Want to do something different for Easter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Howdy, kids. Do you ever get a bit fed up with multi-course, heavy, traditional holiday meals? I just snapped - feel that I can't do it anymore - and decided to make a relatively light, simple Easter dinner! :LOL:

Menu:

Salad of mixed greens/avocado/pears/sliced almonds with plain
made-from-scratch salad dressing

Home-made Easter bread (a.k.a. Paska - the bread with lots of
eggs.)

Butter/home made pickles/jam.

Egg salad.

Tea & Berry Crisp.

Well, I am just waiting to see the diners' faces. One in particular is a difficult person who loves to eat huge quantities of several different kinds of rich food when he comes here. :ohmy: He is not above making demands right at the table for something that he thinks he should have but which isn't there!!! :pig:

My question:
has anyone here ever done something really different for an Easter (or other big holiday) meal with guests? Dying to know!

I feel light hearted and happy just thinking of not standing over a stove for hours!

It will be just the two of us, so not planning on any extravagant meal. Probably ask Glenn what he'd really, really like. Thought about making pashka (have a mold), but will make Blood Orange Cheesecake instead.

Haven't had any "big" Easter meals for many, many years.

As for your question about non-traditional menus for a holiday, I surprised everyone this Christmas. Dinner was at our house and I didn't want to be tied to the kitchen cooking and not be able to enjoy our 12 guests, so I prepared roasted Cornish hens, potatoes in parchment and a few other dishes. It was a surprise for all our diners, but everyone loved the meal.

I plan on making deer wellington for Easter.

On nontraditional menus Kathleen did a full mexican spread for Christmas one year, the first year my parents came to see us. My Dad thought she was kidding when she told him she was making it, she wasn't. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. In spite of himself he enjoyed it, which is good cause she cooked for two days.

Howdy, kids. Do you ever get a bit fed up with multi-course, heavy, traditional holiday meals? I just snapped - feel that I can't do it anymore - and decided to make a relatively light, simple Easter dinner! :LOL:...

Well, I am just waiting to see the diners' faces. One in particular is a difficult person who loves to eat huge quantities of several different kinds of rich food when he comes here. :ohmy: He is not above making demands right at the table for something that he thinks he should have but which isn't there!!! :pig:...

I can understand your desire to simplify your day and make some non-traditional foods. I wonder how this will impact the emotions for entire day and what it will do to your loved ones who were expecting tradition. By your comment above, you already know at least one guest will be in a bad mood.

I believe I would mention that this year's dinner will not be the traditional. There's nothing wrong with wanting to change things up, but yeah, I'd mention it.

you might even send out a general email to all invited so they know what to/what not to expect. you can gently suggest that if they have a problem, they can always bring what they'd like but please coordinate it with you by a certain date.

since we're going to my parents' house for easter, i was thinking of making a whole leg of lamb over roasted potatoes and veggies (onions, garlic, fennel, and red peppers)

dw isn't a fan of lamb save maybe frenched rib chops, so i might bring a few of those to quickly broil for her just before we're ready to eat. my parents absolutely LOVE lamb but never buy it because of the cost, so i think it might be a nice treat for them.

the question is how do i roast it at home, then transport it an hour and a half and keep it from either drying out of getting the veggies and spuds too greasy?

Howdy, kids. Do you ever get a bit fed up with multi-course, heavy, traditional holiday meals? I just snapped - feel that I can't do it anymore - and decided to make a relatively light, simple Easter dinner! :LOL:
To be honest, we have so many light, simple dinners throughout the year, I love nothing more than to put together a big meal for a lot of people. I can't help but feel that your guests might feel a little slighted if they come expecting dinner and are instead served salad and bread.

But I understand that it can be overwhelming. For our Easter dinner, I make the main course, but always enlist the help of the other guests to bring sides, appetizers, dessert, etc. It helps cut down on my workload and allows others to feel like they are contributing to the meal. Maybe it would also be a good solution for your situation.

Another thing to consider. If making a holiday dinner is no longer enjoyable, maybe next year it's time to turn the tongs over to another family member. There's no shame in that.

Last edited:
I can understand your desire to simplify your day and make some non-traditional foods. I wonder how this will impact the emotions for entire day and what it will do to your loved ones who were expecting tradition. By your comment above, you already know at least one guest will be in a bad mood.

I do intend to notify him that things will be simpler this year and will be nice about it. There are no young children anymore, just adults, and I think they will have a good time. :)

This guest, a relative, is always in a bad mood. The world's greatest chefs could cater an event at my place and I assure you that he would bitch.

I am a big fan of the traditional holiday menu where you cook for a week and eat leftovers for the week after. I remember them from my childhood and I think it is important for young children to share those traditions. Having said that, this year it is just me and I am making a quiche and a couple of sides with lemon bars for dessert.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

One year, years ago I made Sweet and Sour Chicken with rice. No one complained.

Well, I agree with some of the others. I always go all out for family guests with a holiday meal, otherwise I wouldn't do it and just not invite them, or have a potluck. I'm afraid with such a simple meal you will appear uncaring, although I'm sure that's not the case.

I'm thinking you are focusing too much on the guy who can't be pleased, rather than the ones you really care about. There's one in every family and the worst thing you can do to a Narcissist is to ignore him. :D

There have been a few times over the years that holiday dinners were just for me and the hubby. I don't really like cooking huge traditional meals for just the two of us so we always simplify things or do something non-traditional. There have also been times where we had the "holiday meal" more than once during the week of the holiday (Thanksgiving with the aunts and parents, then again with some friends or the hubby's family). If given the choice I always try to make one of the meals non-traditional, especially if I'm cooking and I know the people attending have already had a traditional dinner at another time during the week. For the most part I've had to work the holidays for the last ten years or more so I haven't been able to host the dinners very often.

Our corned beef will be ready on Sunday, so maybe we'll have that.

You could do a room temp sliced ham, some room temp pesto on linguine, passing a bowl of chopped tomatoes to crown the pesto, your salad, bread, a small anti-pasto platter, dessert and that's it The grouch needs to be warned and then ignored. Enjoy your holiday.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom