"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Howdy, kids. Do you ever get a bit fed up with multi-course, heavy, traditional holiday meals? I just snapped - feel that I can't do it anymore - and decided to make a relatively light, simple Easter dinner!
To be honest, we have so many light, simple dinners throughout the year, I love nothing more than to put together a big meal for a lot of people. I can't help but feel that your guests might feel a little slighted if they come expecting dinner and are instead served salad and bread.

But I understand that it can be overwhelming. For our Easter dinner, I make the main course, but always enlist the help of the other guests to bring sides, appetizers, dessert, etc. It helps cut down on my workload and allows others to feel like they are contributing to the meal. Maybe it would also be a good solution for your situation.

Another thing to consider. If making a holiday dinner is no longer enjoyable, maybe next year it's time to turn the tongs over to another family member. There's no shame in that.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I can understand your desire to simplify your day and make some non-traditional foods. I wonder how this will impact the emotions for entire day and what it will do to your loved ones who were expecting tradition. By your comment above, you already know at least one guest will be in a bad mood.
I do intend to notify him that things will be simpler this year and will be nice about it. There are no young children anymore, just adults, and I think they will have a good time.

This guest, a relative, is always in a bad mood. The world's greatest chefs could cater an event at my place and I assure you that he would bitch.

As a general thing, when a woman wears the pants in a family, she has a good right to them. - Josh Billings.
Daizymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Master Chef
I am a big fan of the traditional holiday menu where you cook for a week and eat leftovers for the week after. I remember them from my childhood and I think it is important for young children to share those traditions. Having said that, this year it is just me and I am making a quiche and a couple of sides with lemon bars for dessert.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
Head Chef
One year, years ago I made Sweet and Sour Chicken with rice. No one complained.
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Thanks to all of you very much for your input! Great reading.
As a general thing, when a woman wears the pants in a family, she has a good right to them. - Josh Billings.
Daizymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Master Chef
Well, I agree with some of the others. I always go all out for family guests with a holiday meal, otherwise I wouldn't do it and just not invite them, or have a potluck. I'm afraid with such a simple meal you will appear uncaring, although I'm sure that's not the case.

I'm thinking you are focusing too much on the guy who can't be pleased, rather than the ones you really care about. There's one in every family and the worst thing you can do to a Narcissist is to ignore him.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
Executive Chef
There have been a few times over the years that holiday dinners were just for me and the hubby. I don't really like cooking huge traditional meals for just the two of us so we always simplify things or do something non-traditional. There have also been times where we had the "holiday meal" more than once during the week of the holiday (Thanksgiving with the aunts and parents, then again with some friends or the hubby's family). If given the choice I always try to make one of the meals non-traditional, especially if I'm cooking and I know the people attending have already had a traditional dinner at another time during the week. For the most part I've had to work the holidays for the last ten years or more so I haven't been able to host the dinners very often.
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef
I may be doing something different this year. There may only be two of us so I will do a traditional turkey dinner, but use a chicken instead. That's sort of different....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Our corned beef will be ready on Sunday, so maybe we'll have that.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
You could do a room temp sliced ham, some room temp pesto on linguine, passing a bowl of chopped tomatoes to crown the pesto, your salad, bread, a small anti-pasto platter, dessert and that's it The grouch needs to be warned and then ignored. Enjoy your holiday.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote