Valentine's Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being divorced, I'm secretly happy that VD is going to be cold and rainy, here, Bwaaahaaahaaa. Plus, at the end of VD, I'll have a lot more money in my wallet than I did when I was married. Food was the cheap part, the diamonds and sapphires were the hard part.

But, not to pee on your Wheaties, it is hard to go wrong with steak. I may even cook one up for myself and psycho-poodle on VD.

I am a ribeye person, myself. The ex liked ribeye, too. I usually buy USDA Choice from COSTCO.

I started using my Anova to sous vide my steaks about a year ago, and now it is the only way I cook them. Once they are sous vide to a perfect medium-rare, I put it on a grate on top of a charcoal chimney to sear/char. It is like a blast furnace. One minute per side, and I have a perfectly charred steak that is medium rare inside, all the way through. And, even though it is reddish inside, it is actually hot. It doesn't need to rest, either, when the sear is done that hot and that fast.

I have not found any better way to cook a steak. I did the same thing tonight with some lamb chops, but used a scorching hot cast iron pan to sear them, instead of the charcoal chimney. Same perfect results.

CD

Since my parents can't go out for Valentine's Day, I am making grilled tenderloin and I haven't figured out the sides. Dessert will be individual key lime pies (one for each of them). Their personal "chef" will be preparing a special meal for two with the table set with the Valentine's Day decorations (down to the heart-shaped napkin rings). I will probably eat leftover wildrice hotdish.

Last edited:
I started using my Anova to sous vide my steaks about a year ago, and now it is the only way I cook them. Once they are sous vide to a perfect medium-rare, I put it on a grate on top of a charcoal chimney to sear/char. It is like a blast furnace. One minute per side, and I have a perfectly charred steak that is medium rare inside, all the way through. And, even though it is reddish inside, it is actually hot. It doesn't need to rest, either, when the sear is done that hot and that fast.

CD

I know someone who swears by sous vide, then uses a propane torch to finish his steaks.

I know someone who swears by sous vide, then uses a propane torch to finish his steaks.

I have an attachment for my propane torch called a Searsall. A propane torch by itself works, but leaves a propane taste on delicate foods, like fish. The Searsall eliminates that.

I don't use the Searsall on heavier, dense meats, like steak. It takes a long time, and doesn't get the intense sear you get from the charcoal chimney blast furnace.

CD

Mr Perfect will get beef stew, his favorite and for dessert jelly, the little ones favorite.,

Back
Top Bottom