunday, and it's supposed to sit until Wednesday morning, when I'll flip it over (breast side) down to finish.

When it's done, there should be no salt visible (it gets absorbed) and then you're supposed to put the bird in the fridge, uncovered, overnight so the skin dries out.

I decided to give this a go after agonizing over brining and contradictory information (how much, how long, etc). I'm using one of those XXL ziploc bags to hold the dry brined bird for now. Has anyone tried this?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I also got family who think you HAVE to buy butterball or else Thanksgiving will be ruined.
I had to laugh at this because when I told my mother in law I bought an organic turkey I could see her look of disapproval even over the phone LOL She thinks Butterballs are the end-all-be-all of turkeys. Now hopefully I can prove her wrong
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

I think it is interesting that the point of this discussion seems to be "the health factor of the devise used to apply poison to the turkey".
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
I think it is interesting that the point of this discussion seems to be "the health factor of the devise used to apply poison to the turkey".

You must be using the wrong ingredients.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Brine is primarily salt which is one of our most abused poisons.

Tags
turkey