Valentine's Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Uncle Bob: "Seafood and Chocolate!!!!:wub: --- I don't suppose you need another Valentine do ya??"
"Kitchenelf: "Hey buddy, no cutting in line!!! I was here first :angel::glare:"

You guys are too cute, too funny, & too nice. But seriously - whether you're the guy or the gal, who wants to spend V-Day slaving in the kitchen? Hubby is happy to do whatever I want to do - eat in/out, have him cook, whatever - but I've just found that hot-out-of-the-pot lobsters cooling while he's coming through the door with a dozen roses for yours truly has just hit the spot for many years now. Sometimes I make the appetizers & dessert; sometimes I buy them from reputable sources - either way I do NOT want to be spending the day in the kitchen!!

"Uncle Bob: "Seafood and Chocolate!!!!:wub: --- I don't suppose you need another Valentine do ya??"
"Kitchenelf: "Hey buddy, no cutting in line!!! I was here first :angel::glare:"

You guys are too cute, too funny, & too nice. But seriously - whether you're the guy or the gal, who wants to spend V-Day slaving in the kitchen? Hubby is happy to do whatever I want to do - eat in/out, have him cook, whatever - but I've just found that hot-out-of-the-pot lobsters cooling while he's coming through the door with a dozen roses for yours truly has just hit the spot for many years now. Sometimes I make the appetizers & dessert; sometimes I buy them from reputable sources - either way I do NOT want to be spending the day in the kitchen!!

I agree Breezy - I ordered sushi one year and was glad to buy it, bring it hope, plate it in the most amazing configuration, with ONE plate to wash! :LOL: A couple lobster tails would certainly be easy enough and there are plenty of good appys, if you so choose, and desserts to be bought.

Now, when I wasn't working I didn't mind cooking all day. I did a whole big "thing" and I had a blast doing it. Chocolate covered Banana skin so when you peeled the banana away from the chocolate it looked like a banana and then I put all sorts of chocolate covered fruit in the banana peel, I can't remember the name of that dessert you mold in the porcelain heart with holes in the bottom....oh, WHAT is that name???? I made a strawberry coulis of sorts to serve with it...it was AWESOME! ...and I'll never do it again! :LOL:

Kitchenelf, I believe you're thinking of "Coeurs la Creme" - a fresh cheese allowed to drain until solid & then served, traditionally, topped with a strawberry or raspberry puree.

For all the help, how could I say "No!"? You're all welcome but its a long way out here for most.

I made fresh lobster, too, and had so much fun doing it the way I remember Julia Child doing it years ago on tv......she positively beamed from corner to corner....those lobsters didn't stand a chance...I said the day that we could afford it I was making it myself........and I did.............served with wild rice and a salad.....dh loved it...........so many great ideas here!!!! :):)

Here's a possible candidate for that rich chocolate dessert. I made this a few weeks ago for a chocolate-loving friend's birthday, and it was a big hit:

Chocolate Almond Mousse Cake

For the base:

½ cup chopped toasted sliced almonds
¾ cup AP flour
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
¾ cup butter, room temp

In a food processor, combine flour, powdered sugar, almonds and cocoa. Add butter and process until blended. Pat into 9 or 10 inch spring form pan and bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Cool completely.

For the mousse:

½ cup water
½ cup sugar
2 TBS corn syrup
200 grams good chocolate, preferably dark, broken into chunks
1 TBS vanilla
4 egg yolks
I envelope unflavored gelation, dissolved in ¼ cup water
2 cups whipping cream

Heat to boiling ½ cup water and ½ cup sugar, along with the corn syrup. While it is heating, separate eggs and put chunks of chocolate in the food processor. When the syrup is boiling, pour into the food process and start motor. Pour egg yolks and vanilla through the feed tube. Add gelatin and mix REALLY WELL. Scrape into a bowl and cool.

When chocolate is cool, whip cream until very stiff. Fold in cooled chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour onto cake base and chill for 8 hours or overnight.

Before removing from pan, run a sharp knife around the edges. Decorate with additional whipped cream, cocoa, toasted slivered almonds, as desired.

"Kitchenelf: "Hey buddy, no cutting in line!!! I was here first :angel:

I can get to Breezy's before either of you. :) I really like the seafood idea.

You all know that someone, and I do mean someone, has to work if you eat at home. Y'all know that I love to cook, I really do, and my husband does as well. But there are dishes to wash, stove to clean, etc. Not fun stuff. So, yes, I want to be taken out. My husband made the reservations a week ago. The place is within walking distance. No chores for anyone.

Yes, there are always "some" dishes, but that's why I do the lobsters. I normally buy the appetizer(s) & dessert, so all I end up with is the lobster pot, a small saucepan for the melted butter, & a baking sheet for the appetizers & shoestring potatoes. Not a big deal.

Since V-day will be on a Saturday this year, I don't mind the being in the kitchen. I have it pretty easy anyway with HH being such a meat and potatoes fan.

Ribeyes
Scalloped potatoes (I may use Boursin for the cheese this time)
Caesar salad (daughter's fave)
flourless chocolate cake (I have a ton of eggs to use up)
some kind of fruit coulis for the cake; thinking of mandarin oranges this time

Kitchenelf, this is a beautiful dish... Mind if I help myself? :LOL:

img_832438_0_2ad6a28baf479750fb891925a2b302c4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom