Valentine's Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Is anyone fixing a Valentine's dinner at home on Tuesday?

I don't want to go out to eat but am not coming up with any ideas for the meal. Although I have lots of ideas for dessert!

What would you fix?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steak!

This has turned out well. I am about to drag DH to the nicest meat counter in town and he will pick out steaks that he says he will grill. Feeling much better now!

Sounds good GG.

We came home with two rib eyes. After much discussion, I put them in the freezer. He said no, I said they will be in the frig until Tuesday afternoon. I really have next to no experience with beef, have mainly dealt with wild game or goat meat. I plan on taking them out of the freezer Mon eve and marinating Tue afternoon. Is this too wrong?

I just got home with two New York strip steaks. I'm going to wrap them in paper towels and put them in the fridge on a small tray so they can air-dry for a little dry-aging at home. No plastic. They sear better when they're dry.

We are not home tonight or tomorrow, Monday we take care of the grands all day. Tuesday Valentine's day is perfect to celebrate a holiday! Weather low 40'sF, perfect for grilling and will be the first time this winter. I'd say this calls for steaks on the menu, although Dx has re-discovered she likes pork, so it could be poke chops. I'm sure we will decide over the weekend.

Not sure about dinner yet, but I'm thinking of lollipop lamb chops, roasted fingerlings, and steamed asparagus.

Also, I'm planning on stopping by the old neighborhood for some snowball cupcakes (vanilla cake with coconut/marshmallow icing, topped with shredded coconut) from an artisanal cupcake joint.

Knowing me, we'll probably be eating leftovers on Tuesday! :LOL:

Actually, I'm thinking of making chicken breasts with Spice House Baharat seasoning. Asparagus if I can make it to the corner store after the snow dump. And this Lemon-Pistachio Israeli Couscous recipe sounds yummy, so I think we'll have that.

...Also, I'm planning on stopping by the old neighborhood for some snowball cupcakes...
Please tell me you won't put starter fluid on those! :mrgreen:

For Valentine's Day we will probably be having leftovers from today. Pirate is roasting a large (at least for us) piece of beef today. Small baked taters, green beans for a veggie. What is leftover we will make open faced sandwiches the nest day. No dessert.

I do wish our appetites would return. Because neither one of us are as active as we used to be, we don't eat as much.

We know what you are going to be doing for your loved ones. But what are they doing in return?

We'll probably have stuff from the freezer, beef tenderloin and a Maine lobster, maybe 1 of the escargot platters Craig got me a couple of weeks ago, plus some dutchess potatoes and some kind of vege or arugula salad. Strawberries are in full swing here right now so we got 2 lbs when we went to the grocery and an angel food cake, but I don't think the angel food is going to last. We are making a recipe this week that uses 3 egg yolks so I thought I'd make some meringues with the whites for the strawberries too so maybe we'll have those.

Sounds good GG.

We came home with two rib eyes. After much discussion, I put them in the freezer. He said no, I said they will be in the frig until Tuesday afternoon. I really have next to no experience with beef, have mainly dealt with wild game or goat meat. I plan on taking them out of the freezer Mon eve and marinating Tue afternoon. Is this too wrong?

I wouldn't marinate 2 rib-eyes from the "nicest meat counter in town." Maybe dry age them a bit like GG, but definitely not marinate. Let the beef flavor shine.

I wouldn't marinate 2 rib-eyes from the "nicest meat counter in town." Maybe dry age them a bit like GG, but definitely not marinate. Let the beef flavor shine.
Agreed. I missed that before. I'm thinking about making some chimichurri sauce to go with them. But no marinating good steak, ever.

Wife: "So what are we doing for Valentine's Day?"

Me: "I'll cook dinner for you that night."

Wife: "But you cook dinner for me every night."

Me: "See, every day is like Valentine's Day around here."

Wife: "So what are we doing for Valentine's Day?"

Me: "I'll cook dinner for you that night."

Wife: "But you cook dinner for me every night."

Me: "See, every day is like Valentine's Day around here."

Sometimes we are under appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd agree with "no marinade" but I always "dry brine" the rib eye steaks I grill with great results.
Beth, if you read this excellent explanation from Steamy Kitchen, you'll be an overnight expert on the perfect steak.
Steak Recipe: How to turn cheap "choice" steaks into "prime" steak
I'm definitely going to salt them well at least an hour before cooking. Love Steamy Kitchen. I used to read her site all the time but in the last few years, it's become little more than a bunch of commercials for giveaways. This is a great article, though.

Mr Right and I celebrated this weekend and we had springrolls, home made and it was yummy.

Back
Top Bottom