"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Master Chef

We never, ever go out on V-day or Mothers' Day. It's always crowded every where and service always suck. Best times are spent at home or at a friend's.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Certified Cake Maniac

We usually never go out on Valentine's Day either. DH says I can cook as fine a meal as the fanciest restaurant any day of the week so why go out on the busiest day!

But because DH is off this week and we are having a staycation with day trips, we are planning one for Valentine's Day. We will drive to Chilliwack (about 1.5 hours), which is in the Fraser Valley and has a beautiful lake. If it is a nice day we will take a walk along the shore, if not, we will drive around the huge park. Then we will go to a simple family restaurant just on the outskirts of town - more of a locals joint than for travelers. Across the street is a very small movie theatre and if there is something good playing, we will go. This is a repeat of one of the greatest memories of our time before we got married!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We usually never go out on Valentine's Day either. DH says I can cook as fine a meal as the fanciest restaurant any day of the week so why go out on the busiest day!
Sorry, but a husband or boyfriend tell me he won't take me out for a birthday or holiday because I'm a great cook is about as much of a compliment as saying staying at a resort or hotel is a waste because I vacuum better, if ironing his own clothes or send it to the laundry is a waste because I can do it better, or cleaning the house himself or hiring a maid is a waste because I do it better ... blah-blah-blah.

Yes, there are times I prefer not to go out for a holiday. But puh-leeze do NOT tell me it's because I do it better. Self-serving compliments are insults in disguise.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Sorry, but a husband or boyfriend tell me he won't take me out for a birthday or holiday because I'm a great cook is about as much of a compliment as saying staying at a resort or hotel is a waste because I vacuum better, if ironing his own clothes or send it to the laundry is a waste because I can do it better, or cleaning the house himself or hiring a maid is a waste because I do it better ... blah-blah-blah.

Yes, there are times I prefer not to go out for a holiday. But puh-leeze do NOT tell me it's because I do it better. Self-serving compliments are insults in disguise.
Claire, for me it is actually a compliment because I am trained as chef and catered for many years. I have enjoyed creating something special for us for Valentines Day. Mostly I am a happy home cook so a few special days of the year I get a little fancy.

I apologize that my words offended you. That was not my intention at all. And I am really looking forward to the simple home cooking at the place we are going to. It will be a special day! And my hubby takes me out often on "non-special days" to get me out of the kitchen so all is good.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
Executive Chef

DxW suggested we go to an afternoon movie. That sounds like just the ticket for something to do on V-Day.

I am making an Asian inspired dinner, with spicy sesame chicken ( one of her favorite dishes), jasmine rice and twice cooked green beans and will toss some pea pods in with the chicken. Small salads. For dessert there will be a no bake key lime cheese cake with sliced strawberries on top.

After the movie, we will stop by her house and pick up her dog. The dog usually gets a good afternoon walk, which will keep them both busy while I prep dinner. I can have the chicken cut up, the sauce ingredients chopped and/ or set up and ready to go, and the veggies prepped in advance. There isn't a lot of cooking to be done in advance, just do it. At least that's the plan as far as I can scope it out.

I will make the cheesecake tomorrow. Hopefully there will be good strawberries at the store. Otherwise, frozen berries made into a sauce and add a dollop of whip cream. Oh, and I need a bag of fresh key limes too. Double Oh, I think some flowers on the table (that she can take home after dinner). I hope they have good stuff at the store.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

We haven't decided what we want to do yet. We were going to look at various restaurants to see what they are offering. Many only offer a fixed menu which might not appeal to us. Although we may just go out for sushi. If not, we will end up having steaks at home :)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Casa Dawg. Valentine's day is on a Tuesday, and this week will be really busy at work. I may do a spiral cut ham and share with a friend just out of the hospital.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
Senior Cook

At home. Picked up some NY strip steaks that when butterflied will have a heart shape. We'll have those, some roasted baby potatoes, a salad of heirloom grape tomatoes and avocado.
Chocolate dipped strawberries and fancy chocolates and a nice dessert red wine for dessert.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #29
Cupcake

Like many, we will celebrate at home. In years gone by, we always had themes for Valentine's Day. This year, Frank is planning the meal. I know it involves duck so I am looking forward to it!

Everyone who posted what they are having: It all sounds great!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I got a duck!

Tags
dinner