Valentine's Day Dinners.. Any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions! Hope you all have a great valentines day :wub:

Got one more idea for you to consider;

This is so simple, and tastes great. You will need fresh scallops, butter, angel-hair pasta, a little cream, fresh clams, and lump crab meat.

Put a tbs. or so of butter into a saute pan and get it hot enough to fry in. In another pot, heat 1/2 cup of water to boiling, and place the clams in the pot. Cover and cook until the clams open. Cook the pasta, then dress with butter and a bit of cream.

While the pasta is cooking, fry the scallops on each side until lightly browned. When the pasta is cooked, drained, and dressed, plate it. Place scallops and clams onto the plate.

Make a blonde roux from 2 tbs. butter and 2 tbs. flour. stir in clam broth until a sauce is formed. Season with a quarter tsp. of Old Bay. Stir the lump crab meat into the sauce. Ladle sauce over pasta, scallops, and clams. Serve hot.

For desert, I'm thinking something simple, like Hershey's Kisses, or chocolate covered cherries, in a romantic setting. And as BT said...

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

hi everyone,

I would like to make a nice dinner for my boy friend to surprise him. Is there any good suggestion on such a special Valentine's Day? I am focusing on a English cuisine. I prefer a grill dish at least.

Skewer up some kebabs. Thread vegetables on separate skewers as their cooking times can vary. Well, maybe put onion slices between each piece of meat you choose to use. Brush with a favorite sauce while cooking.

Chocolate. Enjoy the day.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to make a dinner for my boyfriend and myself this coming thursday, but wasn't sure what to make. We've been dating a long time now, so it's not like I have to impress him or something, I just figured I would do something special for him, since he is always treating me. That being said, I really don't plan on making a five course meal, just something flavourful, not terribly time consuming (I have a seriously busy schedule) and delicious! I was thinking maybe a pasta, but I'm still up in the air. Any suggestions? What are you guys doing for your special someone this Valentines Day?? :)

Welcome to DC. :)

Pasta is a good choice. So many ways to go, i.e. lasagna, manicotti, stuffed shells, linguine & clam sauce & on & on. I don't know what you two like, but time-constraint-wise, you might go with steak, salad, potato & dessert.

We are going to a French restaurant, but I have some ideas for future "romantic" dinners, i.e.

Baked Camembert w/ marcona almonds, & sliced pears drizzled w/ lemon juice, on the side.

Quail stuffed w/ figs wrapped in prosciutto, risotto w/ chanterelles, & asparagus w/ lemon juice.

Happy Valentine's Day. :)

Last edited:
My duck is still frozen on one side (I took it out of the freezer Tuesday).

I will just make that tomorrow. Wonder what Kathleen will make me for dinner now. :D

I stopped at the store and there was a tiramisu sitting there looking lonely...so, we had dessert for dinner with coffee.

Kathleen brought home two crabs (the west coast type) and a big bag o clams from Costco.

Seafood feast I tell ya.

Cost me 60 bucks, but had a buffet with DW that included perfectly cooked cauliflower and broccoli, with Hollendaise sauce, Battered cod, fried shrimp, crab-cake stuffed whitefish, very tender pork tenderloin, with cherry sauce, a slice of pepperoni pizza, tender, medium rare standing rib roast, chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate covered pinapple (they had a chocolate fountain), and cold milk. I may have forgotten something, oh, cheese filled ravioli with meat sauce.:LOL:

Everything was cooked perfectly except for the breaded shrimp, which was slightly overcooked.

Best of all, I hopped on the scales this morning and found myself less than a pound heavier. I'll work that off, and more, this weekend. It's snowing here. I'll be breaking out the shovel, after early morning ice fishing, and helping a lady move.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

dungeoness?

or was that after dinner for not thawing the duck? :cool:

Yes.

No.

I can't help it if took so long for the duck to thaw. To be honest I had to run cold water into it yesterday just to get the neck and sauce packet out as they were still frozen to the duck.

Method for thawing frozen duck:

FrankZ - "Ducky, you're heart is as cold as ice today. What's wrong?"

SO - "I took you three days to get our Valentine's dinner thawed! That's what's wrong!"

"But my beatiful, lovely, bestest girl, I started 2 days before Vaneltine's day. I didn't know it would take so long."

"Well if you didn't keep the fridge a half degree above freezing, you might have had a chance."

"But then the beer would be too warm."

"So, you're telling me that your cold beer is more important than my Valentine's Day dinner?"

"Um, no, no. I was keeping the beer cold for you."

"That's why you drank 2/3rds of it in front of that stupid basketball game."

"I'll buy more, and your favorite Kind."

"When?"

"Tonight."

"And flowers?"

"Yes Ducky, and flowers."

"And chocolate, and i'm not talking the cheap stuff."

"(heavy sigh) Yes dear, and chocolates."

Silence

"Frank."

"Yes dear."

"Why aren't you in the car yet?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Ducky. I'm heading out right now."

FrankZ hastens out of the house and down to the local Costco and picks up the flowers, beer, and chocolates." He hurries back home to find his Ducky sitting on the sofa, waiting for him. He puts the beer in the fridge and brings her the flowers and chocolates.

"Sit here beside me, Frank." she beckons seductively.

He sits. She drapes her legs across his lap.

the rest is up to FrankZ.

And that's how you thaw a duck-y.;):LOL: (I wish they had a tongue in cheek smiley,)

FrankZ, I know your home isn't like the fictitious story above. I just had one of those moment where I had to spin a yarn:rolleyes:. And you were a handy subject with your frozen duck. Give your SO a big hug, and go roast a duck. You know you want to.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I just want to make sure to point out that when the duck wasn't thawed someone brought me seafood...

Just sayin....

I just want to make sure to point out that when the duck wasn't thawed someone brought me seafood...

Just sayin....

:LOL: I said it was fictitious. She brought you seafood? How do I get that kind of treatment? DW doesn't care for seafood, except for lobster and shrimp.

:LOL: I said it was fictitious. She brought you seafood? How do I get that kind of treatment? DW doesn't care for seafood, except for lobster and shrimp.

If I could explain it then it would be in a book and I would make a fortune.

Or she is just a sweetie. One or the other.

But, she was Crabby...

She bought it but I cooked it. That keeps her from being crabby.

If I could explain it then it would be in a book and I would make a fortune.

Or she is just a sweetie. One or the other.

She bought it but I cooked it. That keeps her from being crabby.

Frank; I'm in awe. The spotlight was turned on you, for no reason except you were there. You've been teased, and have given exceptional responses. Your wit is admirable, as is your ability to take a lighthearted jab. Good job. There are many who would fold under less pressure. You now belong to the Joe Cool club, along with Snoopy, me, and a few other great people.

FrankZ = :cool:

What! There is no Joe Cool club. But I thought there was one. Ah well, if there was one, you'd be the newest member.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom