"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
Head Chef

KE- that past looks amazing. I've never tried risotto but now this thread has got me thinking about trying a seafood risotto for Valentines Day. I would probably make chocolate mousse or individual molten chocolate lava cakes for dessert or maybe chocolate dipped strawberries with a flourless chocolate torte. I take my chocolate dessert seriously on Valentine's Day.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Cook

Indian is one ethnic food she is not wild about. Nice blog, I fwd'd it along to my veg-head.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
KE- that past looks amazing. I've never tried risotto but now this thread has got me thinking about trying a seafood risotto for Valentines Day. I would probably make chocolate mousse or individual molten chocolate lava cakes for dessert or maybe chocolate dipped strawberries with a flourless chocolate torte. I take my chocolate dessert seriously on Valentine's Day.
Risotto is NOT difficult. You just have to know when it's done and don't rush things. Find a basic recipe and go from there. The only difference in MY basic recipe to this version is mine always includes lemon zest. You can then add different things. Sometimes I will use red wine and braise some radicchio to add to it at the end. I have used peas (not canned peas, but, frozen), seafoods, cut up asparagus...truly, the list is endless.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Master Chef

I hate going out for Valentine's Day as well, but I also want to keep it simple, but festive. So every year I just go out & splurge on 2 of the biggest lobsters I can find, boil 'em up, & serve them with melted lemon butter, shoestring fries, & a nice green salad. Usually start off with some type of seafood appetizer first, & finish with something rich & chocolatey. Works for us.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Someone on another board suggested personal pizzas. You could prepare the ingredients ahead of time, then make them together and eat 15 min later.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Cook

Haven't decided what to do with valentine dinner yet.. oops. is that bad? now I am a bit worried..
Old 02-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Cook

Valentine's Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraaaaa View Post
Haven't decided what to do with valentine dinner yet.. oops. is that bad? now I am a bit worried..
Ah, less than an hour til meal time and THEN I'd start to worry.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I hate going out for Valentine's Day as well, but I also want to keep it simple, but festive. So every year I just go out & splurge on 2 of the biggest lobsters I can find, boil 'em up, & serve them with melted lemon butter, shoestring fries, & a nice green salad. Usually start off with some type of seafood appetizer first, & finish with something rich & chocolatey. Works for us.
Seafood and Chocolate!!!! --- I don't suppose you need another Valentine do ya??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

I agree with the scallop risotto, asparagus and of course chocolate. Maybe a salad?

Have you ever made molten chocolate cake? It is easy and oh so decadent. I have made several recipes and found this one to be the easiest and yet it tastes a good as Hung's from the Top Chef Cookbook...no, really! And you can use any 70% chocolate or even just a good semi-sweet (not chips). I usually serve it with a raspberry coulis but you can serve it plain or with some ice cream or whipped cream. It is always best warm but is so quick that if you have your ingredients ready you can whip it up just before you serve dinner, put it in the oven and it will be ready for dessert time!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
--- I don't suppose you need another Valentine do ya??
Hey buddy, no cutting in line!!! I was here first

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote