"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Brine is primarily salt which is one of our most abused poisons.
Please take your negativity elsewhere. Almost all of the negative press salt has recently received is over-exaggerated. Salt is a healthy and necessary part of all diets and, like all things, is perfectly fine in moderation.

To call salt a "poison" is so beyond ignorant, I don't even know why I'm responding.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Brine is primarily salt which is one of our most abused poisons.

I consider your position on salt as extreme and not based in reality. Salt consumed in reasonable quantities is essential to human life and improves the taste of food.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Can we get back to the topic? I'm interested in people's brining techniques and if anyone has tried dry-brining.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
Can we get back to the topic? I'm interested in people's brining techniques and if anyone has tried dry-brining.

I have not tried dry brining on poultry. Tried it once on steaks and must have overdone it as they were very salty.

I have been using the Good Eats/Alton Brown brining process/recipe for a while and have had excellent results.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I did find a contradiction... Alton said at some point in an interview you can brine longer than a day by cutting back the salt content, say from 1 cup to 1/2 cup, and just brining for longer.

But Americas Test Kitchen claims that any brine that isn't full strength doesn't work, no matter how long you brine.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
I did find a contradiction... Alton said at some point in an interview you can brine longer than a day by cutting back the salt content, say from 1 cup to 1/2 cup, and just brining for longer.

But Americas Test Kitchen claims that any brine that isn't full strength doesn't work, no matter how long you brine.

Since salt creates the chemical reaction (I am oversimplifying) I believe you need a certain amount of salt to effect the change in the proteins.

Exactly how much, I don't know.

But I have heard from several sources that you should not cut back much on the amount of salt you use. I never have.

I have dry brined chicken (The Zuni Cafe roast chicken recipe -- fabulous) with excellent results and dry brined a turkey breast but never dry brined my Thanksgiving turkey since everyone loves them JUST AS IS and would kill me if it was different So i wet brine 2 big birds.

I will say that it seems like a common misconception that dry brining is mess-free, when it isn't.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

It is nice not having the bucket-o-brine in the fridge, although I was prepared for it. The 16 lb turkey I got was a little on the big and bulky side. Dry brining is the perfect thanksgiving experiment to test out on my in-laws, lol. If it doesn't turn out so great, meh, I'll wet brine next year!

Bonus: Here's a great video from Alton Brown and lifehacker on properly carving a turkey: How to Properly Carve a Turkey
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #38
Master Chef

My first bucket is going onto the front porch tonight. I have two fridges but never have enough room to brine in them.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
My first bucket is going onto the front porch tonight. I have two fridges but never have enough room to brine in them.
I think you really want to brine below 40.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Effington... SILF?

Too funny.

Tags
turkey