Valentine´s Dinner: At Home or Restaurant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We usually never go out on Valentine's Day either. DH says I can cook as fine a meal as the fanciest restaurant any day of the week so why go out on the busiest day!

But because DH is off this week and we are having a staycation with day trips, we are planning one for Valentine's Day. We will drive to Chilliwack (about 1.5 hours), which is in the Fraser Valley and has a beautiful lake. If it is a nice day we will take a walk along the shore, if not, we will drive around the huge park. Then we will go to a simple family restaurant just on the outskirts of town - more of a locals joint than for travelers. Across the street is a very small movie theatre and if there is something good playing, we will go. This is a repeat of one of the greatest memories of our time before we got married!

We usually never go out on Valentine's Day either. DH says I can cook as fine a meal as the fanciest restaurant any day of the week so why go out on the busiest day!

Sorry, but a husband or boyfriend tell me he won't take me out for a birthday or holiday because I'm a great cook is about as much of a compliment as saying staying at a resort or hotel is a waste because I vacuum better, if ironing his own clothes or send it to the laundry is a waste because I can do it better, or cleaning the house himself or hiring a maid is a waste because I do it better ... blah-blah-blah.

Yes, there are times I prefer not to go out for a holiday. But puh-leeze do NOT tell me it's because I do it better. Self-serving compliments are insults in disguise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, but a husband or boyfriend tell me he won't take me out for a birthday or holiday because I'm a great cook is about as much of a compliment as saying staying at a resort or hotel is a waste because I vacuum better, if ironing his own clothes or send it to the laundry is a waste because I can do it better, or cleaning the house himself or hiring a maid is a waste because I do it better ... blah-blah-blah.

Yes, there are times I prefer not to go out for a holiday. But puh-leeze do NOT tell me it's because I do it better. Self-serving compliments are insults in disguise.

Claire, for me it is actually a compliment because I am trained as chef and catered for many years. I have enjoyed creating something special for us for Valentines Day. Mostly I am a happy home cook so a few special days of the year I get a little fancy. :chef:

I apologize that my words offended you. That was not my intention at all. And I am really looking forward to the simple home cooking at the place we are going to. It will be a special day! And my hubby takes me out often on "non-special days" to get me out of the kitchen so all is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
DxW suggested we go to an afternoon movie. That sounds like just the ticket for something to do on V-Day.

I am making an Asian inspired dinner, with spicy sesame chicken ( one of her favorite dishes), jasmine rice and twice cooked green beans and will toss some pea pods in with the chicken. Small salads. For dessert there will be a no bake key lime cheese cake with sliced strawberries on top.

After the movie, we will stop by her house and pick up her dog. The dog usually gets a good afternoon walk, which will keep them both busy while I prep dinner. I can have the chicken cut up, the sauce ingredients chopped and/ or set up and ready to go, and the veggies prepped in advance. There isn't a lot of cooking to be done in advance, just do it. At least that's the plan as far as I can scope it out.

I will make the cheesecake tomorrow. Hopefully there will be good strawberries at the store. Otherwise, frozen berries made into a sauce and add a dollop of whip cream. Oh, and I need a bag of fresh key limes too. Double Oh, I think some flowers on the table (that she can take home after dinner). I hope they have good stuff at the store.

We haven't decided what we want to do yet. We were going to look at various restaurants to see what they are offering. Many only offer a fixed menu which might not appeal to us. Although we may just go out for sushi. If not, we will end up having steaks at home :)

Casa Dawg. Valentine's day is on a Tuesday, and this week will be really busy at work. I may do a spiral cut ham and share with a friend just out of the hospital.

At home. Picked up some NY strip steaks that when butterflied will have a heart shape. We'll have those, some roasted baby potatoes, a salad of heirloom grape tomatoes and avocado.
Chocolate dipped strawberries and fancy chocolates and a nice dessert red wine for dessert.

Like many, we will celebrate at home. In years gone by, we always had themes for Valentine's Day. This year, Frank is planning the meal. I know it involves duck so I am looking forward to it! :yum:

Everyone who posted what they are having: It all sounds great!

Like many, we will celebrate at home. In years gone by, we always had themes for Valentine's Day. This year, Frank is planning the meal. I know it involves duck so I am looking forward to it! :yum:

Everyone who posted what they are having: It all sounds great!

I hope you mean a real duck and not having to duck out for something to eat...:LOL:

Claire, for me it is actually a compliment because I am trained as chef and catered for many years. I have enjoyed creating something special for us for Valentines Day. Mostly I am a happy home cook so a few special days of the year I get a little fancy. :chef:

I apologize that my words offended you. That was not my intention at all. And I am really looking forward to the simple home cooking at the place we are going to. It will be a special day! And my hubby takes me out often on "non-special days" to get me out of the kitchen so all is good.

Oh, lord, you did not offend me. I truly love to cook as well. Not a pro, and I do it for enjoyment. But I also do it and have been for 30+ years, and Valentine's day is meant to be a "spoil us" day. We've lived in very odd places over the years, and I've cooked many special meals for special occasions. But sometimes I want to be treated, no matter how much I love cooking! Husband saying he'd rather me cook a special meal is fine for his birthday (in a few weeks; my cousin Joanna's New Mexico chili), but not when he wants to treat me.

Oh, lord, you did not offend me. I truly love to cook as well. Not a pro, and I do it for enjoyment. But I also do it and have been for 30+ years, and Valentine's day is meant to be a "spoil us" day. We've lived in very odd places over the years, and I've cooked many special meals for special occasions. But sometimes I want to be treated, no matter how much I love cooking! Husband saying he'd rather me cook a special meal is fine for his birthday (in a few weeks; my cousin Joanna's New Mexico chili), but not when he wants to treat me.

It's not the food, it's the company, if the Ogre isn't there, it's not special. I don't care where we eat, home, restaurant, fast food place...it's the reason we were eating and doing it together that matters. I only have a finite number of Valentine's Days with the Ogre left, they will all be special.

since when did valentine's day become a holiday to only celebrate the woman in your life? isn't it an equal opportunity holiday of expression of love? that's how i've always seen it.

i've noticed this trend in a lot of ads and in personal conversations and experience of late.

if i remember correctly, my first thought of valentine's day was with the little rascals (where i learned many life lessons) where the boys fought over who darla chose to be her valentine. it was a 2 way street, though. love is about what you give and therefore share, not about what you receive.

since when did valentine's day become a holiday to only celebrate the woman in your life? isn't it an equal opportunity holiday of expression of love? that's how i've always seen it.

i've noticed this trend in a lot of ads and in personal conversations and experience of late.

if i remember correctly, my first thought of valentine's day was with the little rascals (where i learned many life lessons) where the boys fought over who darla chose to be her valentine. it was a 2 way street, though. love is about what you give and therefore share, not about what you receive.
I couldn't agree with you more, Bucky T!

i should add that i think princess fee said it best. it dudn't matter about anything else except to be with shrek.

well, not me, of course. i meant fee... :cool:

It's not the food, it's the company, if the Ogre isn't there, it's not special. I don't care where we eat, home, restaurant, fast food place...it's the reason we were eating and doing it together that matters. I only have a finite number of Valentine's Days with the Ogre left, they will all be special.

Absolutely. There is no point to Valentine's day if you don't have a valentine, be it your spouse, your friends, your kids, or your pets. In my case, right now, my husband and I are healthy enough to walk to town to eat. WE're going to do it during the day, a lunch at a sushi restaurant probably.

Back
Top Bottom