"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Valentine´s Dinner: At Home or Restaurant?

Valentine´s Dinner, where are you celebrating: at home or at a restaurant ?

Since it is a week night, we are going to be at home, verses go for tapas however, keeping it simple however, in good taste. I am thinking of Sardegna ( Sardinia ) Cassola, a boulaibaisse of shellfish and fish or Indian Coconut Ginger Prawns.

We both have wings and wheels, and another item to wear, or perfume or trinket, is last thing we both need.

We are driving to Porto in northern Portugal, wine country next Friday morning for a 3 day 2 night wkend.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes.

Valentine's Day is going to be especially busy, and stressful, because part of it will be spent consulting with the "powers that be" of the nursing home that Glenn's mother has recently had to be admitted. Those meetings, we've already had several, are unpredictable, stressful and not short. Not how we anticipated spending any part of Valentine's Day.

We'd planned to go out to a new, very highly recommended, restaurant in our area but that will have to happen later in the week.

So, I've regrouped and planned a calm, quiet dinner at home with all the foods Glenn loves. I have plenty of Valentine "love" tricks up my sleeve, not the least of which is a beautiful flower arrangement, candles, my own handmade Valentine napkins, special tableware, etc. He'll be too tired to go out and, frankly, so will I. It'll be plan B for us.

However, the silver lining is that we get to celebrate twice. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love going out to a nice steak restaurant for Valentine's Day, or even to our favorite Mexican restaurant. We have no money to go out though, so we will be eating our Valentine's Day meal at home. I'm not sure what yet. If I have to go with what is already in the freezer, it may be beef stew. Our local grocery store has ribeye steaks on sale though, so I may get a couple of those, and cook them along with a couple baked potatoes and a vegetable.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Everymom

My birthday is a couple of days before Valentine's day so we go out for that. On the 14th, we'll likely do a roast chicken.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My birthday is a couple of days before Valentine's day so we go out for that. On the 14th, we'll likely do a roast chicken.
Well happy birthday Alix !!

My hubby's birthday is today. We had a nice steak dinner at home.

For Valentines we will go to our favorite restaurant for a quiet stress free meal.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB

Well happy birthday Alix !!

My hubby's birthday is today. We had a nice steak dinner at home.

For Valentines we will go to our favorite restaurant for a quiet stress free meal.
Happy birthday, DH of MrsLMB! We'll get Alix on her day!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I love going out to a nice steak restaurant for Valentine's Day, or even to our favorite Mexican restaurant. We have no money to go out though, so we will be eating our Valentine's Day meal at home. I'm not sure what yet. If I have to go with what is already in the freezer, it may be beef stew. Our local grocery store has ribeye steaks on sale though, so I may get a couple of those, and cook them along with a couple baked potatoes and a vegetable.

You don't need much money to celebrate Valentines day once you have yer sweetie!

A heart shaped cookie cutter and some red food coloring is really about all you need.

Cut some heart shaped deli ham slices for breakfast.

Heart shaped deli cheese slices or roasted red pepper slices for a sandwich.

Red mashed potatoes for the beef stew.

Maraschino cherry juice over some ice cream for dessert.

The main thing is the sweetie!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We will be home for Valentine's, I have to work, so too tired to do much of anything and I already got my present from Shrek. I do have to learn how to keep my mouth shut, though...he told me he hadn't gotten me anything, yet. And I just had to tell him of course he did...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We usually stay in to avoid the crazy crowds. My partner hinted at a dinner at a local Indian place, a special valentine's day special. I am just getting over the flu, so the thought of Indian food just doesn't sit well....... I don't really like it on a good day...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
We will be home for Valentine's, I have to work, so too tired to do much of anything and I already got my present from Shrek. I do have to learn how to keep my mouth shut, though...he told me he hadn't gotten me anything, yet. And I just had to tell him of course he did...
I think your fart card said it all. So sweet!

Tags
dinner